Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2021: King of the Air predictions

Forum for kitesurfers
User avatar
BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 635
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:22 pm
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 62 times

2021: King of the Air predictions

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:47 pm

Lets have a 2021: King of the Air thread, assuming it goes ahead.

1. Winner: I'm going on Liam Whaley, super stylish and goes massive with all the technical tricks out there. Also gotta fancy Jessie Richamn to retain his title.

2. One to Watch: Janek Grzegorzewski could beat anyone on his day.

3. One to make the Podium: Marc Jacobs. I think technical tricks will win this year, Marc has all the dangle passes, Kung-Fu and could probably land a KGB-Magaloop.
These users thanked the author BillyGoatGruff for the post:
a99 (Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:07 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

User avatar
dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 692
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:37 am
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
Crandon - Key Biscayne, FL
Sherman Island - Antioch, CA
Crissy Field - San Francisco, CA
Anne's Beach - Islamorada, FL
Curry Hammocks - Marathon, FL
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Main Beach - Langebaan, South Africa
Mui Ne Bay - Ham Tien, Vietnam
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: _
2019 Duotone Rebels 9m and 12m
2014 Best Breeze 145, 2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2016 Naish Hero 145
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com
Location: Maui, HI
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 16 times
Contact:

Re: 2021: King of the Air predictions

Postby dracop » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:56 pm

Doubt it will happen. ZA has been super slow to relax travel restrictions.

User avatar
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 41553
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 1:00 am
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.
Location: World (KF Admin)
Has thanked: 355 times
Been thanked: 787 times
Contact:

Re: 2021: King of the Air predictions

Postby Toby » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:03 pm

It will be Janek. 99%


These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
andrzej351 (Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:01 am)
Rating: 6.67%

Baptiste_FR
Frequent Poster
Posts: 213
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:20 am
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Normandy
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Rally (12-9-7m²)
Location: France
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: 2021: King of the Air predictions

Postby Baptiste_FR » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:33 pm

Well, Colin Colin Caroll has a video just about the subject !!

Kerplow
Medium Poster
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:27 am
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 67 Kg
Local Beach: EU
Style: Allrounder
Gear: Looking for a new quiver
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: 2021: King of the Air predictions

Postby Kerplow » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:04 am

Toby wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:03 pm
It will be Janek. 99%


I do like Janek and his style a lot, but there is no way for him to be Nr. 1 for a really simple reason - he has literally 0 unhook tricks in his arsenal. I know that its 70% about height, but last year judges were generous for riders without harnesses :D
Anyway, he probably will be a star of BAKL as Mike and himself basically owns it.

Cheers!

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 893
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:25 pm
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 93 times

Re: 2021: King of the Air predictions

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:51 am

I can't see Janek winning it as he doesn't have the competition craft YET. Look at Aaron's wins. If you watched his progress to the final you would never have guessed he was going to win. Each time it was just enough to go through as he kept his risk to a minimum. I can see Janek taking some big scalps though.

If it goes ahead, the winner might be determined by who can physically get out there to take part depending on the local lock downs. Could be a South African dominated competition (which probably would still be a good show) though I think Aaron and Lewis are out there at the moment.

Kerplow
Medium Poster
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:27 am
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 67 Kg
Local Beach: EU
Style: Allrounder
Gear: Looking for a new quiver
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: 2021: King of the Air predictions

Postby Kerplow » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:48 am

nothing2seehere wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:51 am
I can't see Janek winning it as he doesn't have the competition craft YET. Look at Aaron's wins. If you watched his progress to the final you would never have guessed he was going to win. Each time it was just enough to go through as he kept his risk to a minimum. I can see Janek taking some big scalps though.

If it goes ahead, the winner might be determined by who can physically get out there to take part depending on the local lock downs. Could be a South African dominated competition (which probably would still be a good show) though I think Aaron and Lewis are out there at the moment.
It's always funny when British think that everything British is the best. Flexifoil forever (RIP)! :D No offense ;)

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 893
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:25 pm
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 93 times

Re: 2021: King of the Air predictions

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:35 pm

Sorry. Was referring to riders I knew about as I don't know the other athletes as well.

Plenty of examples in other sports of young athletes with heaps of potential needing time to develop race-craft. Look at Nairo Quintana in his early career. Looked like he was streets ahead in terms of ability but took a couple of seasons to learn how to lead his team to get the top spots in the grand tours.

Anyway. Everything British is best. Its just we don't always put 100% effort into the result over the long term :D

P.S. you missed the bit about claiming credit for everything no matter how tenuous. Ozone. British designer. Definitely ours then 8)

Kerplow
Medium Poster
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:27 am
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 67 Kg
Local Beach: EU
Style: Allrounder
Gear: Looking for a new quiver
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: 2021: King of the Air predictions

Postby Kerplow » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:51 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:35 pm
Sorry. Was referring to riders I knew about as I don't know the other athletes as well.

Plenty of examples in other sports of young athletes with heaps of potential needing time to develop race-craft. Look at Nairo Quintana in his early career. Looked like he was streets ahead in terms of ability but took a couple of seasons to learn how to lead his team to get the top spots in the grand tours.

Anyway. Everything British is best. Its just we don't always put 100% effort into the result over the long term :D

P.S. you missed the bit about claiming credit for everything no matter how tenuous. Ozone. British designer. Definitely ours then 8)
Heheh, I guess every nation does that, just some of them communicate it louder :D

But back to the topic - my guess is Liam Whaley, although I still think F-one is the bottleneck for him :)

Allround waterman
Rare Poster
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:52 am
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 82kg
Local Beach: Workum, holland
Favorite Beaches: Capetown , Wijk aan Zee, Harlingen, Fuerte ventura
Style: Old school - freestyle - big air - Foil
Gear: Lieuwe carbonara and Fone Foil
Ozone Enduro - Alpha
Airush Union
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2021: King of the Air predictions

Postby Allround waterman » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:58 pm

I Hope Steven Akkersdijk. Only when he takes long lines and a XR6.
The style master for my home spot


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 65 guests