Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Factory trim setting for Naish ATB bars?

Forum for kitesurfers
Zings
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 73
Local Beach: Kite Beach/Dolphin Beach Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach/Dolphin Beach Cape Town
Style: Big air, freestyle
Gear: 2020 Naish Pivot 9m
2016 Cabrinha FX 14m
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Factory trim setting for Naish ATB bars?

Postby Zings » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:12 am

Can anyone tell me what the default trim is for Naish bars/kites? That is, assuming the lines are tied off equally, how much distance between the bar and the stopper should there be when fully sheeted in? I see that the new North gear is shipped with about an inch of play, so was curious to see what the Naish default is.

I have a 2020 Pivot 9m with a 2018 ATB bar and am trying to figure out if my kite is flying oversheeted. It doesn't stall but at the same time, it feels like it's always on. Like I can't really dump power. Anyone else have the same thing?

Thanks,
Cheers

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's

Re: Factory trim setting for Naish ATB bars?

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:03 pm

There is no default trim as such on the Naish ATB, the bar is adjustable. You can lengthen or shorten the depower throw (distance the bar moves) and adjust the outside leader lines by pulling the bar end tabs out. The pivot is a grunty kite and will need a small bit of depower pulled in on the standard bar from new. I trimmed mine for the Dash and have a short throw of about 28cm, I think with the Pivot you want around 50cm of bar throw. Bar should be fully powered up when against the chicken loop.

To trim your Pivot correctly:
1. First adjust the centre line throw, you do this by pulling the rope through the underside of the cam cleat and pull the slack through the chicken loop. Play around a bit, you can shorten or lengthen it easily. Set to about 50cm.
2. Put the kite directly at 12 o'clock above you.
3. Pull the bar all the way in, if the kite just starts to backsall slightly then you need to pull in a few centimeters of depower.
4. Keep adjusting small amounts until the kite remains just about stable above you, mark that point with a black marker pen on the depower ropeat the cam cleat.
5. Drop the kite to ground and move the end knot in the rope (inside the depower handle) to the point you made with the marker pen. The bar will now be perfectly trimmed, the new knot position prevents it from pulling through the cam cleat.

After a few months correct the line shrinkage (kite lines shrink over time) using the outside line adjustment points. The Pivot is very prone to backstalling if the bar is not set up correctly.
These users thanked the author BillyGoatGruff for the post (total 3):
andrzej351 (Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:26 pm) • Saltyman (Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:13 am) • Zings (Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:32 am)
Rating: 25%

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:14 pm

THats a great writeup BillyGoatGruff.
I would perhaps add that if you want to set the bar correct, before you test it on the kite make sure your front and back lines are the same length. Attach front and backlines to a fixed point, power it up, and sheet in. Now you should feel pressure on the backlines and they should be straight as should the front lines. Any significan t slack means your front and back lines are not the same length. You can adjust the backlines pulling down the red and blue tabs under right or left side of the bar.
These users thanked the author tautologies for the post:
Saltyman (Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:13 am)
Rating: 8.33%

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:27 pm

Thanks Tautologies.
It should look as per photo below, bar in against chicken loop = full power. Adjust your backlines by the same amount, so they are all equal.

Saltyman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Qld
Favorite Beaches: Seabeach
Style: Freeride/wakestyle
Gear: Liquid force, takoon, slingsho,naish

Postby Saltyman » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:15 am

Well answered guys.
Very informative for all kiters new to the Naish torque atb bar.

Zings
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 73
Local Beach: Kite Beach/Dolphin Beach Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach/Dolphin Beach Cape Town
Style: Big air, freestyle
Gear: 2020 Naish Pivot 9m
2016 Cabrinha FX 14m
Been thanked: 0

Postby Zings » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:45 am

Okay cool, appreciate for your detailed replies. Have moved my knot up a bit as I had quite a gap, I guess due to some stretch. Thanks guys

Return to “Kitesurfing”