Forum for kitesurfers
Jamesconn300
Rare Poster
Local Beach: North America
Gear: _if it Flys or Floats
Brand Affiliation: _mars bars

Re: Just now joining the fun. New kite surfer alert

Postby Jamesconn300 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:43 am

Since you are 195 pounds you should be able to easily hold down the 13.5m in 16-22 kt the 9m in 23-31 kt...
My quiver for twin tip is 15m 13.5m 12m 9m 8m @150lbs, broke my 7m kinda miss it. 15m works for me in 13-17kt

60% of my sessions are on the 13.5m
30% of my sessions are on the 9m

McLovin
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 275
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Rufus & Rooster
Style: Mostly TT and some SB not FOILING YET
Gear: 2017 N Rebels, 2019 Flite 14.5- North Trust Bars and Crazy Fly Raptor Neon TT
Brand Affiliation: Just stuff I like...

Postby McLovin » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:57 am

Hey DIYBrad!

Welcome - you are off to an impressive start and getting lots of good advice from the community. Regarding your kite acquisition plan definitely stick with the same brand/model the XR's you have is a great one. The 13.5m is a great choice in FL - at your size better to go 10m and then maybe 8m for stronger winds vs. 9m and 7m which are the common size for all the 140-165lber's - Can't stress this enough don't listen to the little people they will give you BAD ADVICE mostly unintentionally, but trust me.

IMHO you would be well set up with the above range. 13.5 / 10 / 8 and even the 8 could wait until you get more comfortable kiting = that means NOT going when and if the winds get too strong, which eventually is EXACTLY when you'll want to go, but it's healthy to have a CUT-OFF - don't be a hero, plenty of unsavory things happen to the guys that try to kite in hurricane force winds.

More likely to your question about LIGHT WINDS which FL has lots of - you want to be careful about sizing up...

Your 13.5m is a great kite as is - once you get above 14m it's really specialized territory and NOT all the kites they make work great at these BIG sizes. That said, probably best to just fly your stuff and make it work or DEMO kites in the BIG BIG sizes before buying as they are more expensive and less easy to sell later on. You may find a specialized kite made for light wind - read super light construction etc. etc. or even a foil kite but this is NOT good for you yet.

Others will advise you to learn to FOIL and they are not wrong. FOILS are the answer for light winds, but a lot harder to master - with your boat and high stoke level you may be on it - that said, if you go the FOIL road you most certainly won't need anything bigger than you have already - or less.

BE SMART - have fun - don't forget the wife & kids

Best,

Mc

:dance:
These users thanked the author McLovin for the post:
DiyBrad (Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:47 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

DiyBrad
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 190
Local Beach: Clearwater
Gear: Core and litewave
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby DiyBrad » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:58 pm

So much great advice on here. Thank you guys for being so accommodating. I am on a lot of car and boat forums and seems post like these end up going down rabbit holes with people arguing but not here.

I am going to go purchase a XR 10 kite tomorrow and will hold off for now on the 8.

I haven't done any research on this yet but what is everyone doing for go pro mounts?

gator1
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard
Has thanked: 0

Postby gator1 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:06 pm

DiyBrad wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:58 pm
So much great advice on here. Thank you guys for being so accommodating. I am on a lot of car and boat forums and seems post like these end up going down rabbit holes with people arguing but not here.

I am going to go purchase a XR 10 kite tomorrow and will hold off for now on the 8.

I haven't done any research on this yet but what is everyone doing for go pro mounts?
Dont buy new kites, get good 2nd hand if you can. You will trash those new kites.

Also second hand lets you get an idea of what you prefer without having to commit to the price tag.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9m, SST 4/5/7m, UFO 5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/82/91/101cm masts with 800/425 695/425 637/420 1000/421 wingsets, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Moses 80cm alu mast $260

Postby grigorib » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:10 pm

DiyBrad wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:58 pm

7-10-13.5 is a good line. Space them 1/3 size apart
GoPro mouth mount gives absolutely best results. Line mount is ok for few seconds of video too.

Greenturtle
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Gear: Turbine 19, Flite 14.5, 12, 10, Rally 7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:12 pm

DiyBrad wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:47 am
So if I am going to have 2 kites, 13.5 and 9 are the way. If 3 is the way 13.5, 10, 8.

Since I am learning I figure now is the time ask as many questions. Since I am in west central Florida with relativity light winds for most of the year, would it be better to think about a 3 kite quiver with the 13.5 and 9 and maybe add a 17 or 19 for the really light days?
Florida is a very light wind oriented place, some may suggest small kites next but you will literally, like almost never, use a 9m and twintip in FL except for rare occasions this time of year, maybe. Think about what wind speeds you actually get in your area most of the year. The number is 8-12knot maybe 15knots most of the time that wind does in fact come and its warm (gutless) air compared to cooler climates.

I would go 13.5 + 17 (or 19) if I was you before getting smaller size. Don’t let anyone tell you big kites and light wind aren’t fun. It is their personal deficiency if they cant have fun on a big kite, not the gear or conditions. If thats the wind speed you have to work with most of the time, then get out there and work it. Light wind on a 17 or 13.5 is the best conditions and gear to work on tricks like backrolls and basic airs without getting spanked.
Windance has a bunch of used core kites right now including 17s for under 500 bucks. Get one of those and crash it repeatedly without a care.
This coming from someone who rides in all wind speeds including 30knt quite a bit. Light wind is fun man. Big kites are fun. Wish I was going to FL this winter but maybe next year. Welcome to the sport, your life will never be the same again!

DiyBrad
Rare Poster

Postby DiyBrad » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:07 pm

My local shop has what appears to be a really good condition Core GTS5 10M for over half off. I was hoping they would have an XR but no luck. Would the GTS5 be a good kite to further practice my kite skills (aka crashing the kite) before I do any unneeded wear on my new kite or purchase any more new kites?

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9m, SST 4/5/7m, UFO 5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/82/91/101cm masts with 800/425 695/425 637/420 1000/421 wingsets, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Moses 80cm alu mast $260

Postby grigorib » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:32 pm

You can use something simpler than that if you’re going to ruin a kite. You can get a decent kite to practice with for $250. And stay with delta kites - they’re awesome

DiyBrad
Rare Poster

Postby DiyBrad » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:26 am

Went out for my second instructor led session today and holy shit. I thought I was hooked before, I was so wrong. After about 45 minutes of some kite skills in the shallows we moved out to a little deeper water and out to where the wind was cleaner and more consistent. It was mostly a light wind day with 12-15. The wind would completely drop off at some points and kite would Just fall out of the air. Toward the end of the session wind picked up I was able to finally get a real ride on the board. After a couple short rides then falls, I finally learned to trust the harness and set back and get on edge. HOLY SMOKES. I track my car pretty close to the edge on the road course and that doesn’t even come close to the rush. Not sure the exact distance for the ride but it was probably close to half a mile before I needed to transition before hitting a wind shadow.

If you read any of my other posts I am still not good riding goofy. I accidentally learned I am better riding toeside than goofy. But since that wasn’t the lesson, I forced my self to learn to start goofy. Still didn’t have a long ride goofy but I did at least get the hang of starting goofy. My natural instinct sometimes takes over and I switch to toe side but I am getting better.

Had an odd incident happen that actually became a powerful learning experience. I hope I explain it correctly. I just crashed the kite and did a relaunch. I brought the kite up to 12 and had my left hand on the center of the bar. I reached back and grabbed the board and was bringing it around the front. As I was doing that I pushed the board a little below the surface and the edge of the board caught the ever so slight edge of my chicken loop QR. This was during the stronger wind and the kite instantly powered up. I had no idea what was happening so I let go of the board to grabbed the bar and I do that I see my safety leash coming out of the water. I knew that wasn’t right but I didn’t know why. Luckily Brad (instructor not me in the 3rd person) was right behind me on his ski and saw shit getting real. He just yells, let go, so I did. I never even thought about an accidental chicken hoop release so I now know that it very possible. I learned a ton about how to do a kite recovery in the water (4-5ft). In this case some things got tangled and Brad had to jump in the water and show me what to do to make sure lines are cleared before a relaunch to avoid looping. Left hand line ended up being wrapped around the bar end. I also learned that shit can go south unexpectedly very quickly. You see it in videos but you honestly don’t get it until it happens.

I will say this. If you get into this sport without an instructor or a really good friend that has done this for years, you are fucking insane. All in so far I have about 4 hour of instructor time and 6-8 hours of trainer kite time. Going out with the instructor again on Friday. I am already counting the minutes.

McLovin
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 275
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Rufus & Rooster
Style: Mostly TT and some SB not FOILING YET
Gear: 2017 N Rebels, 2019 Flite 14.5- North Trust Bars and Crazy Fly Raptor Neon TT
Brand Affiliation: Just stuff I like...

Postby McLovin » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:06 am

DIYBrad,

Agree 1000% on having good instruction - KITING is a sport where you really can't DIY at first anyway. Good story about respecting the eventual hazards - wrapped lines around the bar ends are VERY NO BUENO - also let's not wrap lines around wingtips, or hands - let's just avoid ALL WRAPPING. Add to that never walk into / on lines of an unsecured kite, guess WHY? Guess how I know :)

You are off to a great start - did you get a 10m? Add a bigger - 13/14 and you will be able to get kiting a bunch... There are hundreds of great choices but I'll give you one to check out. The Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5m is a kite that gets me happily riding in about 14-20mph and I'm 275lbs - it turns reasonably fast for a BIG kite and is easy to use. Mine is the regular construction which works fine but if you feel inspired they make it in the fancy ALUULA material which makes it super duper light (good for Florida) but also super duper expensive. You choose how fast to chase the dragon ---- but from the sounds of it the transformation is already well underway.

Although I didn't appreciate the wisdom when one of my first kite instructors said to me, "or you could just f*cking SEND IT" - It's definitely an option.

Keep kiting and then do some more KITING - it only gets more and more FUN - soon you will be a SKY SURFER!

Cheers,

Mc

:dance:

Return to “Kitesurfing”