Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Next Slingshot UFO/Ghost Kite Generation

Forum for kitesurfers
Nak
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 182
Local Beach: Stevenson, WA; Rooster Rock, OR; Sauvie Island, OR; Kailua HI sort of...; Baja, MX; Ackerman Island, OR (I'm the only local kiter here...)
Favorite Beaches: Stevenson, WA; Kailua, HI; Baja; Isla de Coche; Rhodes, GR.
Style: Foil
Gear: Lift, Slingshot, Naish, Kanaha Shapes, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Lift

Re: Next Slingshot UFO/Ghost Kite Generation

Postby Nak » Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:36 am

purdyd wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:53 am
4m ufo

And the 4m leading edge is light gray and the 5m is black.

And I had the 5m out today and maybe my old 5m is a bit baggy but the new 5m sits in a better place and is a bit faster flying. And when it goes slack has less of a tendency to go leading edge down so it floats better.

So in spite of appearances slingshot did make some changes for the better.
Thanks for that! I'm feeling pretty good about 4-5-6-8-11 for my quiver. It sounds like the 8 should feel about like the 1.1 9m? Which would thrill me no end. 4-5-6 for typical Gorge winds, 8 for lighter days, and 11 for really light days west of the gorge. (And my eFoil for even lighter days, LOL.) I'm not planning on a 3m yet, what do you think? I should be 180# by June. (190# right now.)

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:40 pm

Nak wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:36 am
purdyd wrote:
4m ufo

And I had the 5m out today and maybe my old 5m is a bit baggy but the new 5m sits in a better place and is a bit faster flying. And when it goes slack has less of a tendency to go leading edge down so it floats better.

Thanks for that! I'm feeling pretty good about 4-5-6-8-11 for my quiver. It sounds like the 8 should feel about like the 1.1 9m? Which would thrill me no end. 4-5-6 for typical Gorge winds, 8 for lighter days, and 11 for really light days west of the gorge. (And my eFoil for even lighter days, LOL.) I'm not planning on a 3m yet, what do you think? I should be 180# by June. (190# right now.)
That sounds like a great quiver. I don’t think the 8m will have the pull of the 9m but can imagine the 8m feeling more like the v1.1 7m in flying qualities.

The 6m v2 might be a really nice size.

No comment on the weight loss :D

Nak
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson, WA; Rooster Rock, OR; Sauvie Island, OR; Kailua HI sort of...; Baja, MX; Ackerman Island, OR (I'm the only local kiter here...)

Postby Nak » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:14 pm

purdyd wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:40 pm
Nak wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:36 am
purdyd wrote:
4m ufo

That sounds like a great quiver. I don’t think the 8m will have the pull of the 9m but can imagine the 8m feeling more like the v1.1 7m in flying qualities.

The 6m v2 might be a really nice size.

No comment on the weight loss :D
The 9m had more pull than I needed for the conditions I flew it in, So an 8m should be just about right. The 9m just couldn't stay in the air in the ultra light stuff, I'm hoping the 11m will. I'm actually very happy with my 12m Boxer; I really haven't had to sit on the beach if anyone else was able to ride. I'm hoping the 11m goes as low and feels better in the air. We'll see in Cancun in a couple of weeks.

You got me curious when you mentioned one of your UFOs had a black leading edge. My 8m LE is light gray, the 11m LE is black. I wonder what's up with that?

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby airsail » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:46 pm

Nak wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:14 pm

You got me curious when you mentioned one of your UFOs had a black leading edge. My 8m LE is light gray, the 11m LE is black. I wonder what's up with that?
Talked to the local Slingshot rep yesterday, he just received his UFO’s. One has a black leading edge, the other grey. He queried it with Slingshot, pretty simple, they ran out of grey cloth.

I use BRM Clouds, the 10.4 can be a pig to relaunch, because there is so little wind on the water surface in these condition there is almost not enough to push the water off the canopy. Just have to be very patient and hope for a gust to clear the canopy. 8 mtr is the biggest I use now, otherwise I just use a foil kite if it’s that light.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:24 am

I had a closer look comparing 5m first and second generation

The v2 front bridle is longer on the outboard le bridles and the kite trailing edge is slightly wider.
9B36F905-B146-45A9-BEAD-0498C7A8CC26.jpeg
0934F892-23F6-4049-B1AD-12C4F39FD44D.jpeg
These users thanked the author purdyd for the post:
Nak (Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:52 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Nak
Frequent Poster

Postby Nak » Sun May 08, 2022 7:15 pm

Wow. I just had my first light wind session with the 11m UFO. 6-8 mph. This kite is everything I wanted in the V2. The 11m is faster and lighter on the bar than the 9m V1.1. As soon as the kite can fly, it is fast turning and fast moving--given the size and wind. In ridiculously light wind, it was easy to work the kite to get up. I've flown other great light wind kites, but none of them move or maneuver like this one. It's just a pleasure to fly in light winds. I'm sure a huge ram air kite would give you a knot or so on the low end, but I don't care to fly something that slow. Well done Slingshot!!!

oceanromeo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 64kg
Gear: Slingshot UFO 4, 5, 6 and 8. Phantasm PFI633 and PTM684, Hope Craft V1.

Postby oceanromeo » Mon May 09, 2022 5:21 pm

I’ve been having a blast on the new 9m UFO in wind speeds of around 9 to 12 knots. I’ve had it on a 20” Slingshot Sentry bar and 23m lines. It’s perfect for me at 64 kilos. Relaunch is a cinch in these wind speeds. I also have the 7 and 5. I fly them on the 17” Sentry bar with stock 20m lines. The 7 is easily rideable from 12 knots. I have a 1230cm2 wing. I would probably ride the 5m easily from 15 knots up.

Nak
Frequent Poster

Postby Nak » Sat May 14, 2022 5:33 pm

I made a short video showing a light wind launch of the 11m UFO. This is on the beach in Cancun. The wind measured 4.5 to 6 mph (I did see a couple of lulls below 4 mph...) with my anemometer just prior to launching, but I'm sure the wind @ 3m was slightly higher. Note the flag hanging limply, the breeze on the cabana curtains, and the shadow of the toy kite flying above me. This is without doubt pretty light wind. I should have had my wife hold the anemometer beside me while I was launching... Regardless, you get the idea.

There are shallow sand bars at this location until you get past the breakers, so I had to have my board brought to me after I dragged out a bit. As soon as I started moving the kite felt quite strong with the apparent wind. I had to stop frequently the first day to clear the foil of seaweed, and the kite would just float in the air with what felt like almost no wind. I was always able to get up again, but one time I had to work the kite a LOT to get back up. I did water relaunch the kite once the next day with similar wind, and it was pretty darn easy to do. I can post a video of that as well If anyone is interested.

I'm not going to make any claims that this is the "ultimate" light wind kite, but I was the only kiter out for two days when the wind was crazy light, and there were other foilers out on days with a couple of knots more wind. I'd love to see it up at the same time as some other light wind kites just to see how the bottom end truly compares. I do know I really loved this kite in these winds. The kite just handled so well, with good turning speed and good speed through the window--given the size and low wind speed. It felt smaller in the way it flies than other light wind kites I've flown, while providing all the power I needed as long as it could fly. I will say without qualification that this is my favorite light wind foiling kite that I've ever flown.

https://youtu.be/woAb5jA2_ok
These users thanked the author Nak for the post:
oceanromeo (Sat May 14, 2022 7:41 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

oceanromeo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 64kg
Gear: Slingshot UFO 4, 5, 6 and 8. Phantasm PFI633 and PTM684, Hope Craft V1.

Postby oceanromeo » Sat May 14, 2022 7:42 pm

Nak wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 5:33 pm
I made a short video showing a light wind launch of the 11m UFO. This is on the beach in Cancun. The wind measured 4.5 to 6 mph (I did see a couple of lulls below 4 mph...) with my anemometer just prior to launching, but I'm sure the wind @ 3m was slightly higher. Note the flag hanging limply, the breeze on the cabana curtains, and the shadow of the toy kite flying above me. This is without doubt pretty light wind. I should have had my wife hold the anemometer beside me while I was launching... Regardless, you get the idea.

There are shallow sand bars at this location until you get past the breakers, so I had to have my board brought to me after I dragged out a bit. As soon as I started moving the kite felt quite strong with the apparent wind. I had to stop frequently the first day to clear the foil of seaweed, and the kite would just float in the air with what felt like almost no wind. I was always able to get up again, but one time I had to work the kite a LOT to get back up. I did water relaunch the kite once the next day with similar wind, and it was pretty darn easy to do. I can post a video of that as well If anyone is interested.

I'm not going to make any claims that this is the "ultimate" light wind kite, but I was the only kiter out for two days when the wind was crazy light, and there were other foilers out on days with a couple of knots more wind. I'd love to see it up at the same time as some other light wind kites just to see how the bottom end truly compares. I do know I really loved this kite in these winds. The kite just handled so well, with good turning speed and good speed through the window--given the size and low wind speed. It felt smaller in the way it flies than other light wind kites I've flown, while providing all the power I needed as long as it could fly. I will say without qualification that this is my favorite light wind foiling kite that I've ever flown.

https://youtu.be/woAb5jA2_ok
Yea do share the water relaunch video. I’d like to see it.

Nak
Frequent Poster

Postby Nak » Sat May 14, 2022 8:02 pm

oceanromeo wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 7:42 pm
Yea do share the water relaunch video. I’d like to see it.
Wilco. It may take a few days as I'll need to dig through a few hours of footage to find it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”