Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Looking for a true resistant directional board for strapped jumping

Forum for kitesurfers
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Looking for a true resistant directional board for strapped jumping

Postby Flyboy » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:09 am

I have a custom board that is now 12 years old & still going strong. It is small & relatively heavy for its size because it is strongly built (it is also nice for small to medium waves). I don't believe any production surf board is going to hold up that well over time - they're just not really designed for strapped jumping.

boubou
Rare Poster
Gear: .

Postby boubou » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:18 am

If I’m not foiling I’m jumping with the Celeritas 2016 5’11 its being use and abuse.
Always well strapped in.

Make sure to always land on the back portion or tail...

Just started to do low and slow front kite loops with it... if this does kill it...

My next one will be the same..

COTILLO
Rare Poster
Gear: FL

Postby COTILLO » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:12 pm

JuanLoteta wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:11 pm
COTILLO wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:10 am
Ninguna tabla de surf aguantará saltos altos repetidamente. El tipo de construcción no está diseñado para eso. Desde hace años sólo utilizo tablas direccionales de construcción tipo twintip/snow, sin volumen. No he conseguido partir ninguna.
https://www.instagram.com/trabukite/
No conocía esas tablas! Q tal aguantan en la ola? Que marcas las hacen? Gracias!
Juan,
These type of boards where made more than ten years ago by Shinn, Spleene and some Naish mutants. It is difficult to find them second hand but they are very cheap. No volume directionals and mutants are for high speed carving and jumping waves. You have to ride them powered, not slow surfing in the pocket with a small kite.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:28 pm

If I were blowing up directionals, I'd probably find a local shaper to help me build something custom that was more resilient. If you take them your latest broken board they can do some failure mode analysis and beef up the new one in the places where the old one failed.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:03 pm

Jumping direacitonals is the reason I still have two Spleene Zones, two Spleene Surf Doors and an Axis New Wave surfboard. Love the Zones and only recently picked up the NewWave, also a very nice board but I have a feeling the Zones are stronger. Though I'm currently preferring the NewWave becuase of the little more volume.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:12 pm

COTILLO wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:12 pm

Juan,
These type of boards where made more than ten years ago by Shinn, Spleene and some Naish mutants. It is difficult to find them second hand but they are very cheap. No volume directionals and mutants are for high speed carving and jumping waves. You have to ride them powered, not slow surfing in the pocket with a small kite.
Yes. I even wonder about the old small directionals that were made for a short period before TTs took off. I would also recommend 2 front straps for more comfortable riding & jumping. My small custom is fairly flat rockered & very fast - it doesn't require a bigger kite than a bigger, more rockered board & turns very nice. Not ideal in large steep waves, but great in onshore conditions. It's always been a mystery to me why more boards like this are not made, as they suit the conditions many kiters actually encounter IRL, rather than the perfect side shore conditions you see in advertising videos.

As Mossy says, finding a local shaper to make something for you might be a way to avoid continuing to break & be disappointed by production boards.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:48 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:12 pm
COTILLO wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:12 pm

Juan,
........ It's always been a mystery to me why more boards like this are not made, as they suit the conditions many kiters actually encounter IRL, rather than the perfect side shore conditions you see in advertising videos.

As Mossy says, finding a local shaper to make something for you might be a way to avoid continuing to break & be disappointed by production boards.

Strapless is the driver of fashion in kitesurfing. Volume is of no use, yet it is still there in almost all boards. Dedicated strapped boards often times still have a narrow point nose.

Fashon is the innovation killer.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:41 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:48 pm
Strapless is the driver of fashion in kitesurfing. Volume is of no use, yet it is still there in almost all boards. Dedicated strapped boards often times still have a narrow point nose.
Fashon is the innovation killer.
Yep !
This is a picture of what i've used extensively since i bought in the fall of 2009
This is not a picture of my board
The back strap is correct but on mine the front is 2 settings more back

North Kontact 2010 model
Jumped high for 11 years and no sign yet of any problems
Strong thin board
Low volume
I estimate 18 liters
5 foot 9 inches by 16 7/8 inches wide by 1 3/4 thick

CARMELHILL
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 165 pounds
Local Beach: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Ponce Inlet
Apollo Beach
Style: Mostly twintip, starting foiling
Gear: Ozone Hyperlink V1 - 7m and 12m (2018)
Cabrinha Switchblade 14 (2017)
Pansh A15 - 15m
Switch x4 bar (2018)
Best Float 33 (2006), Cabrinha Prodigy 158 for light wind (2005)
Slingshot Alienair 2019 with Naish WS1 (2018)

Postby CARMELHILL » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:23 am

I had a 2007 F-1 Legend for a while. Didn't use it much because our waves are mostly small slop around here and a twintip is better suited for it. I sold it in almost band new condition. It was a solid solid board. It was a mutant board, with 3 fins on the primary tail, and 2 fins acting like a twin tip on the opposite tail.

https://www.thekiteboarder.com/2007/10/ ... 63-legend/
Attachments
legend.jpg
legend-163-fone.jpg

JuanLoteta
Rare Poster
Weight: 75
Local Beach: La Loteta, Zaragoza
Favorite Beaches: La Loteta and all Caera coast in Brazil
Style: Freeride+Wave
Gear: ..
Been thanked: 0

Postby JuanLoteta » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:48 pm

Thanks a lot for your comments! I have finally bought a slingshot celero 2019 after slinshot confirmed me that the change was done in 2020 boards. I will keep you posted with the result

Return to “Kitesurfing”