Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Drying Kites in Rainy Conditions

Forum for kitesurfers
matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Drying Kites in Rainy Conditions

Postby matth » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:13 am

Unroll, dry with towel, drape up and down over whatever you have and put a fan blowing on it. Move kite and fan around every half hour and it will be dry in no time......A fan is highly effective.

You can make a folding drying rack out of pvc pipes if you are creative........sort of like an old school collapsible cloths rack

Milko0k
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Port Skunkley
Favorite Beaches: SWO
Style: Wet
Gear: Slingshot

Postby Milko0k » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:19 am

Two collapsible coat racks and decent fan.
Image + Image

Kristan
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Flysurfer Soul 12m, Blade Fat Lady 17m. Boards: Crazyfly Raptor 140x42, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:57 am

Never tried it myself, but I heard some people use this method: Inflate the kite, seal the struts, deflate the leading edge bladder, leaving struts inflated, roll it loosely and put it in the corner somewhere to dry. Doesn't require that much space.
These users thanked the author Kristan for the post:
or6 (Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:39 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Windigo1
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:40 pm

I put it on the concrete floor in my basement unrolled overnight in the morning it's dry my basement is very dry.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil Kai/Iwa
GK Trix
FS Peak4
HB Legion
Ypsilon
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

Postby bragnouff » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:06 am

Blackened wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:01 pm
If it's really wet, I leave the struts inflated when I roll the kite, then upright it in the bathtub/shower. It won't get completely dry, but it'll drain the excess water from the kite and prevent it from pouring all over the inside of the bag/your floor.
This!
Main concern when packing in the rain, is that there's a lot of sand sticking on the kite. So roughly rolling it around inflated struts helps contain the mess. Once most of the water has been drained in the bathtub overnight, it can be repacked outside / left to dry. Sand can be shaken off, which is less abrasive than brushing it off.

Not many of the modern kites have bags that extend to let you keep the struts inflated, so it's good to hang to one of such bags if you have one. That's where they come handy, till your next session.
Mildew isn't really an issue for salt water I think, and drying your kites is only a problem if your next session is weeks away.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North, Airush, and Slingshot boards and foils.

Postby Eduardo » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:18 am

garethj97 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:26 pm
Hi,

I am new to kitesurfing and have been told many times of the importance drying kites before storage to prevent mould and mildew.

I am based in Ireland and it rains a lot here so it is often difficult to dry them on the beach after a session.

I live in an apartment block with a small balcony so inflating on that is not an option. I do not have an outdoor clothes line either.

Any tips on how to dry and pack away kites in windy, wet conditions without damaging them would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I never once dried a kite and no mold. You're fine just leaving them in the bag on your balcony.

For the guys bringing them in the living room, you must be living by yourself - a nonkiting spouse would throw you and the kites out on the street. :D Even if you are single, the problem about bringing kites indoors is that there could be some bugs on them. Sand fleas are awful.

Zen_Rider
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Tenby, Fresh West & Newgale
Style: Versatile
Gear: DT Dice 7 / 9 / 11
CF Raptor Extreme
DT Whip 5"2

Postby Zen_Rider » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:34 am

Nowadays I hang them by bridal from hooks in the garage for a few days. But back when I lived in a tiny shared flat in London (and couldn't use the communal spaces for drying) I would loosely unroll the kite under my (double) bed and leave it for a few days. Did drop a bit of sand under there, but simple to hoover up from a hard floor. Doesn't work if you have one of those pedestal type beds though...

I've never experienced moldy kites, and wouldn't worry about a wet kite if I was planning to use it again in the next week. But for longer-term storage, I think drying is sensible, I have heard stories about long term saltwater exposure degrading the stitching, and making printed graphics making stains on other parts of the kite... I also give my kites a full freshwater rinse and dry about once a year, especially to get sand out of the tight seams where canopy meets leading-edge and struts. I have some 9-year-old kites that are still in great condition (except for the valves disintegrating).

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:56 am

A really good question, especially if space is limited. I have found when i pack up after rain the kite also has lots of sand attached. I am careful when packing up and once home spread it out as best i can and keep moving the kite so as to allow different parts of the kite to dry. Sometimes it take a day or so. Then a good shake to get all the sand off, sweep the floor, then pack up so no sand is there.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: New Brighton- nr Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide lagoon
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough
lake Como (Italy)
Style: improving kite foiler since 2017
Gear: Groove Skates 110 and 120 custom graphics and volume 2021 editions
101cm + 91cm Moses Carbon masts
Moses- 633/483 on a 701 fuse
Moses- 718 /421 on the smaller lighter kite fuse
Ozone Hyperlink V1 ultra light 5mtr
Ozone V2 Hyperlink 7mtr + 9mtr
Ozone Chrono V4 foil kite 11mtr, red
duotone click bar 2020, custom lines
duotone 2021 click bar (waiting for delivery)
ION B3 seat harness, now waiting 7 months for delivery:o
massive grin

Postby Foil » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:12 pm

Same problem when you have a motorhome and staying over it in, just leave the center strut blown up, roll up not to tightly, jiggy the sand loose so it mostly falls out on the beach/car park, and then stand upright in the shower, get a nice warm shower and wash off the kite whilst in there, by morning your good to go again😀👍
Getting grief off the other half?
Can't help there, 😕 :rollgrin:

Return to “Kitesurfing”