Tons of boards for water, land, and snow
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Next Slingshot UFO/Ghost Kite Generation

Postby Greenturtle » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:06 pm

grigorib wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:52 am
Jamesconn300 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:48 am
Hello KF! I just noticed that the UFO is at 1.1 generation, looks like they went from D1 to D2 fabric so they are renaming, I don't think they changed profile or bridles at all.
How do D1 and D2 fabrics compare?
-D1 is lighter of course. (On kites this small, how much difference in weight? Can anyone post the weight difference between v1 and v1.1? It is significant with big kites, not sure it adds up to a difference one can feel in the air on a 5m, but we are talking about light wind/light loading in general per size in this case because foiling. Perhaps a minor difference in canopy able to refill to relaunch in whisper light breeze, less weight is better here for sure, but just speculation)
-Both rip when snagged on driftwood.
-Both pinhole when left flapping on shells while you drink a beer.
-Both last a long time when cared for properly.
-Both are repaired easily, however D2 has a slightly higher tendency to rip in an irregular pattern, potentially making repair slightly more expensive.

I think slingshot has filled a gaping hole in the market from the big brands with this, and props to them for it, but there is still quite a bit of wiggle room left on weight reduction if they would use thinner bladder material. This is what people want in a kite like the ufo. Make it as-light-as-possible. Are they using a big inflate valve on this? If so, why? If removing the strut/s to save weight increases performance this much, why stop there? Cut weight at every opportunity and it will add up - to another noticeable step up in performance.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:22 pm

D1vsd2 maybe 5 to 10 grams per meter?

Last time I tried to check it appeared d1 was heavier from sec sheets

I think they already use a lighter bladder and weight is right in line with the clouds so unless material changes it is about as light as it will get using standard materials .
FLYWEIGHT CONSTRUCTION
From a .3mm bladder to reduced scuff guards to minimal stitching and paneling, the UFO’s Flyweight Construction is all about performance simplicity.
There are some lighter Dacrons now

I think the bridle could be thinner and the larger sizes 7m could use a speed increase imho

Biggest change would be a 4m. Biggest problem with the ufo.

And the bag, please no zippers.

Greenturtle
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4

Postby Greenturtle » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:34 pm

purdyd wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:22 pm
D1vsd2 maybe 5 to 10 grams per meter?

Last time I tried to check it appeared d1 was heavier from sec sheets

I think they already use a lighter bladder and weight is right in line with the clouds so unless material changes it is about as light as it will get using standard materials .
FLYWEIGHT CONSTRUCTION
From a .3mm bladder to reduced scuff guards to minimal stitching and paneling, the UFO’s Flyweight Construction is all about performance simplicity.
There are some lighter Dacrons now

I think the bridle could be thinner and the larger sizes 7m could use a speed increase imho

Biggest change would be a 4m. Biggest problem with the ufo.

And the bag, please no zippers.
Others already use .1mm bladder material, moving from .3 to .1 would provide substantial weight savings.

I have personally come up with 10-12 grams (EDIT, I’M WRONG see below) per kite meter difference between d1 and d2 - but in no way am I claiming that is totally accurate. And of course coatings variations would come into play. I think the difference is subtle at most in this situation with the kites being so small. At the 9m size maybe you start to feel it. This would be an excellent opportunity to nail down what the weight difference is exactly because I think it is the only change made...
Last edited by Greenturtle on Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greenturtle
Frequent Poster

Postby Greenturtle » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:03 pm

V1 7m 1656g
V1.1 7m 1701g

So, difference of 6.4g per kite meter between single and double ripstop canopy.
(A very minimal difference overall for kites of these small sizes).

For big kites, that does start to add up, but in the case of the ufo, very minimal. (This finding is less than I have found for other models of kite but d1 to d2 was not the only change on those)

7m V1 weight

All V1.1 weights

Says no other differences

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:45 am

And my d1 ufo 7m came in at 1633 grams

It would be hard to draw too much from just weighing two random kites, but I would agree there is not much difference

3m 993 grams
5m 1310 grams
7m 1633 grams
These users thanked the author purdyd for the post:
Greenturtle (Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:27 am)
Rating: 6.67%

Greenturtle
Frequent Poster

Postby Greenturtle » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:27 am

Right, im sure the weights vary kite-to-kite a bit, and scale to scale. The videos from Mr Howard, thankfully are on the same scale each time, so the differences between each should be fairly close to accurate. The ufo either way is a real light kite, not wanting to take anything away from that, well done slingshot!

Maybe the following is better in another topic but
Lets just say going from single to double ripstop canopy is roughly 6.4g per kite meter, is that step true for triple and quadruple ripstop as well?

Im all for making the canopy more durable, but it’s getting to the point with triple and quadruple on big kites where it had better have an aluula LE or something, otherwise I want the single ripstop back.

Honestly (most) kite companies should be a lot more forthcoming about weights, I would never-ever order other certain sporting goods without the weight info, and they don’t even fly!!

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:19 pm

Greenturtle wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:27 am
Right, im sure the weights vary kite-to-kite a bit, and scale to scale. The videos from Mr Howard, thankfully are on the same scale each time, so the differences between each should be fairly close to accurate. The ufo either way is a real light kite, not wanting to take anything away from that,

Maybe the following is better in another topic but
Lets just say going from single to double ripstop canopy is roughly 6.4g per kite meter, is that step true for triple and quadruple ripstop as well?

Im all for making the canopy more durable, but it’s getting to the point with triple and quadruple on big kites where it had better have an aluula LE or something, otherwise I want the single ripstop back.

Honestly (most) kite companies should be a lot more forthcoming about weights, I would never-ever order other certain sporting goods without the weight info, and they don’t even fly!!
There must be more to it than this as any info I can find lists technoforce d1 t9600 as slightly heavier than the counterpart d2

https://bonoborepair.de/en/Sailmaker-ne ... -blue.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32612980486.html

And I agree about weights, virtually everything has a published weight. I find it especially strange when companies say how light weight a kite is and don’t publish the weight. Like slingshot. They have the weight of their boards.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:04 pm

Prolly cause there is always gonna be some dork who chimes in that their Peak equivalent weighs half that.

Friggin Jerks!
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post (total 2):
jakemoore (Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:25 pm) • airsail (Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:45 pm)
Rating: 13.33%

Greenturtle
Frequent Poster

Postby Greenturtle » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:52 pm

purdyd wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:19 pm

There must be more to it than this as any info I can find lists technoforce d1 t9600 as slightly heavier than the counterpart d2
Interesting.
Clearly the d2 is heavier however. This example of the ufo going from d1 to d2 as the only change to the kite demonstrates that. Not major buts its there. As well as other kite models Ive weighed d1 to d2 (or d3), always weight went up.

Return to “Kitesurfing”