Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What am I doing wrong and I keep breaking my TT boards?

Forum for kitesurfers
rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What am I doing wrong and I keep breaking my TT boards?

Postby rynhardt » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:37 am

just by looking at the very clean and straight crack, I'd wager there's a weak point in either the core or the layup on that line.
Perhaps a butt joint in the core where two halves were glued together.
Or some discontinuity that caused a stress riser in the laminate.

But it's probably the board and not you.
These users thanked the author rynhardt for the post:
Gpet78 (Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:26 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

HenkDeVries
Rare Poster
Gear: Ozone
Has thanked: 0

Postby HenkDeVries » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:43 am

Had a bit of same experience, however I am not doing extreme kiteloops, just high jumps above 10/12m.
Also around 88kg

I broke 2 TT, both broke in the middle on the top, so I would suspect a hard flat landing with equal pressure on both feet.
Boards from 2015 and 2018, both wood core.

Both companies told me to try and land with less impect (also no knee or ankle issues what so ever), so I am focussing on heliloops this season:)
But still, I do not know a lot of people who break boards.

Can advise you to check Lieuwe, he claims his boards to be indestructible, so could be a good case for you! If you break that one, I would suspect he is willing to talk about it and get you a board you wont break:)
These users thanked the author HenkDeVries for the post (total 2):
iriejohn (Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:46 pm) • Gpet78 (Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:26 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

SWO_kite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Belle River, Ontario, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Yes
Style: Foil/Freeride/Big air
Gear: 11m Reedin SM V2, 8m & 6m SS Raptor
128 Shinn Sunburner + 75 AL-mast + K wing
140 Best Spark, 133 Cabrinha Caliber

Postby SWO_kite » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:34 pm

Gpet78 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:55 am
The fracture is on the bottom side vertical to the axis of the board and exactly in the middle / centre of the board. The cracke is facing out. 2017 model bought it new , wood core. I dont't want to reveal the company till I listen to what they will say about this. This is the 6th board that I break but in an 18 years period and the first 2 board were not made storng so they actually dont count.
Based on what you're saying and looking at the image, I can't understand why the board would snap in that direction.

If you were to land with even weight on each foot, the board should have snapped on the top surface - much like when a skateboarder snaps the nose/tail off their deck. Knowing that the break is on the bottom makes me think you're landing very awkward. Perhaps you're favoring one foot over the other during landing and it's causing an imbalance in the energy transfer and forcing either the nose/tail in an upwards direction. But even that doesn't make much sense either. I feel you would have to have your foot in the exact center position (top side) when landing to create damage like that.

The only other thing I can think of is that perhaps you're storing/transporting the board with stuff on top of it?

Can you (Gpet78) think of any reason there would be excessive force applied in the center of the board from the top surface?

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:10 pm

Buddy of mine is obsessed with kiteloops and has horrific crashes. Recently he started using shorter lines and my knees implode just by watching him land. His board looks indestructible tho, it is a f-one wtf, maybe try that one.
These users thanked the author Exal for the post:
Gpet78 (Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:29 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

thewindego
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Gear: core and windego boards

Postby thewindego » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:04 pm

Where is the failure in relation to your back footstrap inserts?

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:22 pm

Not sure what else to use if u broke wood and foam core boards? :) Solid carbon?

But hey, the person I know broke more boards than you, with his 110kg and 190cm.

I would suggest to buy a bulldozer board, something thick in the middle. Or ride a shorter board, like Toby does.
It is the leverage you put on the board. Bigger the board, bigger the leverage. Smaller board is not hard to ride. It is a personal preference.

D.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:32 pm

Maybe time to get a custom board. Get one made stronger to suit your style.

I agree with others, Wood core is the go. For really robust look at bamboo, that can take a beating.
I would also add, rocker to the board, that will dissipate the load on landing better.

Gpet78
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Gpet78 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:56 pm

plummet wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:32 pm
Maybe time to get a custom board. Get one made stronger to suit your style.

I agree with others, Wood core is the go. For really robust look at bamboo, that can take a beating.
I would also add, rocker to the board, that will dissipate the load on landing better.
Why not carbon? I thought that carbon boards are stronger, but I never owned a carbon board.

Anyway I will just let this board rest in peace and forget about it. Custom board is a good idea. Thanks everyone for your input, writing about this situation and sharing it with you helped me to get over it and let it go. I don't want to bash the company, shit happens, but I am not going to buy another board from that company soon.

PS With my new kite I had some kind of strange landings where I did not point the board downwind at the landing after the kiteloop and I landed with a huge splash of water and making a loud sound that could be heard 100s of meters away and made everyone look at me. I think this was happening because I was too afraid to point the board downwind because I had too much speed and forward pull and I was almost sure that if i point the board downwind my boards nose will catch on the water and have a bad crash, so I preffered to crash with both feet so that the impact of the crash is less.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:54 pm

In engineering terms you increased the impact rather than reduced it. The impact forces will be a function of the de acceleration, the quicker you stop the higher the force. Might be a good idea to research the mind set of the Kota guys with respect to their attitude to hot landings.

My undercarriage has been knackered for years and I would choose anything but flat even weight. If I had too much forward speed I would be pulling my feet up and engaging arse hopefully to try and skip and then engage an edge. Anything but a sudden stop, especially as you obviously have heavy Kahoonas!

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:22 pm

Worth mentioning the timing of your loop - when you yank the bar, is critical to how heavy you land/the catch. Milliseconds in it

Return to “Kitesurfing”