Gear: Switch Nitro 3 12m
Switch Nitro 6 8m
Switch Element 2 5m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Cabrinha Overdrive lines

Postby dswebb » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:39 pm

Hi,

Am in the market for a new bar and like the functionality of the modular overdrive setup but I can't seem to find any info on what lines they use. Does anyone know?

Cheers

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: Cabrinha Overdrive lines

Postby Cab Driver » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:00 pm

dswebb wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:39 pm
Hi,

Am in the market for a new bar and like the functionality of the modular overdrive setup but I can't seem to find any info on what lines they use. Does anyone know?

Cheers
Hey dswebb, do you mean line length? Line material?

dswebb
Rare Poster
Switch Nitro 6 8m
Switch Element 2 5m

Postby dswebb » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:04 pm

Cab Driver wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:00 pm
dswebb wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:39 pm
Hi,

Cheers
Hey dswebb, do you mean line length? Line material?
Line material, manufacturer if known. I know they use dyneema lines, would be good to know the breaking strength of them. Basically am weighing up the north navigator bar vs the overdrive bar, and the north bar I know has liros dc-0401 lines. Just trying to figure out what they are putting onto the Cabrinha bar. I do a lot of storm kiting and have eaten all the pies so want to know the relative benefits of the lines on their respective bars.

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Cab Driver » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:36 pm

At Cabrinha, we test numerous lines every year to improve on our current product. All lines are evaluated based on initial lab tests, then homologated for 100+hours on several sets and evaluated based on further lab test and visual inspection. We have not yet found a better performing line in terms of longevity, performance and hand feel. We use DSM Dyneema yarns to braid a high quality line from our long term European manufacturer. All lines have break loads in excess of 350kg and 0.7% elongation at 100kg with our in-house test, which cannot be used to directly compare with Liros lines. Liros does not specify a test standard, so their numbers cannot be used for comparison across brands /test labs.
These users thanked the author Cab Driver for the post:
zlatko23 (Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:48 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:20 pm

Cab Driver wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:36 pm
... All lines have break loads in excess of 350kg and 0.7% elongation at 100kg with our in-house test, which cannot be used to directly compare with Liros lines. Liros does not specify a test standard, so their numbers cannot be used for comparison across brands /test labs.
Solid point! Actually none of the kite line manufacturers or kite brands disclose their test standards and methods.

I've done some testing on a professional Instron tensile tester equipped for lines (thin ropes). I can quote the ISO standard and the exact test method specs if anyone is interested.

- DC-401 (SK99) breaking strength ~380 kg
- Cabrinha (SK75) breaking strength 460-490 kg.
The testing was done on the same machine within half an hour. Bedding in at 180kg. Raw line without loops/splices.

Elongation at break of DC-401 is slightly lower (better), but around the 100kg mark the elongation was pretty much the same.

Abrasion resistance of SK99 is by default lower than SK75 due to the much lower (2.2times) diameter of a single filament.
This is valid also for the 2 lines in question and was validated with line to line abrasion testing.
These users thanked the author nixmatters for the post:
zlatko23 (Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:14 am)
Rating: 3.03%

dswebb
Rare Poster
Switch Nitro 6 8m
Switch Element 2 5m

Postby dswebb » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:06 pm

perfect guys, thanks for the info! new cabrinha bar is on it's way now in time for the left overs of storm eta to hit us.

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Cab Driver » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:49 pm

dswebb wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:06 pm
perfect guys, thanks for the info! new cabrinha bar is on it's way now in time for the left overs of storm eta to hit us.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

peppedurso
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Sicily / Cape Town
Style: Wave Riding and Freestyle Strapless
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters
Appletree Malus Domestica 4'11 / Luke's Leaf 4'9 / Appleflap noseless 5'1
Brand Affiliation: Appletree/Cabrinha

Postby peppedurso » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:07 pm

Hi,

I’ve been using extensively cabrinha bar for the last 9 years and dc pro 401 in the last year. Wave riding and freestyle strapless, with obviously a lot of rotations and friction on the lower part of the lines. Cab lines stand wear way better than the other ones, literally another level. I actually need to put a cover over the worn out section or start to think to replace that section.

zlatko23
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 70
Favorite Beaches: Keros(Limnos)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter 5m², Ozone Enduro V3 7/11m²&V4 9m², CrazyFly Raptor LTD, Appletree Malus Domestica 5'1"

Postby zlatko23 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:17 am

I can second what peppedurso wrote above - been using Cabrinha bars last 5 years, past year added a bar with Liros dc-401 pro lines. I don't know what lines Cab is using and can not comment on their strength, but they withstand wear and tear better than the dc-401. Not saying Liros are bad, just they look worse with less use than Cab's.

Floating around
Medium Poster
Weight: 82kg
Favorite Beaches: Lake Garda
Style: Lawn mower
Gear: Nobile infinity foil
Gong strutless
Flysurfer Peak 4
Groove Skate
Kauper Falcon
SAB foil

Postby Floating around » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:11 pm

nixmatters wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:20 pm
Cab Driver wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:36 pm
... All lines have break loads in excess of 350kg and 0.7% elongation at 100kg with our in-house test, which cannot be used to directly compare with Liros lines. Liros does not specify a test standard, so their numbers cannot be used for comparison across brands /test labs.
Solid point! Actually none of the kite line manufacturers or kite brands disclose their test standards and methods.

I've done some testing on a professional Instron tensile tester equipped for lines (thin ropes). I can quote the ISO standard and the exact test method specs if anyone is interested.

- DC-401 (SK99) breaking strength ~380 kg
- Cabrinha (SK75) breaking strength 460-490 kg.
The testing was done on the same machine within half an hour. Bedding in at 180kg. Raw line without loops/splices.

Elongation at break of DC-401 is slightly lower (better), but around the 100kg mark the elongation was pretty much the same.

Abrasion resistance of SK99 is by default lower than SK75 due to the much lower (2.2times) diameter of a single filament.
This is valid also for the 2 lines in question and was validated with line to line abrasion testing.
Sorry to drag this back to the top. Looking at lines and came across this post. From what I understand sk99 regardless of brand is significantly stronger than sk75? So for the cab lines to be that much stronger they had to be thicker? Not exactly a fair test. So does anyone know the diameter of the cab lines?
Just looked up the lidos book online, they have a SK75 line with a breaking of 500daN. Close enough to the cab number, it is 2.5mm dia!
Thanks.

Return to “Kitesurfing”