Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Core Sensor 3 Safety Issues (Core statement in initial post)

Forum for kitesurfers
kitetime
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: East Coast Australia
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Core Nexus 2 (8,10,12,15). F-One foil. Duotone Select TT.
Brand Affiliation: None

Core Sensor 3 Safety Issues (Core statement in initial post)

Postby kitetime » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:34 pm

Official Statement from Core:

We have received reports about wear on the Sensor 3 SSF-powerline and the Dyneema sleeve at the 'Y.' We take these reports seriously and are investigating these isolated cases. Given a large number of Sensor 3 Bars in regular and demanding use worldwide, there's been minimal feedback to date about wear on the powerline sleeve. However, we are talking to our line suppliers and will get to the bottom of this.

An excessively worn SSF powerline sleeve must be replaced immediately. We'll send affected customers a fully compatible and proven powerline set from the Sensor 2S free of charge. Replacement is easy with our step-by-step video instructions.

If you have a Sensor 3 and do not know if this applies to you, inspect your bar every time you lay out your lines. And if you find a worn line, sleeve, or component, then replace it immediately. Please contact your CORE dealer or CORE directly at international@corekites.com, and we will help you right away.

Also, please do not wash your lines and kites too often, as this will wash the coating off the lines and fabrics over time, which may cause accelerated wear and tear. Of course, you should always keep your equipment sand-free.

To all concerned, we apologize for the wear on your Sensor 3 bar. We will do our best to make it right.

I recently purchased new Core Nexus 2 Kites along with 3 other local kiters, with Sensor 3 control bars (2 Pro bars and 2 Base models). These have been purchased new in the past 4 months. We are average freestyle / surf riders, and are not overly hard on equipment.

The power lines have failed on all 4 bars. The failure starts within about 6 to 10 sessions.

The issue is at the Y. The lower power line initially frays its outer case where it slides through the metal rings. This is most likely exacerbated by sand from the beach.

Once the outer casing starts to fray, within 1 or 2 sessions it tears in half, leaving the bare centre line to slide across the rings.

The DANGER here is that once the outer case is torn like this, it bunches up and the steel rings will not slide over the outer case when engaging the safety. The kite will then NOT de-power, and not flag out. The issue can happen in the middle of a session without warning.

My own power line then failed completely, snapping with about 20 sessions of use, resulting in a self rescue.

The snapped line was replaced by the dealer however the outer casing has again frayed and torn in half with only 6 sessions on it.

I have contacted Core with details of the issue, however they have declined to admit there is an issue and have not responded to my second enquiry.

If you are using the new Sensor 3 Bar, check it before each session and Test your de-power regularly if the power line looks frayed.

Needless to say I am extremely disappointed. This is not cheap equipment and proper testing should have been carried out before release, especially issues that render the safety system useless.

I have attached photos.
lines1.jpg
lines2.jpg
lines3.jpg
These users thanked the author kitetime for the post (total 6):
Havre (Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:30 am) • zlatko23 (Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:36 am) • Tridacna (Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:49 pm) • notamondayperson (Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:46 pm) • Deaimel (Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:16 am) • Guigassa (Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:00 am)
Rating: 18.18%

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Re: Core Sensor 3 Safety Issues

Postby deniska » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:54 am

This is not a new issue.. was there with sensor2.
Definitely was discussed here before.
I really do not see the reasoning for placing this critical moving part so far up.
Pretty much everyone else does it the right way: depower slider block (not a tiny ring) AND close to rider.
Being a high Y is not an excuse. Look at DUO trust bar.
Why does it need to be close? Easy to inspect and clean before and after launch (just splash some water on it if sandy, once you get on the water)
With CORE setup you basically need to dunk the kite in to water to clean it, every time you start..
Everything in the CORE design, suggests that sand was not a big consideration.. I guess they mostly rig on a grass..
The bar easily jams in 3 different places..
just do yourself a favor and get another high Y bar to fly your COREs.. Duotone '20 trust bar is about 200 cheaper and while not perfect, does not have half of the problems of sensor.. (don't get me started about PU covered lines that break w/o warning)...

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:28 am

Thanks for posting this, I have 4 sessions on my new Sensor 3+ bar and will monitor this line for wear.
How did you resolve this issue?

BalsaMichel
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: FS Soul 2 8m + 10m, CAB Fusion DA foil, backyard built split-TTs, skimboards and foilboards

Postby BalsaMichel » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:21 am

Somehow the rings do not look really healthy on the pictures. Do they have a rough surface where the rope slides over them?? :o

Micha

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:27 am

yeah, in the first pic the rings show excessive wear, just wonder how this can happen after 6 sessions?!? But anyways, that's the reason for fraying.
These users thanked the author omg for the post:
BalsaMichel (Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:37 am)
Rating: 3.03%

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:42 am

I hope this is not some shitty smear campaign as we have person with 1 post joining. There are loads of other people who must had more sessions with Sensor 3 bar. Does any else seen problems there?

zloilyoha
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skadovsk
Favorite Beaches: Karzhyny Skadovsk, Cape Town SA
Style: free
Gear: slingshot, ozone, core

Postby zloilyoha » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:47 am

there was a video with Steven where he explained the production delays by lacking of the materials from suppliers. maybe some materials Core found are just not right? that's not excuses the Core though

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:51 am

SolarSet wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:42 am
I hope this is not some shitty smear campaign as we have person with 1 post joining. There are loads of other people who must had more sessions with Sensor 3 bar. Does any else seen problems there?
No. I don't see the problem. You believe someone would join a forum like this and post something like that to smear Core for whatever reason? How many people do you think that were planning to buy Core will now not do it? 2? Seems like a proper waste of time if that was the motivation.

Also - this is one observation from one person. I would never buy or not buy anything based on one observation from one person. But I will certainly follow this topic with interest.

As for sample size. It seems to me that Sensor 3 is still not in wide use. A place like King of Watersports still haven't been able to supply Sensor 3. I know other places are selling them of course, but I would be surprised if the number or people that have used it for many sessions, and are either active members here - or potential active members, is very high.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
zlatko23 (Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:05 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:21 am

Nr Posts - x1 - (potentially) nothing to see here.

As noted, it would be interesting to hear from other Sensor 3 users - but despite the potential vagaries of the original post, it highlights the importance of keeping & regularly cleaning out sand from kit - make sure it's all thoroughly rinsed off to avoid issues - in the past I noticed the bridle attachment pullies on kites were looking a bit salted up & used a mug of Coke to clean them - also on attaching bridles, try to flick the sand off the attachment points.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:32 am

TheRussian wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:21 am
Nr Posts - x1 - (potentially) nothing to see here.

As noted, it would be interesting to hear from other Sensor 3 users - but despite the potential vagaries of the original post, it highlights the importance of keeping & regularly cleaning out sand from kit - make sure it's all thoroughly rinsed off to avoid issues - in the past I noticed the bridle attachment pullies on kites were looking a bit salted up & used a mug of Coke to clean them - also on attaching bridles, try to flick the sand off the attachment points.
I'm careful with my equipment, but how would I be able to "clean" that part of the equipment? After the session for sure, but not exactly the easiest spot to get rid of any sand if you are preparing your lines on a beach.

It might be a random small production error or whatever. It happens to the best of them, but if it wasn't - and this is a real issue from a honest poster - then we have a problem in my opinion. A problem that can't be solved by just expecting users to make sure there isn't any sand stuck after having launched the kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”