Weight: 190
Local Beach: Clearwater
Gear: Core and litewave
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Just now joining the fun. New kite surfer alert

Postby DiyBrad » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:56 am

Herman wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:47 pm
^^ Ejecting is a really good instinct to start with. Many people have a great deal of trouble letting go of the bar when things are going wrong.

Even small foils can generate real power. My biggest ever OBE, out of buggy experience, was with a 2m legend.

You will have sussed the meaning of TOW and TUK from the recent posts. You can increase your useful TUK if you can pick up a small cheap LEI to use for beach training. Small LEIs fly ok in lighter wind, might need to lengthen rear pig to reduce backstall, and it will allow you to practice the basics of kite handling without much risk.

The conundrum for the beginner learning to ride is everything is much easier with power but power can also get you into trouble or hurt. Therefore you have to learn some kiteskills in underpowered conditions which actually makes riding a little more difficult but much safer. But it is all good fun.
My trainer kite is the newest version of the Ocean Rodeo React 2.5 and I have flown it for around 7-8 hours so far. It fly’s pretty well in light wind but it does have a tendency to back stall quite a bit especially when I first started using it. I have been using it this week to learn to do solo launches and landings. They are getting much easier but I am sure larger kites bring in more challenges. I try to learn learn one new skill each time I use it. I will work on my board skills behind my boat this weekend and the do another 3 hour training session early next week.

I went out to the Skyway Bridge this weekend just to watch everyone when it comes to right of way and etiquette. There had to be over 100 people there and no less than 30 flying at any given time. Looked really chaotic at first but after awhile, I started to understand what everyone was doing and why. Saw a few kites crash on to the beach which I assume is somewhat common on a beach that busy.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:23 am

Your sailing experience will be very useful and you have an ideal set up. Understanding backstall is a very good thing. When properly trimmed and powered the problem largely disappears until you are doing advanced stuff. But as a beginner in underpowered conditions one of the biggest dangers is clumsy oversheeting and having the kite fly backwards into the power zone. The beginner then releases the bar and whoosh the kite powers up and they are off their feet. The trick is to recognise backstall early and sheet out before this happens. It is good that your trainer does this.

When practicing in light winds and sheeting out is not enough to recover the stall, grab the front lines and pull, this will get the kite flying forward again.

PS. Busy kite beachs will usually have lots of people approx beam reaching. Normal sailing rules apply but more importantly passing is windward kite up, leeward kite low and apply common sense. Decent riders normally try to give beginners space.
As a beginner try not to leave your kite high longer than necessary, nobody wants a 100ft tree in the middle of the beach or bay but this is a little difficult at first.

I will leave you in peace as I think you will do just fine!!! Learn how to tether launch your trainer in a decent breeze 14-16knts using a sandbag.

leeuwen
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Migrating to free style foiling
Gear: Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m
KauperXT Maverick 6M
Airrush Ultra v3 5M
Slingshot ghost 4M
Core XR6 8M
Core XR5 10 /12 / 17M,
Moses Onda / Crazy Fly Raptor LTD Neon / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:29 pm

DiyBrad wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:56 am
My trainer kite is the newest version of the Ocean Rodeo React 2.5 and I have flown it for around 7-8 hours so far. It fly’s pretty well in light wind but it does have a tendency to back stall quite a bit especially when I first started using it.
Note that the smaller the kite gets the bigger the impact of sheeting the bar.
Basically you are changing the angle of attack with sheeting in/out.
The same amount of sheeting will have larger angle of attack change the smaller the kite gets.
Bridles can probably negate this a bit but its also a used/fun aspect of very small kites.
e.g. when on a foil or wave board you can intentionally backstall to kill kite power.

DiyBrad
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020

Postby DiyBrad » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:46 pm

I already have the CORE XR 13.5 but I am about to purchase a 9. Should I stick with the XR series for that kite also?

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:58 pm

DiyBrad wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:46 pm
I already have the CORE XR 13.5 but I am about to purchase a 9. Should I stick with the XR series for that kite also?
YES! Same kite really helps being easy to understand as you eliminate variables.

leeuwen
Medium Poster
KauperXT Maverick 6M
Airrush Ultra v3 5M
Slingshot ghost 4M
Core XR6 8M
Core XR5 10 /12 / 17M,

Postby leeuwen » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:07 pm

XR is a nice kite for the segment
It’s focus is mostly old school/ big air and they handle gusty conditions extremely well. They are also reasonably beginner friendly and you won’t grow out of them if you just want a jumping machine. If you are looking for other things like a kite to unhook with this is not it though.

Note that I personally think the 8m is the nicest kite in the XR line up so if you want to go out in 30+ Kn conditions (and if you have those locally) I would go for eg a 10m+8m quiver.
Unless you are very light you won’t really need anything smaller for your twintip then the 8m once you get good enough to hold lots of power.
So IMHO it’s better then getting a 9m + 7m if that’s your current line of thinking.

Kitedicted
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Naish Pivot 9, 11m

Postby Kitedicted » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:24 pm

^ Sure but since he got the 13.5 already just get the 9. Already quite a gap there

leeuwen
Medium Poster
KauperXT Maverick 6M
Airrush Ultra v3 5M
Slingshot ghost 4M
Core XR6 8M
Core XR5 10 /12 / 17M,

Postby leeuwen » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:37 pm

Yeah, that’s why I said think about getting a (13.5) + 10 and 8 as an alternative for a potential long term 3 kite quiver of (13.5) + 9 and 7.

Of course if you don’t have any plans/needs to get any smaller kites then 9m then stick to 9m.
13.5m to 8m is indeed suboptimal for a 2 kite quiver.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.76m
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9076° W (UK South Coast)
Gear: Lieuwe Shotguns
Ozone Enduro V2s
Flite 14.5 Aluula
Duotone Fish

Postby iriejohn » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:46 pm

leeuwen wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:29 pm
DiyBrad wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:56 am
My trainer kite is the newest version of the Ocean Rodeo React 2.5 and I have flown it for around 7-8 hours so far. It fly’s pretty well in light wind but it does have a tendency to back stall quite a bit especially when I first started using it.
Note that the smaller the kite gets the bigger the impact of sheeting the bar.
Basically you are changing the angle of attack with sheeting in/out.
The same amount of sheeting will have larger angle of attack change the smaller the kite gets.
Bridles can probably negate this a bit but its also a used/fun aspect of very small kites.
e.g. when on a foil or wave board you can intentionally backstall to kill kite power.
That's what I said on the Neo thread:
iriejohn wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:09 pm
Because a small kite typically has a far smaller chord than a large kite you normally won't sheet a small kite in the same way as you would a large kite.

This is because the sheeting range of movement used on a large kite will when used on a small kite make it easier to increase the angle of attack beyond the stall point.

DiyBrad
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020

Postby DiyBrad » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:47 am

So if I am going to have 2 kites, 13.5 and 9 are the way. If 3 is the way 13.5, 10, 8.

Since I am learning I figure now is the time ask as many questions. Since I am in west central Florida with relativity light winds for most of the year, would it be better to think about a 3 kite quiver with the 13.5 and 9 and maybe add a 17 or 19 for the really light days?

Return to “Kitesurfing”