Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The best way to self land 4 line kite with low V

Forum for kitesurfers
Bill
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

The best way to self land 4 line kite with low V

Postby Bill » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:58 am

Sure this must have been done before, but this is the best way I have worked out to self land in a controlled manner reasonable safely.

Firstly as always, make sure there is plenty of space with no obstructions or people around, then:

1. Bring your kite down resting on the beach as if you were going to tether land

2. grab your centre line ie depower line and pull it in (letting go of the bar) until you have reached the V and then walk slightly upwind

3. Its VERY VERY important at this stage to make sure your all your lines stay kite side of the bar and don't get caught on anything - especially for the next stage

4. grab the top line of the two centre lines and keeping it low walk upwind. Keeping it low will help the leading edge of the kite down onto the beach

5. Once the kite is down, pull again on the line to pull the front of the kite into the wind walking a bit down wind. If it looks settled, run to the kite to pull it properly into the wind.

As long as your lines don't get caught up, if it all goes wrong , the kite will roll back, power up and you will just have to control it with the bar.

Hope that's helpful - Works really well for me
These users thanked the author Bill for the post:
mr-markus (Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:04 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: THE best way to self land 4 line kite with low V

Postby Frankieboy » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:35 am

Bill wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:58 am

As long as your lines don't get caught up, if it all goes wrong , the kite will roll back, power up and you will just have to control it with the bar.
If you want to play it safe, unhook and let go the bar, just keep you leash on the safety line.
If it all goes wrong the kite will flag and not power up in the middle of the wind window...

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: THE best way to self land 4 line kite with low V

Postby Toby » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:57 am

Please make a video, that would be great!

mr-markus
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Netherlands Maasvlakte,Rockanje
Gear: Ozone R1V3 19m,
Gin Spirit 15, Gin Spirit 12,Gin Instinct HB 10, Gin Spirit 10, Ten Velox 8m, Ten Velox 10m, Vantage Vulture 7, Moses Fluente, Crazy Fly Chill, Lieuwe Shotgun ,Flysurfer Radical 7 and lots and lots other things.
Brand Affiliation: myself

Re: The best way to self land 4 line kite with low V

Postby mr-markus » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:11 pm

from step 2 on, try to grab the LOWER centerline only and pull it in until the kite turns in U shape. walk towards the kite while holding/haulin the line until you reach the bridle. With this method you can selfland in all possible conditions because the kite is powerless and never will fly up. Try for yourself and you will be surprised how easy it is

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:04 pm

Depending on the beach, kite and wind, it maybe better to walk up the lines all the way to the kite.

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:38 pm

mr-markus wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:11 pm
from step 2 on, try to grab the LOWER centerline only and pull it in until the kite turns in U shape. walk towards the kite while holding/haulin the line until you reach the bridle. With this method you can selfland in all possible conditions because the kite is powerless and never will fly up. Try for yourself and you will be surprised how easy it is
This can also work with Strutless kites:

If I remember correctly, this video was shot with a 12m kite in a 20 knot wind, just to demonstrate it’s not just a light wind option.
These users thanked the author faklord for the post (total 2):
mr-markus (Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:04 pm) • purdyd (Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:22 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

mr-markus
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Netherlands Maasvlakte,Rockanje
Gear: Ozone R1V3 19m,
Gin Spirit 15, Gin Spirit 12,Gin Instinct HB 10, Gin Spirit 10, Ten Velox 8m, Ten Velox 10m, Vantage Vulture 7, Moses Fluente, Crazy Fly Chill, Lieuwe Shotgun ,Flysurfer Radical 7 and lots and lots other things.
Brand Affiliation: myself

Postby mr-markus » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:07 pm

@faklord, nice video! exactly what i ment. Used it in 40knots, works like a charm.

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:05 pm

mr-markus wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:07 pm
@faklord, nice video! exactly what i ment. Used it in 40knots, works like a charm.
Just to be clear, I didn’t make this video!
It was just something I stumbled on when looking for ways to self land a strutless

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:26 pm

faklord wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:05 pm
mr-markus wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:07 pm
Just to be clear, I didn’t make this video!
It was just something I stumbled on when looking for ways to self land a strutless
Thanks for pointing out the strutless aspect. This is a good video because it shows a hard smooth beach and you can see the kite starts to slide.

These surfaces present problems with using a front line to land and if you get the kite leading edge down it can still slide.

Some kites don’t rest very flat either,

I have also seen on sloped beaches with side on wind that the kites can be really hard to keep down

so in both cases I prefer to walk all the way up to the kite.

I’ll have to consider the drop the kite on its back. Might give that a try to see how my kites behave.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:36 pm

I use lower line technique it's better when the wind is above 35 knots because with both center line there's too much pressure. I made a few videos about how to use the single lower line technique

Return to “Kitesurfing”