Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

The 3rd Generation Shift Bar from Ocean Rodeo

Postby Toby » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:24 pm

Ocean Rodeo News:

The 3rd Generation Shift Bar

or 1.png

Introducing the 3rd generation of our iconic control bar

Setting the future for both safety and performance standards in kite control, Ocean Rodeo’s iconic Shift bar returns for its fourth successful year in production, with some significant refinements and a backline trim that provides reliable and seamless power adjustment, all within easy reach, and without having to take your eyes off the water.

https://oceanrodeo.com/bars/shift/

PUNCH OUT TRIM LOOP

The third generation Shift bar outfits with the new Gen 9 Punch Out Trim Loop. ISO 21853 compliant, the new trim loop is loaded with exciting new features to enhance your ride while delivering reliable release and depower flag out.

or 2.png

QUICK CHANGE TRIM LOOP

Swapping in large, small or rope slider trim has never been quicker than with the new Quick-Change Trim Loop. A standard fin hex key is all that’s required.

or 3.png

BELOW BAR TRIM

The Shift's backline trim, which is fast becoming the future standard of kite control, just got even better! Crank stops have been added the tips of both bar floats, to prevent overwinding and further refined gearing in the pawl winder assembly ensures precision trim control every time.

or 4.jpeg

FREERIDE LEASH

Also ISO 21853 compliant, this new leash is composed of a HD Spectra line sheathed inside a rugged 8mm urethane tube and features a refined stainless steel carabiner that is lighter, smaller and stronger than previous designs.

The carabiner is housed inside the EVA float and pre-tensioned carabiner garage, reducing the chance of line snagging.

or 5.png
or 6.png

https://oceanrodeo.com/bars/shift/

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Re: The 3rd Generation Shift Bar from Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:44 am

Love this bar already - slider rope chicken loop is a nice add-on. If you are in the surf it's pretty helpful as you can bleed power off as you come in on a tack to go through waves, then power back up to get out the back.

zlatko23
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 70
Favorite Beaches: Keros(Limnos)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter 5m², Ozone Enduro V3 7/11m²&V4 9m², CrazyFly Raptor LTD, Appletree Malus Domestica 5'1"
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby zlatko23 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:55 pm

Just got the Shift 3.0 today, still to try on the water. Here are my observations on the changes compared to 2.0:

- the biggest improvement is the QR(Gen9): the cap now stays in position no matter the angle at which ones activates the QR. You just have to click in the loop to reset. The amount of force required is less than 2.0 QR(GEN8?), feels easier and smoother. Still not on the level of modern day QRs where the cap returns immediately in locked position and you can hold it when clicking back in the loop. The loop itself is also smaller, so will bring the bar closer to the rider.
- the bar itself is thinner, with softer, less agresive grip - both changes are not to my liking, but have yet to see how it will feel while riding. They kept the same size of the bar end(s) where the winding mechanism is, so that it is same size and the same spare part can be used in case one needs it.
- the below the bar swivel seems smoother, but yet to try it in water when unspinning. The 2.0 was really stiff and the shape was also not comfortable, digging in my palm.
- the guards at the end of the floaters are nice additions, so one does not over tighten the mechanism.
- I don't like the color scheme and in general - every manufacturer should keep red, orange, yellow on the left hand side!
- the safety leash attachment point is changed and I don't see what all these bit and pieces they added there are for? The short leash that comes with it is also changed, cant say it is better as I don't like neither this nor the old one. Still using my Cabrinha 2017 leash.
- everything else seems the same to me.
All in all I think the improved QR makes 3.0 better, but otherwise if one can find 2.0 at good price - go for it, you will not be losing anything major.

One complaint I want to add - as I am using rope slider spreader bar I wanted to remove the chicken finger from the loop. I found that instead of push out pins as on 2.0 OR uses now hex key screws to attach the loop to the QR - great! BUT - you need a "fin key"(between 2.0-2.5 mm) to unscrew it, while all the other screws on the bar use eitrher 2.0mm or 2.5 mm hex key! Why you need to mix imperial and metric sizes on the same product?! Hope OR will address this in the future!
Anyway Shift 3.0 is still the best backline trim adjusting bar on the market for me! :)

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:14 pm

zlatko23 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:55 pm
Why you need to mix imperial and metric sizes on the same product?! Hope OR will address this in the future!
Maybe it's due to the Canadian Metrication. :lol:

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:24 pm

Justin Trudeau would probably fine them for hate speech if they didn't :lol:

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:12 pm

Anyone knows a shop in Europe (shipping to NL) that has the surf loop for the bar in stock?

zlatko23
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 70
Favorite Beaches: Keros(Limnos)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter 5m², Ozone Enduro V3 7/11m²&V4 9m², CrazyFly Raptor LTD, Appletree Malus Domestica 5'1"

Postby zlatko23 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:34 pm

@leeuwen - the new surf loops(for 3rd gen Shift) are not available yet, OR expects these to be in stock next year :)
I am using a surf loop for my Shift 2.0, but I can't currently test if it fits the 3.0 as well - the connection points of QR seem slightly different between 2.0 and 3.0 CL. When I try it I will write back. FYI - Liquid Force used the same QR(and bar!) as OR 2.0, so the LF rope slider loop fits as well.
These users thanked the author zlatko23 for the post:
leeuwen (Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:50 am)
Rating: 3.03%

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:44 pm

zlatko23 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:34 pm
@leeuwen - the new surf loops(for 3rd gen Shift) are not available yet, OR expects these to be in stock next year :)
…..
When I try it I will write back. FYI - Liquid Force used the same QR(and bar!) as OR 2.0, so the LF rope slider loop fits as well.

Thanks!
That would explain why the shop is still waiting on them while they where ordered 14 months ago….
Apparently it’s the same for everyone.
I searched for the LF, Harlem (also same bar) and/or any OR version and could not find a surf loop for any of those in any Dutch shop :(

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Slingshot ghost 4M
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:43 pm

Had my first session with the shift 3.0
For context: also am experienced with the clickbar (not happy with it, replaced with the shift bar) and core bars

Good things:
* finally a bar that has a longer throw then my long arms can reach! (I am 190cm and with a seat harness that’s quite a range ).
It’s pretty much a safety by itself if you would put the stopper al the way at the end (that’s still like an additional 20-30cm out of my reach)
* did not really need to use the back line trim much due to above but seems to work fine
* general feel of the bar is nice and the plastic line/tube feels very smooth (my clickbar was awful in regards to friction, this feels more like the plastic of the core bar I have)
* click in release is really awesome
* lines feel a lot smoother then the clickbar (2021) very noticeable with one or two loops not sure if that is just newness but my clickbar is pretty high friction even with one loop.
* ability to use the back line trim with slack lines (not possible with clickbar and is very inconvenient when you have a very backstalled tuned kite in minimal winds that you need to relaunch)

The bad:
* hate the colors of the bar. Please make left red. IMHO white is never a good color for anything used around sand or grass
* don’t like the line color scheme left lines orange and the right ones black. Would have preferred 4 different colors for easy untangling.
* no auto untwist and the manual untwist is not great. Don’t mind too much since I usually just loop the kite the other way to untwist but this would be my biggest complaint
* could not find a surf loop yet see posts above
* Not sure why the OR did not leave a little more stitching open on the pigtails with the knot so you can also use them as a loop. Would not have been any added costs but it’s super convenient if you have multiple brand kites. (Clickbar has this, so I bought some Duotone pigtails)
These users thanked the author leeuwen for the post:
zlatko23 (Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:54 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:21 pm

* no auto untwist and the manual untwist is not great. Don’t mind too much since I usually just loop the kite the other way to untwist but this would be my biggest complaint

I guess for me this is a deal-breaker

Return to “Kitesurfing”