Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Shinn Ronson Player

Forum for kitesurfers
Lukas M
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: Currently buying equipment (Naish)
Brand Affiliation: None

Shinn Ronson Player

Postby Lukas M » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:44 pm

Hey guys,
Does anyone of you ride the Shinn Ronson Player (or Magnet)? How do you like it and would you say it is good in chop but also good for boosting? And do you know how the Ronson Magnet has been changed compared to the Ronson Player?
I am seriously considering buying a Ronson.
Would love to hear your opinions on it!

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.76m
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9076° W (UK South Coast)
Gear: Lieuwe Shotguns
Ozone Enduro V2s
Flite 14.5 Aluula
Duotone Fish

Re: Shinn Ronson Player

Postby iriejohn » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:53 am

Lukas M
Rare Poster

Postby Lukas M » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:58 am

Thanks but I am particularly asking about the differences between the ronson player and the ronson magnet. None of the people who wrote in the posts seemed to still be riding ronsons so I opened a new thread particularly about the Ronson (and not the Bronq like the previous ones)

bambooli
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby bambooli » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:00 pm

Hi,
I have the magnet.
Not much twintip experience in the last 12 years.
Before that i owned nobile 555,su2 and a very early shinn.
Since then ive been on surfboards picking up the odd second hand board to try and have the odd jumping session.
Had a shinn monk, and then a bronq but haven't used much as didnt really find them much fun.great boards it seemed but just didn't do it for me
Then i saw iksurfmag and kiteworld feview of the ronson player and frying to read between tbe lines i kinda figured that they were r super impressed so i got the magnet and i really love it, im almost as happy to go out on it as on a surfboard.
As comfortable as the monk but so much more lively, and less power hungry than the bronq. Makes you want to ride hard for sure.
Ive had tiny goes on Jamie's and crazy fly raptor Ltd recently and i prefer the ronson although it does have lots more rocker so a little less aggressive, more suited to rougher water
These users thanked the author bambooli for the post:
Lukas M (Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:24 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: chrono v2 15m, Hyperlink 9m, Catalyst 7m, enduro 10m and 14m, access 6m
Flysurfer Soul 15m.
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Shinn Ronson 138x42, King Gee 150x50, Ketos Foil freeride2 and Transformer TT

Postby BOEMIX » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:21 pm

I still ride the first model! I'm not sure wich model is, the teal top and red bottom one.

I really like it, because is a board that's very forgiving on hot landings, so it's ideal for eternal kiteloop learners like me! 😆
These users thanked the author BOEMIX for the post:
Lukas M (Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:24 pm)

Lukas M
Rare Poster

Postby Lukas M » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:24 pm

bambooli wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:00 pm
Hi,
I have the magnet.
Not much twintip experience in the last 12 years.
Before that i owned nobile 555,su2 and a very early shinn.
Since then ive been on surfboards picking up the odd second hand board to try and have the odd jumping session.
Had a shinn monk, and then a bronq but haven't used much as didnt really find them much fun.great boards it seemed but just didn't do it for me
Then i saw iksurfmag and kiteworld feview of the ronson player and frying to read between tbe lines i kinda figured that they were r super impressed so i got the magnet and i really love it, im almost as happy to go out on it as on a surfboard.
As comfortable as the monk but so much more lively, and less power hungry than the bronq. Makes you want to ride hard for sure.
Ive had tiny goes on Jamie's and crazy fly raptor Ltd recently and i prefer the ronson although it does have lots more rocker so a little less aggressive, more suited to rougher water
Thank you so much for the review, I think I am gonna buy a ronson too (have heard so much positive about the board and it sounds like what I am looking for)
One more question: How flexy are the tips on the magnet?

bambooli
Rare Poster

Postby bambooli » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:17 pm

There's certainly less flex than on the monk i had but it performs just as well in chop and its really good on the wave so not once have i thought it needed more flex. Maybe in super flat water you might want a stiffer board if you're damn good!!
I feel like the board can handle way more than i could ever throw at it, whilst i felt the monk hax a pretty low ceiling.
And the bronq needed just the right conditions, the magnet just handles effortlessly really
These users thanked the author bambooli for the post:
Lukas M (Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:41 pm)

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:20 am

I got limited experience with other boards (just a handful the last couple of years), but my Ronson Player is by far the "best" I have ever tried. Really nothing I don't like with it. And the adjustable straps are excellent.

I also think the graphics on the Player is sensational. Not a big fan of the Magnet, but that is obviously a personal preference kind of thing.

Most of the places I ride are rather choppy. I think it handles chop brilliantly. Smooth and even if my board is quite big I rarely if ever lose my edge unless I mess up a jump. As for boosting I am probably not the right person to comment. I love the "swoosj" it gives me, but a) I am hardly a fantastic jumper and b) I have not ridden a high end board made for jumping to compare the Player with.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
Lukas M (Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:41 pm)

SolarSet
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: Switchblades 10m,
XR6 8m & 11m
Soul 15m
NHP Split
Shinn Ronson

Postby SolarSet » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:39 am

There is no difference between Player and Magnet except graphics I know it from Shinn team. Monk has change a lot in latest model but Ronson is pretty much unchanged for last two years.
Ronson is quite efficient board (riding in low wind with my soul 15m) but too soft for very big boosting, I can't kick this board just before take off like I do on my Nobile NHP but I have recently switched to new kite set and maybe needs some time to get used to.
IMHO Ronson is freeride board not freestyle like website tells
Last edited by SolarSet on Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author SolarSet for the post:
Lukas M (Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:42 pm)

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:45 am

I can see that. For those that kick hard and with excellent timing the Ronson might feel soft. I love the smoothness of it, but I would agree it is probably not a board if you are a fairly high end rider looking for the ultimate boosting board.

For me the trade off is worth it. Especially when you got to deal with chop.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
Lukas M (Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:42 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”