Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite Game

Forum for kitesurfers
a-k-m
Rare Poster
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:51 pm
Kiting since: 2007
Gear: Flexifoil Hadlow Pro 7, 9, 11
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Kite Game

Postby a-k-m » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:38 pm

Hello everyone,

some year ago I started developing a kite game.
Unfortunately, I stopped that project many times. Now due to Corona I got back at it and I believe that this time I am able to finish it.

So, here's a wip video of the game:





More content on the facebook page and in the youtube channel:
https://www.facebook.com/Sideways-GameS ... 2374707941

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1x1DL ... G9QbMJz99g

Hope you like it :)

Image
These users thanked the author a-k-m for the post:
SENDIT! (Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:15 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

User avatar
JakeFarley
Frequent Poster
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:54 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip, custom 140 x 50 strapless twintip/skim
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Pearl City
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Kite Game

Postby JakeFarley » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:16 am

Wii has a kite game which I played a couple of times but it got boring quick as it was not realistic. After you perfect the beta version, you could add different parameters such as weight, skill level, wind speeds, kite size selection, board selection (twintip, surfboard, hydrofoil), water conditions (waves, flat water, chop), different locations (real locations). Also, if you crash, you use up some of your life (energy) and if you hit any hard object you use up one of your lives until it's game over...
Just some of my thoughts. :cool2:

a-k-m
Rare Poster
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:51 pm
Kiting since: 2007
Gear: Flexifoil Hadlow Pro 7, 9, 11
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Kite Game

Postby a-k-m » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:38 pm

JakeFarley wrote: Wii has a kite game which I played a couple of times but it got boring quick as it was not realistic. After you perfect the beta version, you could add different parameters such as weight, skill level, wind speeds, kite size selection, board selection (twintip, surfboard, hydrofoil), water conditions (waves, flat water, chop), different locations (real locations). Also, if you crash, you use up some of your life (energy) and if you hit any hard object you use up one of your lives until it's game over...
Just some of my thoughts. :cool2:
Never played it on the Wii..
But those are some nice ideas. Some of them are already kind of implemented.
For example there is wind strength and depending how much wind there is, the kite becomes way quicker in turning and movement (which corresponds to smaller kite sizes). I only need to represent that with smaller/bigger kites.
Unhooking and wakestyle is already possible. Also at the moment I am implementing some big waves as well.
I like that idea of the life/energy. I already thought about implementing some kind of "adventure" mode in which it would fit well.

Regarding the real life locations, I started trying to replicate one but honestly, those are kind of boring. So I decided to go by theme (frosty, tropical, mediterranean, etc)
I have three maps already (caribean, frosty and a lake - but all not finished yet)
Here is an old short clip of the frosty environment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt4sCjqUd4k

Thanks for the feedback :)

nherbold
Medium Poster
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:31 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Buck Island, Long Bay East, Nanny Cay, Anegada, all in the British Virgin Islands
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Scheveningen, Holland
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Hape Hatteras, North Carolina
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...next ONKiteboarding?
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Kite Game

Postby nherbold » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:43 pm

JakeFarley wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:16 am
Wii has a kite game which I played a couple of times but it got boring quick as it was not realistic. After you perfect the beta version, you could add different parameters such as weight, skill level, wind speeds, kite size selection, board selection (twintip, surfboard, hydrofoil), water conditions (waves, flat water, chop), different locations (real locations). Also, if you crash, you use up some of your life (energy) and if you hit any hard object you use up one of your lives until it's game over...
Just some of my thoughts. :cool2:
Maybe also take one aspect of the game for(strapless) surfboards in surf?

User avatar
JakeFarley
Frequent Poster
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:54 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip, custom 140 x 50 strapless twintip/skim
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Pearl City
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Kite Game

Postby JakeFarley » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:32 pm

Also, being separated from board and having to body drag back to it before the sharks get to you.... :D
These users thanked the author JakeFarley for the post:
rw30 (Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:23 am)
Rating: 6.67%

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:42 pm
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world
Has thanked: 141 times
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: Kite Game

Postby Matteo V » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:48 pm

JakeFarley wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:32 pm
Also, being separated from board and having to body drag back to it before the sharks get to you.... :D
Heck, make it start with a trainer kite, then progress to
small depower kite, then body drag, then full sized kite, with an emphasis on realistic sailing skills so that it could be used as a prelesson tool too.

A different success rate on starboard vs port tack would be cool too. But snowkiting would be the best! Maybe it would keep me same for the 6months a year I kite on flat water.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 872
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:25 pm
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 88 times

Re: Kite Game

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:41 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:48 pm
JakeFarley wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:32 pm
Also, being separated from board and having to body drag back to it before the sharks get to you.... :D
Heck, make it start with a trainer kite, then progress to
small depower kite, then body drag, then full sized kite, with an emphasis on realistic sailing skills so that it could be used as a prelesson tool too.
Nooooo! Keep it like Tony Hawk's skating where you can do all the moves to start with, they just get easier as you build skill points

a-k-m
Rare Poster
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:51 pm
Kiting since: 2007
Gear: Flexifoil Hadlow Pro 7, 9, 11
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Kite Game

Postby a-k-m » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:43 pm

Yeah, I think I'm not going to include bodydragging. You can crash, you lose the board, but then you respawn.
I will keep it arcadish, so not going fully arcade but also not trying to be a simulation.
First of all, it is supposed be fun. In games, replicating too much reality can take out the fun out of it.
So, I think I found the right balance with which I'm happy with :)

But I like the idea of snow-/landkiting, since I also do kite on all terrains.
And the player is already able to kite terrain with the current setup. Only the models would have to be replaced...

Kitedicted
Medium Poster
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:14 pm
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Naish Pivot 9, 11m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Kite Game

Postby Kitedicted » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:51 pm

I want to play it


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 118 guests