Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The best way to self land 4 line kite with low V

Forum for kitesurfers
purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Re: The best way to self land 4 line kite with low V

Postby purdyd » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:49 pm

So if someone offers to "catch your kite" try this and say please let me practice stabilizing it on the beach first then you can grab it
That way you gain some experience in case no one is there and you want to try walking the lines
Plus the assistant might like to see your technique and pass it on to an other kiter
I’ve done that and I see more riders on our beach use that method.

I know from experience that any one lined side landing technique upside down or leading edge down is very risky on our beach when it is windy.

The beach has a slight slope right off the water and with the normal side on wind

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Herman » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:58 pm

Justa a small addition to pullstrings loverly description. If you are the catcher and the rider has properly stabilised the kite on its tip so that it is pinned to the beach, initially, the catcher will not be able to pick the kite up without a wrestle or scraping the LÊ on the sand. The catcher should just hold the kite in position and wait for the rider to release the kite by walking a little down wind and towards the catcher.

These skills are the gateway to a buddybuddy system for two skilled riders imho. You can practice parking and pinning the kite on a tip if you want to take a break during a session.
Last edited by Herman on Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:58 pm

Thanks purdyd
Yes herman
As soon as catcher grabs tight the resting upright LE immediately move towards him/her to totally slack the front lines and facilitate the handling of the kite
Very helpful to make it easier for less experienced catchers

Catchers that are experienced will at the same time walk towards the rider holding the kite in the U shape until they meet half way
And congratulate him saying wow !! what a great session you looked good out there in those waves !!

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:43 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:58 pm
Thanks purdyd
Yes herman
As soon as catcher grabs tight the resting upright LE immediately move towards him/her to totally slack the front lines and facilitate the handling of the kite
Very helpful to make it easier for less experienced catchers

Catchers that are experienced will at the same time walk towards the rider holding the kite in the U shape until they meet half way
And congratulate him saying wow !! what a great session you looked good out there in those waves !!
Stepping toward the catcher is the right thing to do in all cases. Not just with a kite resting and pinned.

The kite should be brought to the catcher so they don’t have to run around like a chicken.

Also, stepping back when launching. The launcher should come from downwind, clear the lines and walk back and tension them as they walk up wind.

Ideally the launcher should be able to let go and the kite will just sit there.

I know there are exceptions to this depending on the site.

I also think the catcher should only use one hand in the middle of the kite when launching. Exception being really big kites in which case as close to middle as practical.

I have had the Catcher uses two hands on the tip when launching and you can’t get all four lines tensioned because they are bending the kite.

I have also had on numerous occasions where I am the catcher and the launcher gets upwind and tension in one of the front lines but hasn’t walked backwards so it begins to push you back and or upwind.

A good launch to me is when the catcher lets go and the kite just sits there.

I don’t like when people launch with a board in one hand, the launch signal is not clear. I am also not a big fan of launchers quickly sending the kite to 12 o’clock followed usually by a jump on the beach. A kite moving quickly on launch is usually a sign of something gone wrong,

Although I realize in some cases because the launch is sheltered get the kite up or down quickly is a necessity.

Lately I have seen some newer kiters with great on the water skills and sloppy launching and landing technique.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Herman » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:27 pm

If you are launching and you see somebody walking upwind and not taking the load and are about to start pushing you, walk upwind yourself and keep following them, it is usually completely confusing to the little darlings. Eventually I just ask them to stand still and I put the kite in the right place.
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
purdyd (Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:06 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:41 pm

purdyd wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:43 pm

A good launch to me is when the catcher lets go and the kite just sits there.
Definitely !
On wide open beaches with clean high winds many will toss your kite upward by habit
Well when this happens i bring it right back down and make the kite sit for a moment or two

A good landing is when the kite sits there and the catcher walks over slowly....no need to run... and hold on the LE
A great fun landing is walking up the lines to the kite in high winds before someone has the time to walk over and catch
Just love to feel the pull of those strings !!
These users thanked the author PullStrings for the post:
purdyd (Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:17 pm)

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:56 pm

I made a new video on how to land the kite using the lower center line, I'll post in a new topic.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
or6 (Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:01 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”