Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Quivers

Forum for kitesurfers
Aberdovy kiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 83 kgs
Local Beach: West coastline of mid wales, encompassing aberdovy, harlech, borth, barmouth
Favorite Beaches: Aberdovy mid wales
Style: Freestyle, freeride
Gear: North rebels 10, 13
Flysurfer 15m speed delux
Nobile T5 140x44
Crazyfly raptor pro 132x41
Brand Affiliation: None

Quivers

Postby Aberdovy kiter » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:16 pm

It's been suggested to me by a retailer to rethink my idea about my quiver, at the moment I've got a traditional quiver all the same kites but in different sizes, 8,10,13m rebels, the suggestion given is for 7m dice for fast turning in high winds a 10m evo for a responsive playful kite in moderate winds and a 12m rebel in lower winds due to the rebels ability to create it's own apparent wind. To be fair to the retailer I've never really throught along those lines and the idea of mixing up kites like this seems on the surface to be a good one, just wonder what other people think. I'm an intermediate rider (6yrs) mostly concentrate on jumping, tricks etc, looking to start unhooking and looping...

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Re: Quivers

Postby Havre » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:45 pm

Personal preference kind of thing to me.

I have never tried a 7m Rebel, but wouldn't all 7ms be rather fast regardless of "type"? So you can actually accept the type being a bit slow as the size of the kite makes it fast regardless. And wouldn't you rather want a big kite that is relatively fast - as those are the ones that are getting slow? At the same time - as in this example - I love the power you get from a big Rebel.

Windigo1
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:58 pm

Personally I like a 7M that is not too fast and I value stability and depower more than turning speed for this size. When you are riding in storm conditions with gust over 40 knots you want something stable and forgiving. A super fast kite that will yank you from the board is not the best idea. I own 2 7m and also a 5m I have 3 complete quivers one of single strut for foiling including a 7m Boxer and a 7M Prodigy in my freeride quiver that I have often taken above 40 knots even 50 knots on the snow and I am always amazed how stable and forgiving this kite is. I have had crazy fast 7m in the past with little depower and I'm not going back there...

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9m, SST 4/5/7m, UFO 5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/91/101cm masts with 800/425 695/425 637/420 1000/421 wingsets, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Moses 80cm alu mast $260

Postby grigorib » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:13 pm

I would say the light wind kite should be a specific model.
But for the remaining line I try to preach same model across the quiver. Not every kite model is same actual size for a number printed on the canopy and you might end up with weird spacing to say the least. Even if sizes are accurate they’d still have different pull to a size because of different geometry.
Same model kites would behave the same, relaunch the same, looping and turning will be proportional to the size, would stay (or not) on the ground before weighed down the same.

I’d say stay at same model for a whole line maybe except a different lightwind kite (which can also be spaced differently in means of size line)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:50 pm

Aberdovy kiter wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:16 pm
It's been suggested to me by a retailer to rethink my idea about my quiver, at the moment I've got a traditional quiver all the same kites but in different sizes, 8,10,13m rebels, the suggestion given is for 7m dice for fast turning in high winds a 10m evo for a responsive playful kite in moderate winds and a 12m rebel in lower winds due to the rebels ability to create it's own apparent wind. To be fair to the retailer I've never really throught along those lines and the idea of mixing up kites like this seems on the surface to be a good one, just wonder what other people think. I'm an intermediate rider (6yrs) mostly concentrate on jumping, tricks etc, looking to start unhooking and looping...
what's your weight and most common wind speed?

Aberdovy kiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 83 kgs
Local Beach: West coastline of mid wales, encompassing aberdovy, harlech, borth, barmouth
Favorite Beaches: Aberdovy mid wales
Style: Freestyle, freeride
Gear: North rebels 10, 13
Flysurfer 15m speed delux
Nobile T5 140x44
Crazyfly raptor pro 132x41

Postby Aberdovy kiter » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:21 pm

Toby wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:50 pm
Aberdovy kiter wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:16 pm
what's your weight and most common wind speed?
Weight 80kgs
I fly in the uk so 35knts to 15knts used to gusty conditions on the welsh coast.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:32 pm

I tried a mixed quiver and didn't like it. The difference between the jump techniques and timings between different models (in my case Evo 7m in a Rebel quiver) made me sell after a single session. I decided I wanted the minimum of time needed to get tuned in, for the kite that was most likely to give me a trip to A&E (hospital) so the mixed quiver on the low end just doesn't work for me.

Its all good in theory to have the 'perfect kite' for the conditions but I just don't think it works for the average joe as we don't have enough water time.
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
Aberdovy kiter (Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:59 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:42 pm

I’ve got Rebels, Neo, Evo, in different sizes, years. I didn’t intend it this way, just happened but I do enjoy the variety.

R7m18, R9m16, N9m19, E10m17, R11m16, R12m18 and R14m16. (Kite,size,year).

R7m on 2021 small click bar is fast after using 2017 click for a couple years (wider). Also, the older kites weigh a ton compared to newer ones.

I thinks it’s great idea but not sure it works for everyone, maybe explore it on demo kites first. I’ve also got blade, Gong, Kauper and Souls for the same reason. I enjoy the variety and just rotate around when I get board. Same with boards and foils.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.76m
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9076° W (UK South Coast)
Gear: Lieuwe Shotguns
Ozone Enduro V2s
Flite 14.5 Aluula
Duotone Fish

Postby iriejohn » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:03 pm

grigorib wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:13 pm
I’d say stay at same model for a whole line maybe except a different lightwind kite (which can also be spaced differently in means of size line)
Which is what I have, 7/9/12 Enduro V2 and 14.5 Flite Aluula for light wind. Works fine for me. :thumb:
These users thanked the author iriejohn for the post:
grigorib (Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:41 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:34 pm

I have a mixed quiver. I love the pivot, but I also love the slash for waves...even if the pivots are great for waves too. I thought first I would use the pivots in larger sizes and then the slash in smaller, but it turns out I have stacked quiver with pivot, slash and a tiny boxer for foiling. I find the flexibility it affords me really, really nice. The Naish kites in general has a recognizable feel across the kites. The kites handle slightly different, but nothing that is too bad, and so the difference in how they handle different wind conditions and for different riding styles is just such an advantage.

Return to “Kitesurfing”