knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kiting prognosis after heart attack

Postby knotwindy » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:03 pm

Or it might be because most of what you have been told about plaque buildup is wrong. It does not relate to high or low cholesterol levels in the blood in any way even though the plaque itself is made of cholesterol. There have only been 2 decent long term, large group studies in the last 40 years and they both show the same results. Half the people who had heart problems had high cholesterol and half had low/normal cholesterol levels. So that’s not the reason.
We can get into details if you want but in short, as the heart pumps and increases the pressure in the coronary arteries they don’t stretch as they are supposed to as they have lost some elasticity but get slight tears in the internal lining instead. These are then patched with cholesterol and that is what causes the plaque to buildup. This has been know for quite some time and yes, it is reversible. Also, approximately 80% of the cholesterol in your body is made by your body so if you eat less it makes more, if you eat more it makes less. There are very few ways to increase your levels and they involve poor fats combined with excess simple carbs. And you should not believe me, of course, but examine that facts yourself.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and 1strut kites.

Postby jakemoore » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:39 pm

https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/medic ... n/lecture/

https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/ ... edications

https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/ ... art-attack

Does it make any sense at all to to challenge and debate medical dogma under an anonymous kite forum handle?

Recognized modifiable major risk factors for MI are:
Tobacco Smoke
High blood cholesterol especially low density lipoproteins
High blood pressure
Physical inactivity
Obesity
Diabetes

There is a mechanism to change our understanding of heart disease and some day we might lose interest in monitoring blood lipid levels. The people who have the passion to pursue that knowledge are interested in winning a Nobel prize in Medicine and not in gathering attention on the kite forum.
knotwindy wrote: It does not relate to high or low cholesterol levels in the blood in any way .....

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:13 pm

Old news. It MIGHT have a very small relationship with VLDL (not LDL) but it is tenuous at best.
And, of course, dogma, especially medical dogma has always been current, correct and never changing.
Stay with it if you wish, I said to research it yourself. It was posted to help explain the confusion earlier about how someone could be doing everything “right” and still have the problem with it seemingly unexplainable. It is possible it is explainable. If you don’t like or believe a different explanation, ignore it. It’s just an option to explore more deeply if interested.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and 1strut kites.

Postby jakemoore » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:52 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:13 pm
MIGHT
https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMoa040583

In this study comparing intensive vs standard therapy to reduce LDL in 4162 patients with acute coronary syndromes showed intensive therapy reduced LDL to 62 mg/dl vs 95 mg/dl on standard therapy. Intensive therapy and subsequently reduced LDL resulted in a 16 % decreased risk of death, recurrent MI, unstable angina or stroke.

There are non modifiable risk factors and treating the lipids does not immunize a person against MI. The evidence is very clear and compelling and spans decades of research. Increased LDL, decreased HDL and elevated triglycerides increase the risk of MI and treating blood lipids reduces the risk of MI.

knotwindy wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:13 pm
, I said to research it yourself.
We could go on for years and years but there is no use with the anti vaccine flat earth crowd. If you are giving advice that could kill someone, you really ought to use your real name.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=e ... ion&oq=ldl

For OP it might be worth asking the docs if you had “4 vessel disease” rather than “4 heart attacks I the past”. That way anonymous strangers on the internet can do a better job understanding and criticizing the specifics of your medical care.

For OP I would recommend to 1) listen to your cardiologist and 2) live the most active and full life you can.

I do think reaching out for support and asking if there is a kiteboarding future after CABG is a great resource and I hope the answer for you is yes.

gilana
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 70KG
Local Beach: We live on our sailing yacht and at the moment we are in the San Blas Islands of Panama, and we sometimes have visiting guests to come spend a week of wind with us...

Laura and Mike
Favorite Beaches: Chameys in San Andres Isla Colombia
Yansaladup in Kuna Yala Panama
Style: Old School
Gear: Ozone Edge 9m V8
Ozone Edge 9m V9
Ozone Edge 10m V9
Caution Santa Cruz Redline 132 TT
Epic Droid V2 135x41 TT
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby gilana » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:10 pm

Hey, Jakemoore and Knotwindy, cool it please. :whiteflag:

I came here to Kiteforum to ask if there were any other CABG kiters out there, and what their experience was regarding recovery speed and kiting levels after vs. before.

It appears a have a few years left, and might well be able to form the OFKC as previously discussed (Old Farts Kiting Club) I also have a few patent applications going in for Zimmer Twintips and Incontinence Harnesses. I am also considering the design of Colostomy Wetsuits.

To clarify things....

Regarding 3 previous heart attacks....Remember, this is all happening in a very fast Spanish, with unusual accents, and under the influence of several meds.
This is how it went down. I was busy measuring up to order a new mainsail for my boat/home. I went up the main mast to measure mast bend. This involves wearing a climbing harness and my wife belaying the halyard, while I climb up hand over hand on a thick spinnaker halyard. When I got to the top, I was a bit more puffed than usual, and put it down to covid related unfitness. I came down and went on with things, about 30 min later, I felt weak, had to sit, and became sweaty and rapid pulse, low sats (85%) I am located 3 hours from hospital. Phoned a Doctor friend, she said MI, get to hospital. So, I found a car who happened to be going in to the city, grabbed one of my oxygen cylinders, my pulse oximiter, and my wife got some cash, credit cards, a change of clothes, and off we went.

Arriving at the ER, I walked in dragging my O2 and pointed to my chest saying "Infarcto" they laughed, and said "no way" in Spanish, "you would not be able to walk" I was put in a wheelchair and then they poked light sabers down my nostrils as part of the covid test. This, apparently is the protocol, here in Panama there are designated covid hospitals, and covid free ones. Only once I had passed this test (and my wife) was I allowed past the curtains to the actual ER.

A cardiologist was standing by. They did the blood test to find high necrosis values, did an interview and EKG etc and decided I needed a stent put in immediately. Off to the OR, and Zzzzzzzzzz Woke up and feeling much better, they said that they did not put the stent in, and feeling better was from the tower of IV drugs going in. Then came the news...

Part of the stent process is an angiogram, where they pump a substance into your blood to be able to see the x-ray to decide where to put the stent. They noticed 4 areas of blockage, and decided that I was a candidate for bypass. So the stent ritual stopped and I was put into recovery, as they were not set up to do the bypass right then.

Next came the discussion that refers, after 3 hours of Cardiac Sonography, they said that prior to today, I had suffered some MI's as they could see the blockage, and the "shadows" necrosis downstream. They were more asking me about if and when I had noticed them...I could only recall one, that happened just after a battle of wits between me and a large Dog Snapper at about 25 ft deep, where I had eventually shot him but, he dived into a cave, and I had to get in there to untangle the gunline and pull him out. This made me overstay my bottom time, and when I got back to the dingy I felt really bad, but could not say if I was sweating. I managed to climb out into the dink, start the outboard, and get back to the yacht, but by then I felt fine....

So forgive the long story, but I understood them to say that I had had 3 Mi's (less serious) before...and just pushed on through them.

Jake, to answer your risk factors...

Tobacco Smoke NO
High blood cholesterol especially low density lipoproteins YES
High blood pressure NO
Physical inactivity NO
Obesity NO
Diabetes NO
healthy diet YES
Family History YES

Really, I was the last person to expect this....and this is partially my point in writing this here on a kite forum....I am passionate about my kiting, and I don't want this to happen to you!

If you, my fellow mellow kiters, have a similar profile to what I had....PLEASE go and get yourself checked out and take it seriously.
This operation sucks, it is expensive ($55,000.00 in Panama) and it messes up your life, and your loved ones.

Return to “Kitesurfing”