Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hand numbness at night after big sessions?

Forum for kitesurfers
Wolkster
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Galveston, Tx
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach, Maui
Hood River, Oregon
Tariff, Spain
Style: Free rider
Gear: Naish, Crazy Fly, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Hand numbness at night after big sessions?

Postby Wolkster » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:53 pm

Hey Folks,

Anyone else notice hand/arm numbness while sleeping after a long powered sessions?
I will go to bed super exhausted expecting to sleep hard but end up waking up with my arms "asleep".
Laying on my back with arms over my head or on my stomach (no pillow) seem to be common culprits.

Anyways, figured not a big deal until a couple of weeks ago the numbness in my left hand has remained in my thumb\index\middle finger tips.
Took some big crashes the day before, maybe little whiplash and one wipeout with left arm extended shoulder felt a little tweaked.

I have experienced numbness in the hands mountain biking on long rides with no breaks and shaking them out seems to get the blood flowing again.

Search did not pull up anything to similar except CTS, so I though I would ask.

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Re: Hand numbness at night after big sessions?

Postby Kristan » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:57 pm

Might not be exactly blood flow issues, but mostly when limb is getting numb during sleep that is because of nerves being pinched or twisted. Maybe some swelling pinches your nerves, idk. But you better take that into consideration.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:14 pm

Had it happen about three times to me in the last 15 years. Just about always went away in 3 to 9 months. And when it went away, both the asleep thing while riding, along with sleeping after a session went away.

Smart bet would be to at least talk to a doctor, especially if you're somewhere where it doesn't cost you anything to do so. That said, it seems like at least in my case it was not a permanent issue, though who knows in the long run. But currently I am not having any issues. About 6 months ago, it was the worst it had been ever for both sleeping and riding.

yzbob
Medium Poster
Gear: Mixed

Postby yzbob » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:29 pm

I suffered from various issues like this for a year or 2 after I herniated a disc in my neck. physio, strength training, more careful & less kiting, haven't experienced it in about the last 2yrs. As far as I can tell i'm back to 100% now.

definitely worth a doctors appointment in my opinion.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:44 am

yzbob wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:29 pm
I suffered from various issues like this for a year or 2 after I herniated a disc in my neck. physio, strength training, more careful & less kiting, haven't experienced it in about the last 2yrs. As far as I can tell i'm back to 100% now.

definitely worth a doctors appointment in my opinion.
Good example of back pain radiating out, and I had the same problem with a disc and I could only feel it in my hip. Arm stuff is usually from a disc in the neck, I think. If you can, go to a Neurologist since nerves are their specialty.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:08 am

Well lets not get carried away and diagnose this guy with a cervical disk herniation over the internet!

Could be as simple as super pumped scalenes pressuring the brachial plexus (jacked muscles pinching nerves to the arm)

Riding technique, sleep posture, weekend warrior syndrome, or any combination are potential causes.

Then again, it could be cancer!

See someone about it. Loads of different practitioners can figure it out for you and chart you a course toward a solution.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
knotwindy (Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:42 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Wolkster
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Galveston, Tx
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach, Maui
Hood River, Oregon
Tariff, Spain
Style: Free rider
Gear: Naish, Crazy Fly, Core

Postby Wolkster » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:28 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:08 am
Well lets not get carried away and diagnose this guy with a cervical disk herniation over the internet!

Could be as simple as super pumped scalenes pressuring the brachial plexus (jacked muscles pinching nerves to the arm)

Riding technique, sleep posture, weekend warrior syndrome, or any combination are potential causes.

Then again, it could be cancer!

See someone about it. Loads of different practitioners can figure it out for you and chart you a course toward a solution.
Thanks for alternate diagnoses, agreed weekend warrior and age probably the root cause of this injury. Trying to learn new tricks with the young guys, leads to some spectacular wipeouts and so with it some pain.

Okkiteboarder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I kite in Oklahoma at Lake Keystone, Hefner, and Eufaula Lake
Favorite Beaches: My favorite beaches are: Maui, Cozumel, St. Pete, and home in Oklahoma
Style: Kite Foil and Wingfoil
Gear: Flysurfer, Delta Foils, FOne, jAxis, and Duotone

Postby Okkiteboarder » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:12 am

Stop sleeping with your hands over your head. It’s thoracic outlet impingement. It’s positional. Sleep with arms down 👍

Red Pointer
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Red Point,Basin Head, Souris Beach,
Favorite Beaches: Souris Beach,Hatteras, Caberette,Malpeque PEI
Style: Slash and bash
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby Red Pointer » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:39 am

I have had the same problem from time to time and when it gets nasty I wear wrist braces at night to keep wrist straight.Problem solved.Pick them up at the Pharmacy,used for carpal tunnel. D@ve

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:35 pm

I have no idea how you would get that kiting, but very common issue for cyclists. If your weight is tilting forward and you carry too much load on your hands many will suffer from "ulnar tunnel syndrome".

Could there be a nerve somewhere that gets pinched while kiting? I guess so.

And as for ulnar tunnel syndrome it might not be that noticeable before after the activity.

Maybe you are grabbing the bar in a way that puts pressure somewhere in your palm? I basically only use my fingers so the only thing I suffer from is my grip getting tired - especially if it is cold and I haven't kited for awhile (or lifted weights now that the crazy is dictating what can and cannot be done in Norway).

Return to “Kitesurfing”