Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Self-landing with a high-y profil bar (Core sensor for ex.)

Forum for kitesurfers
Tridacna
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Le Crotoy
Favorite Beaches: Fort Mahon, Le Crotoy, Leffrinckoucke, Wissant, Wimereux
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core Nexus 7m / Core XR6 9m / Switch Element 6 12m / Core XR6 15m
Duotone Select 138cm / Nobile NHP Split 134 / Takoon Lux 130
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Self-landing with a high-y profil bar (Core sensor for ex.)

Postby Tridacna » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:58 pm

Hi,

Just sharing an experience I had and the question it raised in my mind after it : how to self land with an high-y profil bar ?

I use a high-y line profil bar (core sensor 2S)

I usually use a kitehook to self-land, when I cannot be assisted.

During my last session, my kite was rolled into the wave. My lines where tangled. I was not able to untangle it while flying the kite. When I got back to the shore, with the strong current, I couldn't get any assistance. I was not able to self land.

I ended up using the QR with my kite oriented toward the sea. (Wind was sideshore). Once the first safety system released, the kite did not depower (probably because of tangled lines ?) and I had to use the safety leash... I was lucky to get back my kite after walking along the beach and following the current.

Do you have any advice ?

Best

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Re: Self-landing with a high-y profil bar (Core sensor for ex.)

Postby deniska » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:17 am

If you can’t use the anchor method. Second best is to park a kite sitting on a side, unhook holding centerlines and walk towards the kite pulling center lines at the same pace until you reach the split. Then pull the top center line to lay the kite down. Obviously it is not great for overpowered situations.
These users thanked the author deniska for the post (total 2):
Tridacna (Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:09 pm) • tkachuk (Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:11 pm)
Rating: 13.33%

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:20 am

deniska wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:17 am
If you can’t use the anchor method. Second best is to park a kite sitting on a side, unhook holding centerlines and walk towards the kite pulling center lines at the same pace until you reach the split. Then pull the top center line to lay the kite down. Obviously it is not great for overpowered situations.
I'll add, walk upwind then towards the kite, and pull the line down to the ground and keep it low...
These users thanked the author Kamikuza for the post:
Tridacna (Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:10 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:18 am

Walk the lines as described above. Probably only talking walking ~ 3m upwind and 1.5m towards the kite for the initial park then go a little more upwind as you walk the lines. Depends a little on kite and conditions and kite/trim so first practice in lightish steady conditions. Then when well powered practice finding the best parked position by taking a break during your session by trimming in and finding that parked position, and leaving it there for a breather, hands free. Study the top of the canopy watching for luffs, shift your position if required. To release the kite walk backwards away from the kite to retention the bottom front line and a little down wind, the kite will then launch with just a tug of the top rear leader without the LE scraping accross the sand.

PS unless you are experienced, if you are in the shallows and your kite is tumbled in the waves flag out and put the kite on the beach. Sort the lines out then relaunch. It is NOT WORTH THE RISK of relaunch until you have checked your lines imho!!!
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
Tridacna (Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:14 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Return to “Kitesurfing”