Local Beach: Clearwater
Gear: Core and litewave
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Just now joining the fun. New kite surfer alert

Postby DiyBrad » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:17 pm

grigorib wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:03 pm
Welcome to sport Brad,
In addition to lessons practice flying the kite a lot, watch lots of training videos, read a lot on safety. It’s an amazing sport and Florida, yet with light winds offers beautiful beaches and ocean to ride.

In a twintip you’d ride both regular (as you are) and goofy (right foot forward). For me after being lifelong skateboard exclusively goofy rider other direction was not easy in the beginning but eventually it my strong side to jump and I kitefoil exclusively goofy. It’s fun to learn.

Wait till you discover hydrofoiling behind the boat, kitefoiling or wingfoiling or efoiling - that will be mindblowing
I already have my eye on some foil gear but I need to make use of the new gear I have first. I really want one of the efoils but with a sticker of 12-14k, it will have to wait. I will probably end up with one once the windy season ends here.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:52 pm

DiyBrad wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:17 pm
grigorib wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:03 pm
Welcome to sport Brad,
In addition to lessons practice flying the kite a lot, watch lots of training videos, read a lot on safety. It’s an amazing sport and Florida, yet with light winds offers beautiful beaches and ocean to ride.

In a twintip you’d ride both regular (as you are) and goofy (right foot forward). For me after being lifelong skateboard exclusively goofy rider other direction was not easy in the beginning but eventually it my strong side to jump and I kitefoil exclusively goofy. It’s fun to learn.

Wait till you discover hydrofoiling behind the boat, kitefoiling or wingfoiling or efoiling - that will be mindblowing
I already have my eye on some foil gear but I need to make use of the new gear I have first. I really want one of the efoils but with a sticker of 12-14k, it will have to wait. I will probably end up with one once the windy season ends here.
Exactly - efoils are for no wind days. And since they dropped to 5-10k already and you have a dealer in Miami who is a passionate kitefoiler and wingfoiler so demoing gear would be easy. And having a boat is an easy call to get a hydrofoil.
I’m currently inquiring him on <$4900 Waydoo efoil

Anyways, start kiting, ask questions - you’ll find all the answers, especially here.

Jamesconn300
Rare Poster
Local Beach: North America
Gear: _if it Flys or Floats
Brand Affiliation: _mars bars

Postby Jamesconn300 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:52 pm

A few items:

Watch youtube tutorials till your eyes bleed.
Invest in a smaller board that you're able to ride toeside. Guys correct me if im wrong, but near impossible to ride toeside on door board? (not that I ride toeside often but I think helps with board skills)
Invest in the foil board as soon as possible. The most important piece of the foil board is the powerboat to train on it with. You have that piece and in Florida, there should be many nice no wind days to practice. After around 60 hours of tow foiling over 2 years, I was able to kitefoil first try.
Interesting that you experienced being overpowered with a 2.5 and had to eject, I think Id need 60 knots to accomplish that!
Don't think of more lessons as money down the drain that could have gone to more equipment. Since you already have a sailing and board background, 10-15 hours of lessons is normal.
Im curious to your gear choice. It's common to post kite and board sizes along with weight on this forum, you'll see that alot. After zooming in on your pic I see your large kite is 13.5. Really good choice for Florida I think. Off to a good start it seems..

ELI
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom

Postby ELI » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:45 pm

Time on water ,tuk ?

ELI
Frequent Poster

Postby ELI » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:46 pm

Time under kite ?

ELI
Frequent Poster

Postby ELI » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:47 pm

Just don't BAF and Mow ,,,TURN

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:02 pm

ELI wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:47 pm
Just don't BAF and Mow ,,,TURN
:lol: :lol: :lol:

TOW and TUK...... I never would have known. Thanks, ELI.

Now.....don't BAF???... Hmmmmm.....Don't "Be A Fool"??? (Or, like we used to say in school....BDBNF......"Bo', Don't Be No Fool".)

Okay. I give up. :-?

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:11 pm

Back and forth
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post:
FLandOBX (Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:32 am)
Rating: 3.03%

DiyBrad
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 190
Local Beach: Clearwater
Gear: Core and litewave

Postby DiyBrad » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:38 pm

Jamesconn300 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:52 pm
A few items:

Watch youtube tutorials till your eyes bleed.
Invest in a smaller board that you're able to ride toeside. Guys correct me if im wrong, but near impossible to ride toeside on door board? (not that I ride toeside often but I think helps with board skills)
Invest in the foil board as soon as possible. The most important piece of the foil board is the powerboat to train on it with. You have that piece and in Florida, there should be many nice no wind days to practice. After around 60 hours of tow foiling over 2 years, I was able to kitefoil first try.
Interesting that you experienced being overpowered with a 2.5 and had to eject, I think Id need 60 knots to accomplish that!
Don't think of more lessons as money down the drain that could have gone to more equipment. Since you already have a sailing and board background, 10-15 hours of lessons is normal.
Im curious to your gear choice. It's common to post kite and board sizes along with weight on this forum, you'll see that alot. After zooming in on your pic I see your large kite is 13.5. Really good choice for Florida I think. Off to a good start it seems..
In reality I wasn’t overpowered. It was the first time under a kite that my daughter didn’t own and wasn’t a unicorn so there were a couple of times that felt like an oh shit moment that I couldn’t control so I just ejected out of reaction. Now that I have better understanding of how to control the kite, I don’t think I could get over powered on the 2.5. I have planned on about 9-12 hours of lessons over the next couple weeks once I get more comfortable with goofy foot. I don’t want to waste time and money with the instructor on that since I can practice behind my boat. I do also plan to get a smaller 135-140 board I just haven’t started researching them yet. I am 195lbs so if anyone had some suggestions to start looking into, I am all ears.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:47 pm

^^ Ejecting is a really good instinct to start with. Many people have a great deal of trouble letting go of the bar when things are going wrong.

Even small foils can generate real power. My biggest ever OBE, out of buggy experience, was with a 2m legend.

You will have sussed the meaning of TOW and TUK from the recent posts. You can increase your useful TUK if you can pick up a small cheap LEI to use for beach training. Small LEIs fly ok in lighter wind, might need to lengthen rear pig to reduce backstall, and it will allow you to practice the basics of kite handling without much risk.

The conundrum for the beginner learning to ride is everything is much easier with power but power can also get you into trouble or hurt. Therefore you have to learn some kiteskills in underpowered conditions which actually makes riding a little more difficult but much safer. But it is all good fun.

Return to “Kitesurfing”