Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Nobile
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

leading edge repair

Postby artvandalay » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:59 am

Anyone have any good links or videos for his type of repair? Small tear in my leading edge. I don't know how to sew. Need a detailed video on how to open up leading edge, apply adhesive dacron, and then hand stich the edges of the patch. Also have to re-sew the leading edge.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Mike.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Re: leading edge repair

Postby tegirinenashi » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:39 pm

For small tear you don't have to sew. Just insert oversized dacron patch into the hole and apply glue into the gap, press, cure. Then a patch of sticky sail repair tape on top. That's right: non-adhesive dacron is easier to insert inside the leading edge -- the adhesive one would stick prematurely making a wrinkled mess.

The story is different for large tears. For those, the opening allows you to hand sew around the the most of the hole border. The relatively small remaining gap can be sealed as described in the above paragraph.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 190lb
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12
Long Ocean 136, Cyclone 138, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:34 am

You can often do a reasonable sewing job without opening up the leading edge (which is a pain and you have to resew it perfectly to maintain strength). Shake the leading edge so the bladder drops down by gravity and check by rubbing the two sides of the leading edge against each other with finger and thumb. If you still have bladder between the rubbing will be "smooth". if you have succeeded in getting the bladder out of the way it will be "rough". Use polyester thread or as last resort I use dental floss. The sewing does not have to be professional, it just needs to prevent the edges of the sticky dacron patch from lifting up. This is only good for a kite you are not looking to sell one day, otherwise you need a professional repair.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:40 am

If it's your first time repair, I would remove the half of leading edge bladder in order not to risk puncturing it.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:20 am

tegirinenashi wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:39 pm
....Then a patch of sticky sail repair tape on top. ....
Sail repair tape does not stick to Dacron. You need to use "Insignia" or "mark cloth" tape. Apply it smoothly and heat the glue with a hair dryer to set it.

Definitely pull the bladder out. It makes a lot more room to work and reduces the risk of damaging the bladder. Here's a good video on how to do that.

I would try and pull the torn section out through the zipper. If you can get it out and lay it flat and apply the tape smoothly that would be better than trying to apply fabric and glue from the inside.

If you can't get the leading edge inside out then open the seam so you can lay it out flat.

To resew the leading edge use polyester thread. Upholstery thread is ok. Sail making thread it better. It's called "bonded polyester". Sew in and out using the existing holes. Sew one way, then back the other way so that you have neat stitches on both sides.

You can hand sew the patch the same way. I don't know if your tear needs sewing. You'll have to work that out for yourself. I suspect it will if it's of any size. Canopy tears don't need sewing but the leading edge stretches under pressure.

Return to “Kitesurfing”