Forum for kitesurfers
Kitedicted
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Naish Pivot 9, 11m
Brand Affiliation: None

Big air kites vs all around kites

Postby Kitedicted » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:42 pm

So I'm looking to upgrade my quiver relatively soon and can't really decide between a 5 strut high aspect kite or a 3 strut all arounder. I'm an intermediate doing front rolls, darkslides and want to continue progressing with hooked in tricks.

Some of the pros ride 3 strut all arounders, and some of the highest woo jumps are on all around kites. Do high aspect kites actually jump higher or do they just glide for longer? I like the feel of 3 strutters (faster, driftier, more stable) but of course hang time is fun and gives a sense of safety.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide

Re: Big air kites vs all around kites

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:50 pm

High aspect kites give you more float/hang time, but not necessarily more height. For hooked in "airstyle" tricks, you'll find that duration in the air is more important than woo numbers. Depends on your style and goals.

Blackened
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
2020 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:41 pm

Kitedicted wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:42 pm
So I'm looking to upgrade my quiver relatively soon and can't really decide between a 5 strut high aspect kite or a 3 strut all arounder. I'm an intermediate doing front rolls, darkslides and want to continue progressing with hooked in tricks.

Some of the pros ride 3 strut all arounders, and some of the highest woo jumps are on all around kites. Do high aspect kites actually jump higher or do they just glide for longer? I like the feel of 3 strutters (faster, driftier, more stable) but of course hang time is fun and gives a sense of safety.
The 5-struts are for stabilising the canopy when riding super overpowered (to get those top 5 spots on the Woo Leaderboard are Core XRs I believe). That's the reason why you'll see a lot of the top jumps on this type. Can you go huge on a 3-strut? Of course.

Basically, it always comes down to what type of riding you're doing and what type of rider you are. Like yourself, I prefer the handling of the all-rounders, but I run 5 struts because I'm fat and usually ride overpowered. That means Rebel for old-school hangtime and Orbit for looping.

Kitedicted
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Naish Pivot 9, 11m

Postby Kitedicted » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:34 pm

I'm a bit light at 155-160. I like riding with power but to be honest thr wind is on the lighter side often where I live, then 5 struts feel a bit sluggish.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:27 am

Maybe think of it more in terms of sheet and go vs working the kite. If you like being able to generate that pull upwards just by sheeting in then you want to look at the big air kites as they tend to be more sheet and go.

For me its because the sheet and go kites are just easier to learn the tricks I want to learn that I've chosen them. If I'm doing a darkslide and I need a bit more lift I can just sheet in. If I'm riding my directional and I want to tack upwind, I can just sheet in. Same with jumping on a directional. I can get the same amount of lift from an all-round kite but it requires that extra bit of concentration in controlling the kite. Long term I'd probably get more skilful by using the all-round kite but the easy success is difficult to turn away from

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:39 am

I have never been a lightweight kiter so I don't know how that feels, but my guess is that for someone at 155-160 the "need" for more struts is a lot less than heavier kiters. I am sure there are people that can do the math, but I am assuming that the "strain" the kite is under when I'm pulling it hard with 220-230lbs is quite different than for you. I got 3 struts now on my "main" kites, but after testing 5 struts I am definitely going 5 when I replace my current kites.

leeuwen
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Small air :D
Gear: Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m, Core XR6 8M, XR5 10 /12 / 17M, Moses Onda, Crazy Fly Raptor LTD Neon, Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:41 am

Also don't forget that high aspect kites have some benefits in bigger usable wind range and handle gusts better (not yanking you around)
So its easier to keep riding with a bigger kite (& easier to get upwind on the bottom end).
This helps with jumping since you can be out on a bigger kite.
Also, you can potentially do bigger changes between kite sizes e.g. a 12-8 quiver instead of say 12-9-7
(Not that its great since you have a very small overlap but you could make it work)

Ianw
Rare Poster
Local Beach: UK - South Coast
Style: Freeride
Gear: Shinn Bronq, Core XR
Brand Affiliation: None - Spent a fortune on it.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Ianw » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:51 am

Havre wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:39 am
I got 3 struts now on my "main" kites, but after testing 5 struts I am definitely going 5 when I replace my current kites.
I switched to the XR6 5 strut kites this year from 3 strut "all rounders" from previous years. Like the contributors, my previous experience with old 5 line Rebels & as marketing would have us believe I was in a mind set that 5 strut kites were one dimensional jump & hang time machines only. I have been very surprised with the "all round" versatility of the XR6's
as a wave and freeride kite and being as good and if not better in many aspects eg wind range, stability etc than my 3 strut kites.

MattyM
Medium Poster
Gear: Core, F-One, Moses

Postby MattyM » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:12 pm

I’ve gone from 5 to 3 strut kites (XR to Nexus). Just find them way more fun. Also, if you’re thinking of ever foiling, 5 strut kites are hopeless - too heavy - too grunty.

juanpasala
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Soul 10 / Sonic 3 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic