Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Post-truth politics & ram air kites

Forum for kitesurfers
longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Professional Online Kitebored Commenter.
Gear: Flysurfer VMGs 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18. Foilboard ( Masts 75 110 125 Wings 880 1100 1350) with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: Post-truth politics & ram air kites

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:00 am

*** This post has been flagged with a fact check warning. We advise you read the following information.

Independent fact checking authority (IFCA)

Flying sleeping bags have seen a huge resurgence since the average age of kiteboarders dropped to just below 22 1/2 years old ( down from 58 yo) following the legitimate transition of kiteboarding from a solely kiteboarder organised sport for 10 years, to that of a sailing sport by World Sailing, its true owners.

Worlds Sailings repeated claim (while known as ISAF) that kiteboarding is not in fact a form of sailing was a pure error of judgement at the time and years later a sensible reverse decision was in no way based on dwindling sailing participation or olympic funding money.

Today you just have to look to the horizon to see the plethora of flying sleeping bags lining the top kiting spots.

Whilst it used to be the case that flying sleeping bag flyers were mostly of retired age wearing helmets, reel leashes, impact vests and vital aqua rehydration packs, today you will find the majority of flying sleeping users are non sponsored, young freeriders, freestylers and wave riders interested in only one thing.. being epic.

The effects of this has been to see ever more affordable flying sleeping bags, enabling youth and 3rd world /developing countries participate in our wonderful sport.

When you consider that you can now buy a top performing flying sleeping bag quiver for just $10 000 ( bar and lines not included.. flysurfer VMG), it's not surprising the upsurge in flying sleeping bag use by a far broader selection of worldwide riders.

As easy as it is put down flying sleeping bags eith the negativity of a hater, it has been great to see their main user base has not transitioned at all into wing foiling that is far more complex, expensive and boring.
These users thanked the author longwhitecloud for the post (total 2):
khaakon (Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:41 pm) • Gestalt (Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:06 am)
Rating: 13.33%

airsail
Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby airsail » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:17 pm

We have a local big air contest run locally each year, this year will be it’s 3rd year. There is talk of banning foil kites, they have won both previous years and the LEI users aren’t happy.

Entry numbers are not what they were this year as LEI riders ask themselves why bother.
We aren’t in a place known for strong wind, foil kites have an unfair advantage here.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:01 pm

We win !!!!
Overwhelming majority of people love using pumps

Saw a guy out on a ram air yesterday
It looked so out of place in the ocean waves

One pump-less lonely soul !!
These users thanked the author PullStrings for the post:
Pump me up (Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:15 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: F-one Bandit 12 7m, 10m, Breeze 13m
Nomad Carbon C Wave 138cm
Has thanked: 0

Postby andylc » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:21 pm

That earlier photo looks like it should be in a ‘what happened next’ competition..

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:27 pm

Pump me up wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:11 pm
Politics seems to have reached a point that has nothing to do with facts and everything to do with stories. There’s no real middle position on offer. You simply choose which narrative suits you. And once you choose, no accommodation can be made – no conversation can even be had – with those who subscribe to the other one. The result is to replace a political culture of disagreement with a political culture of contempt. This applies to both the political left and right.

Unfortunately the same post-truth problems apply to ram air kites and their failures. The inferiority of ram airs makes contempt appealing. But this contempt inevitably spreads to ram lovers, not just their kites. The effect is a lack of accountability. Ram lovers can continue to fail at your local beach and cause more rescue call-outs and accidents, but the problems are consequence-free. Ram air failures are subsumed by a grander narrative of the witch-hunt against ram lovers. Notions of objective truth have been subsumed to a narrative of ram air persecution.

Persuasion and deliberation are possible if we agree that we’re starting from a loosely agreed set of facts, and that the other side is even worth engaging. Ram lovers have dismantled all of these things. It’s now “us vs. them” with no regard for kite performance facts.

The reason ram airs persist - the reason they still claim 4% of the market despite their inferiority, relates to narrative, not fact: a post-truth kite for a post-truth world.

:pump: Pumpy
This is so dull. Each to their own, end of.
These users thanked the author apollo4000 for the post:
khaakon (Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:42 pm)

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:24 am

Double the plastic fabric, 'double' the lines, double everything. And double the lifespan is just not true. There is ZERO riders on old foils at my local.

Zero.

Re. competing, its like you rock up with a dirt bike on a mountain bike comp. And they wonder why he is winning.

It is not just your own turf.

To be fair, Im glad that foils are so expensive. There would be hundreds 'anchored' in the ocean when dumped. People loosing lei kites every day. Imagine...
These users thanked the author downunder for the post:
Pump me up (Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:14 pm)

Carlos_C
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southend, Lancing, Hunstanton, sea Palling
Gear: Fuels, Speed 4, Sonic 2

Postby Carlos_C » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:33 pm

There is ZERO riders on old foils at my local.
Just like there is no-one on old Tubes......my 2006 foils still work fine - just newer ones have better performance.....just like inflatos

PinkNorthPride
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calshot
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Mauritius
Silver Sands Barbados
Nyali Kenya
Dougs the Gorge
Style: Lawn Mowing
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: North, Maybe Core next...
Has thanked: 0

Postby PinkNorthPride » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:01 pm

I could never really come to terms with having to fly them naked..
Attachments
nakedfoil.jpg
nakedfoil.jpg (86.98 KiB) Viewed 423 times

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.76m
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9076° W (UK South Coast)
Gear: Lieuwe Shotguns
Ozone Enduro V2s
Flite 14.5 Aluula
Duotone Fish

Postby iriejohn » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:16 pm

fluidity wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:55 am
:D Our belief systems are heavily shaped by our preferences for information intake.
For example I wear glasses and until I was aged 7 none in our family realised I had any sort of issue with distance vision.
Likely my intuition was a compensation by my brain to become more efficient at reconstructing missing information at the expense of becoming less efficient at processing the higher level of sensory input that most people get.
Many of the conspiracy theorys propagated on line rely on people's trust in their own visual input but with a little lessquality control checking than someone with my short sightedness can afford.
It's useful to note that all conspiracies come with conspiracy theories but not all conspiracy theories detail actual conspiracies.

Return to “Kitesurfing”