Local Beach: Colico
Style: Freeride, vawe
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

what is in your opinion the best light wind kite for TT

Postby 1franz » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:13 pm

Hello,
I am going to buy a new lightwind kite for real light wind kitingurfing with a twin tip board.
Actually I have a 15m airush 2015, the allows me to kite with a light wind TT board with about 7 knots.
I am a light rider (about 65 kg) so I can ride with real light wind. My airush have the limit of a small wind range and I am totally overpowered with 12/13 knots.
I am looking for a new kite that allows me to kite like now with around 7 knowts but possibly with a better wind range so more depower.
I also look for a solid kite durable and resistant that do not look to match with last years light wind kite where the focus was reducing the weight. I have seen too light materials in bladders and very light construcions that I guess will not last with the time. My 2015 airush is still in very good conditions and I want to find another kite to use for years.
What is in your opinion and experience the best option in my case? I was thinking to duotone juice 15 but I have doubt on resistance because they saved a lot materials to make it lighter.
I guess if I go to 17m like new zephyr it would be slower than 15 and probably I would be easily overpowered again.
Thanks for any advice

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Re: what is in your opinion the best light wind kite for TT

Postby RalfsB » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:51 pm

I prefer lightwind kites that are light; from inflatable kites I really like Naish Boxer (one strut). When it is really light then I use a foil kite (HQ4 Matrixx 18m) with line extensions, it allows to start early and is very manageable in overpowered conditions as well; there are many good foil kites, look for those that are genera/freeride oriented (not race-oriented). I have tried strutless kites but their range was too narrow for my liking. Hope it helps.

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:05 pm

Tested a lot and eventually bought a Duotone Juice 15m last year, Great low end but incredible high end! 17m sounds way to big your you cause of your weight. I can even loop the kite without too much effort. Starts sailing nicely at 14 kts (75kg, TT 136x41.5)
Last edited by Leon van Bergen on Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:18 pm

17M kites are really meant for heavy riders to ride in 10 knots not for small riders to ride in almost no wind since they are heavy and will fall from the sky if you try to go too low. Stay away from heavy 5 struts kites. You want something ligth. If you are already able to kite in 7 knots on a TT that's very good I doubt you can do much better with another kite.

The Ocean rodeo Flite are nice and ligth and quick turning. Of course the Aluula Flite is crazy ligth but even the regular one is still lighter than most light wind kites. A 14.5 would work for your weight a 17m might give you 1 knots or 2 of extra low end but you will get overpowered more quickly ad it will be less enjoyable to ride so you have to decide if that's worth the sacrifice. You could also look into foil kites like the Soul they are great but it's another game you need more room to launch if the wind dies it's a mess if you have a perfect spot with lots of room and steady wind then look at those seriously.
Last edited by Windigo1 on Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SWO_kite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Belle River, Ontario, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Yes
Style: Foil/Freeride/Big air
Gear: 11m Reedin SM V2, 8m & 6m SS Raptor
128 Shinn Sunburner + 75 AL-mast + K wing
140 Best Spark, 133 Cabrinha Caliber

Postby SWO_kite » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:37 pm

For what it's worth, in my early days of kiting I too wanted a giant kite for riding in lower winds. I've had a couple big kites to get going in less than 15kn.

In the last 2 years I've been adapting to using a (budget)hydrofoil in 15kn or less. I now use a 2017 12m Liquid force NV for 10-13kn days - not even a "light wind" kite. Comparing my experience with TTs in the same amount of wind - I have WAY more fun and success on the hydrofoil. TTs in light wind are frustrating and boring comparatively.

If OP is open to alternatives, my recommendation is to spend the 15m kite money on a budget hydrofoil. Having experienced both, I feel you'll get far more satisfaction riding a foil in light wind.

Baptiste_FR
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Normandy
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Rally (12-9-7m²)

Postby Baptiste_FR » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:45 pm

SWO_kite wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:37 pm
If OP is open to alternatives, my recommendation is to spend the 15m kite money on a budget hydrofoil. Having experienced both, I feel you'll get far more satisfaction riding a foil in light wind.
It is for sure the most efficient way to ride in low wind.
But if he want something easy to ride and almost as efficient as a foil in light wind day (above 8 knots), I suggest a Tiki/Alaia board. Very fun to ride and no need to learn anything.

In this video, a guy ride a Tiki in less than 10 knots and he's the only one to ride. But his kite is a 12m² Gin Shaman, so a very efficient kite.

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:47 am

Agree with above - 17m are for old fat guys like me. You should be looking at 14-15m.
I wouldn't be too afraid of the new lighter light wind kites unless you plan to really stress it out riding a lot at the upper end of its wind range. Manufacturers have just tuned designs over the years to the wind range. My old 17m Flite uses same materials as my 10m Flite. As they have worried more about relaunching and riding in super light foiling winds, they have matched the design to the lighter winds.

Besides wind range, I would look for kites that have very good relaunchability. I'm not giving you any specifics - my kites are all older. I did ride a 12m Alulla in crazy light winds and loved it. No one besides OR really knows how durable they will be though.

Pana
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 200 lbs
Local Beach: Lake Champlain, Baie des Brises
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paracuru, Santa Veronica
Style: Smooth, old school, wave carver
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam HL 6-7-8 & 9m. Aluula 10-12 & 14m
Nomad wave TT
Shared gear with adorable wife

Postby Pana » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:18 pm

My first question is how often will you use this light wind kite, this affects the priority & budget.

For sure you should consider an allula 14.5m flite, in light winds I would say nothing beats them for the moment fun/performance wise. At least for inflatables. If possible try to demo one, you will probably be convinced to buy one if you yan afford it / if it is your main kite.

Cheers !

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:13 pm

Pana wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:18 pm
My first question is how often will you use this light wind kite, this affects the priority & budget.

For sure you should consider an allula 14.5m flite, in light winds I would say nothing beats them for the moment fun/performance wise. At least for inflatables. If possible try to demo one, you will probably be convinced to buy one if you yan afford it / if it is your main kite.

Cheers !
My Flite 14.5 Aluula is amazing, never drops out of the sky. It is expensive but (imo) at the moment it's the best lightwind kite on the market.

In the future I hope to see single strut Aluula kites because I think that for my weight a 14m single strut Aluula kite really will be the lightwind tool of choice.
Last edited by iriejohn on Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -

Postby StellaBlu » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:32 pm

I second the recommendation for the North Juice. It makes a lightwind TT session passably fun. I have also ridden the large SS Turbine sizes and I would not recommend these as they are very slow and I find that they naturally sit low in the window, which powers them well, but it is always a fight to keep them upwind when wind is light.

I also second the recommendation for the foil which is a lot more fun than squeezing wind out of any big slow kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”