Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 190
Local Beach: Clearwater
Gear: Core and litewave
Brand Affiliation: None

Just now joining the fun. New kite surfer alert

Postby DiyBrad » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:08 am

I moved to Clearwater Fl about 4 years ago and didn’t know a thing about Kitesurfing. I was driving to Miami not long after moving here and on my way to the Skyway I saw all these kites to the east side of the causeway. I have been wanting to try it out ever since. My wife and I purchased a boat to start wakeboarding/Surfing right as C19 hit and that brought kitesurfing right back into my priorities.

Recently we have been seeing some kiters on a couple of the islands we frequent so I decided to do some homework. Before I made the leap into getting lessons I wanted to have an idea of how the kite felt. I ended up buying a 2.5m 4 line trainer kite and started experimenting on week days when no one was at the beach. I was hooked the very first time the kite flew. Took a bit of trial and error since I went at it on my own. Took a bit to learn the self launch and a couple oh shit moments when I over powered and had to use the release.

I decided to go for it and start taking lessons. I have only had one 3 hour session so far but it was more amazing than expected. After about two hours I was up on the board and this is where I found my weakness. My board skills with my left foot forward and great and since that’s how I learned to wake board, when my right foot goes forward, it’s like watching a baby learn to walk. When I would tack (Not sure if that is the proper term, I used to sail) and switch to the right foot forward, I would immediately crash. I am going to spend a day or two behind the boat to work on fixing that.

Ended up deciding to make the full commitment and decided to buy a bunch of gear. My wife is going to start as well but Only once I get more lessons. I have a 2 and 4 year old so I have to have her bought in to me needing to disappear on windy days.

Looking forward to the journey and people I will meet along the way.

Brad
Attachments
9F8038E6-D2B2-4F5A-AA85-D63FF6402FB0.jpeg
These users thanked the author DiyBrad for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:17 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Kitedicted
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Naish Pivot 9, 11m

Re: Just now joining the fun. New kite surfer alert

Postby Kitedicted » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:23 am

Welcome to the party, finding kiting is like falling in love. That is one big ass twintip ;)

Aberdovy kiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 83 kgs
Local Beach: West coastline of mid wales, encompassing aberdovy, harlech, borth, barmouth
Favorite Beaches: Aberdovy mid wales
Style: Freestyle, freeride
Gear: North rebels 10, 13
Flysurfer 15m speed delux
Nobile T5 140x44
Crazyfly raptor pro 132x41

Postby Aberdovy kiter » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:48 am

Textbook, learner kite, lessons, way to go! You'll be surprised how quick you body will adapt to going on your boogie side, the important thing to remember is to practice on both sides, good luck and enjoy..

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:03 am

I have seen couples bring their children to the beach and swop between play time and kiting. Needs a bit of discipline to keep everything safe but looks a great day out. Good lessons are great but TOW and TUK are really important. It is not intellectually difficult but it requires a lot of brain training/muscle memory. The analogy of a toddler learning to walk is pretty accurate. Worth remembering that you will be at your most vulnerable and at your most dangerous in the early stages so don't rush to push on to stronger winds. Good luck and stay safe.

windrider1
Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:10 pm

You went straight for the top notch expensive gear nicee! :D
DiyBrad wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:08 am
I moved to Clearwater Fl about 4 years ago and didn’t know a thing about Kitesurfing. I was driving to Miami not long after moving here and on my way to the Skyway I saw all these kites to the east side of the causeway. I have been wanting to try it out ever since. My wife and I purchased a boat to start wakeboarding/Surfing right as C19 hit and that brought kitesurfing right back into my priorities.

Recently we have been seeing some kiters on a couple of the islands we frequent so I decided to do some homework. Before I made the leap into getting lessons I wanted to have an idea of how the kite felt. I ended up buying a 2.5m 4 line trainer kite and started experimenting on week days when no one was at the beach. I was hooked the very first time the kite flew. Took a bit of trial and error since I went at it on my own. Took a bit to learn the self launch and a couple oh shit moments when I over powered and had to use the release.

I decided to go for it and start taking lessons. I have only had one 3 hour session so far but it was more amazing than expected. After about two hours I was up on the board and this is where I found my weakness. My board skills with my left foot forward and great and since that’s how I learned to wake board, when my right foot goes forward, it’s like watching a baby learn to walk. When I would tack (Not sure if that is the proper term, I used to sail) and switch to the right foot forward, I would immediately crash. I am going to spend a day or two behind the boat to work on fixing that.

Ended up deciding to make the full commitment and decided to buy a bunch of gear. My wife is going to start as well but Only once I get more lessons. I have a 2 and 4 year old so I have to have her bought in to me needing to disappear on windy days.

Looking forward to the journey and people I will meet along the way.

Brad

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9m, SST 4/5/7m, UFO 5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/82/91/101cm masts with 800/425 695/425 637/420 1000/421 wingsets, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Moses 80cm alu mast $260

Postby grigorib » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:58 pm

Welcome to sport Brad,
In addition to lessons practice flying the kite a lot, watch lots of training videos, read a lot on safety. It’s an amazing sport and Florida, yet with light winds offers beautiful beaches and ocean to ride.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9m, SST 4/5/7m, UFO 5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/82/91/101cm masts with 800/425 695/425 637/420 1000/421 wingsets, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Moses 80cm alu mast $260

Postby grigorib » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:03 pm

Welcome to sport Brad,
In addition to lessons practice flying the kite a lot, watch lots of training videos, read a lot on safety. It’s an amazing sport and Florida, yet with light winds offers beautiful beaches and ocean to ride.

In a twintip you’d ride both regular (as you are) and goofy (right foot forward). For me after being lifelong skateboard exclusively goofy rider other direction was not easy in the beginning but eventually it my strong side to jump and I kitefoil exclusively goofy. It’s fun to learn.

Wait till you discover hydrofoiling behind the boat, kitefoiling or wingfoiling or efoiling - that will be mindblowing

DiyBrad
Rare Poster

Postby DiyBrad » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:01 pm

Kitedicted wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:23 am
Welcome to the party, finding kiting is like falling in love. That is one big ass twintip ;)
I fell in love immediately. Wish I would have started sooner but as they say, better now than never. I was going to buy two kites but I was a bit delusional thinking they would be much less expensive and had sticker shock. I am actually going to go back and buy a 9 this weekend and I will probably need a full wet suit as well.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.76m
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9076° W (UK South Coast)
Gear: Lieuwe Shotguns
Ozone Enduro V2s
Flite 14.5 Aluula
Duotone Fish

Postby iriejohn » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:08 pm

Welcome to another junkie and hopefully to two more junkies including Mrs Brad. :thumb:

DiyBrad
Rare Poster

Postby DiyBrad » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:09 pm

Herman wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:03 am
I have seen couples bring their children to the beach and swop between play time and kiting. Needs a bit of discipline to keep everything safe but looks a great day out. Good lessons are great but TOW and TUK are really important. It is not intellectually difficult but it requires a lot of brain training/muscle memory. The analogy of a toddler learning to walk is pretty accurate. Worth remembering that you will be at your most vulnerable and at your most dangerous in the early stages so don't rush to push on to stronger winds. Good luck and stay safe.
Excuse my lack of knowledge but what are TOW and TUK? My quick google search didn’t bring anything useful back.

Return to “Kitesurfing”