Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 64
Local Beach: Hayling Island, UK.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Eleveight RS V4 (8/10/12)
Brand Affiliation: None

Buying a kite + bar setup from a direct to consumer manufacturer in Europe

Postby BenS » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:00 pm

I'm looking to get back into kiteboarding after a seven year hiatus - I had lessons back in 2010 and then spent a few years enjoying the sport before I became a parent and had too little time. The kids are now at school and I have flexibility with work so I could kite during the week if there's wind. I was hoping to pick it up earlier this year, but Covid-19 came along. Previously I owned a Cabrinha Switchblade 9m and Best Kahoona 11.5m which covered the wind conditions at my local spot in the UK (15 - 25 knots) for my weight (64 kg). I'm after a kite for twintip riding, mostly flat water but keen to try some strapless wave riding in the future.

I've collated the following list of kite brands selling direct based in Europe, detailing the price in EUR for a 9 metre kite and bar setup. Of these, Ventum and Takoon look to be the better options in my limited opinion.

Decathlon
- ORAO "W" Crossover 9m (€750) + HQ4 "One Bar" (€329) = €1,079.00

Gong
- Gong Freewave 9m (€519) + Gong Bar (€299) = €768.00
Includes 15% discount for combined kite and bar orders.

Kauper XT
- Kauper Maverick 9m (€699) + Pintxo Bar (€699) = €1,098.00

KSP
- KSP Phantom 8.5m (€595) + KSP Bar (€280) = €875.00

Spleene
- Spleene QX-II 9m (€876.33) + X-Bar 52 (€424.03) = €1,217.51
Includes 19.5% discount on bar when ordered with a kite.

Storm
- Storm Vortex 9m (€750) + Storm Bar (€390) = €990.00
Includes €150 discount for combined kite and bar orders.

Takoon
- Takoon Furia V2 9m (€829) + Sweet bar (€349) = €1,178.00

Ventum Kiteboarding
- Ventum Xplore 9m (€795) + Tough V2 bar (€414) = €1,096.19
Includes €8.09 shipping and 10% discount (€120.90) for combined kite and bar orders.

The prices listed above are around €1,000 for the kite and bar setup, which compares favourably to the main kite brands. For comparison the Duotone Evo 9m (€1,439) + Trust Control bar (€538) = €1,977 which is almost double the price of a direct to consumer manufacturer. Is the additional cost worth it? Or should I find a discounted kite from one of the main brands, such as during an end of season sale or Black Friday discount? I've been looking at second hand kites for sale, but there aren't too many that are less than a few years old. I am more than happy to support the smaller kite brands and not concerned with resale value.

Any recommendations from the list above, other options to consider, or for any to avoid would be much appreciated. I imagine (and hope) the tech has improved somewhat from the 2010 era!

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Re: Buying a kite + bar setup from a direct to consumer manufacturer in Europe

Postby Foil » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:04 am

I recommend you take that list to a great shop in the UK.
Like Mark the owner at Boardworx at Whitstable and ask him to try and match it, he has ways to find top gear at discount prices, maybe last season's or just overstocks that brands want to clear, or even hardly used gear from guys who give in after a few goes and sell back to Mark, much better to have the backing and relationship of a top notch dealer with shop and top reputation for doing the right thing👍

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:18 am

Foil wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:04 am
I recommend you take that list to a great shop in the UK.
Like Mark the owner at Boardworx at Whitstable and ask him to try and match it, he has ways to find top gear at discount prices, maybe last season's or just overstocks that brands want to clear, or even hardly used gear from guys who give in after a few goes and sell back to Mark, much better to have the backing and relationship of a top notch dealer with shop and top reputation for doing the right thing👍
Why is it better?

I will never understand the distribution channels for kites. You are just adding one more layer of costs.

I would have loved it if someone like Duotone went Tesla. We would see a significant drop in prices all over.

I can't even remember the last time I physically went in to a shop to buy anything expensive. Even my car I bought without even talking to anyone on the phone. Only guy I met was the truck driver bringing it.

As for advice on which kite I don't know any of them I'm afraid. And you can get solid deals these days through retailers as well. King of watersports are currently discounting RRD heavily. As an example (not sure how many sizes etc they got left).
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
rw30 (Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:37 am)
Rating: 3.03%

BenS
Rare Poster

Postby BenS » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:44 am

Foil wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:04 am
I recommend you take that list to a great shop in the UK
That’s a good suggestion. The closest kite shop is at Hayling Island and they also offer lessons. I was thinking about taking a refresher lesson, so could have a chat about kit at the same time.

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Postby mar menor » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:54 am

Tried the Ventum ,explore and Tough bar V2,on TT ,strapless surfboard and hydrofoil .It was a 7m and I was super impressed with it .Also build quality and value for money are great.On caveat,for foiling the 7m was fine as most 3 strut kites would work.,however I would not use a bigger size(for foiling ) as too heavy.The weight is a reflection of the bomb proof construction which is good for TT/surfboard. The 9m was great on the surfboard and 12 m (excite) good on the TT.
One thing to bear in mind is with lesser known brands they do not (generally) hold s/hand value like a 'big' brand.
Would I buy them...yes (but not for foiling) but for anything else absolutely
These users thanked the author mar menor for the post:
BenS (Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:09 am)

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:46 pm

S2as also doing really cheap bargains on ocean rodeo which is good quality and well known kit if he had any left. Nearly 50% off.
These users thanked the author Ice101 for the post:
iriejohn (Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:54 pm)

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:20 pm

There is nothing wrong with most of the low cost direct distribution brands but the resale value will be lower and they will be hard to sell if you don't like your kite.

Getting a new kite from the season before or a barely used one from one of the top brands will guarantee a better resale value and a proven product since they are probably very popular for a reason.

If you have the opportunity to try the kite from the low cost company and you are sure you will be keeping it a long time then go for it!

BenS
Rare Poster

Postby BenS » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:27 pm

Windigo1 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:20 pm
There is nothing wrong with most of the low cost direct distribution brands but the resale value will be lower and they will be hard to sell if you don't like your kite.
Resale value is interesting because the difference in purchase price may make up for a lower second-hand sale.

Here's an example using the Duotone Evo 9m which I could buy new for €1,400 (kite only). Assume I could later sell it second-hand at a 25% discount (€1,050) that would mean a loss of €350. Compare to a Ventum Xplore 9m which costs €795 new, if I sold it at a larger 50% discount (€397.50) then I would lose €397.50. That's roughly a €50 difference in losses between the main brand and direct to consumer. Not a significant difference. But with the cheaper kite brand I could buy a two kite quiver and bar (€1,800) for the same cost as a single kite and bar setup from a mainstream brand.

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Postby mar menor » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:14 pm

Generally the' 'hit' you will take on a new kite will be much more than 25%. Think most will not pay 1000£/euros for something 'second hand' ,even if it is like new,people would wait for later but new model. Modern kites last for ages if looked after ,most people change because they WANT to to be on the latest model not because they NEED to (myself included)
Has there been a real innovation in tube kites for the last 10 years? (apart from Aluula) I have a 2013 Ozone Catalyst and it is still in really good condition and flies great.Is my much newer Ozone Enduro that much better than it?.... in all honesty no.
Can be a problem finding second hand in great condition,bit of a risk, buying a new kite ,like the Ventum isn't.
Last edited by mar menor on Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author mar menor for the post (total 2):
BenBen (Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:13 pm) • Flyboy (Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:42 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:54 am

Superiority of "premium" brands is a myth. The direct 21st century sales model has been there for decade and a half since Best Kiteboarding, and their kites were proven as good as the competitive brands sold in stores. It is remarkable, that since then no other direct brand emerged taking significant share of the market. Otherwise, there would be a clear leader, and the OP wouldn't have to compile the decision list like the one in the beginning of the thread.

Return to “Kitesurfing”