Forum for kitesurfers
ichabod
Medium Poster
Gear: kite, strings, short wooden plank
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Neo 2018 5m back stalling badly

Postby ichabod » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:58 am

Thanks for the replies, I'll have a look at the bridles and take them out for a bit more testing when we get some good wind again. Dan I'll get some photos and measurements for you. It does seem super unlikely that two kites would have a similar fault like this though they may well be from the same production run as they were bought together.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:30 am

You don't need to be fully powered to do the long rear pig test I suggested. I would expect flying in 18 knts will probably give you a near enough result to be able to work from for fully powered riding, indeed I would expect it to put it on the safer side of backstall. Probably even wise as their is a suspicion of a genuine problem, cautious approach being sensible if you have not known the kites to fly correctly at some point in their life. Good luck!

rossyboy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: devon
Favorite Beaches: devon
Style: foil
Gear: foil
Been thanked: 0

Postby rossyboy » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:52 pm

I had this exact problem, it seemed to fly better backwards than forwards! Once powered it was great but trying to use it on a foil in lighter wind I struggled as when coming on to the board or working it to get going I would invariably oversheet at some point and it would be game over. I had an old Blade 5m that I had replaced with the Neo but went back to the blade and sold the neo it in the end. It may have been great on SB or TT, or in better hands, however I found it a nightmare compared to my other 5m.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:26 pm

^^I have had a similar experience with 7.5m Kahoonas! Found them too backstally for comfortable underpowered use but really nice for looping about powered in waves.
Last edited by Herman on Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:35 am

Very true, some models, especially a bit older kites - have this tendency (different brands, Naish one that have had several).

Meaning, in their high wind say for TT or Waveboards, less or no noticeable issues :thumb:

But for foiling they suddenly becomes a huge problem - was out with a guy yesterday who took his a couple of years older 7 m2 kite out on foil (his Daughter had borrowed his newer 7 m2) - and it was utterly useless, because no matter how it was sheeted, it could not find a balanced point where it did not backstall, nor had too loose rearlines so no power nor able to steer.

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”