edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

how to self land using the lower center line method

Postby edt » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:54 pm

These users thanked the author edt for the post (total 15):
jmach (Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:36 pm) • Hugh2 (Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:45 pm) • Havre (Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:53 pm) • FLandOBX (Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:38 pm) • Mike101 (Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:19 am) • Steve271 (Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:27 am) • loco4viento (Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:37 am) • Delta99 (Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:41 am) • tomato (Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:04 pm) • mr-markus (Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:30 pm) and 5 more users
Rating: 45.45%

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: how to self land using the lower center line method

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:45 pm

Much better than the videos like this that are done in 5mph winds, plus good of you to say that above 30 best just release to safety.
These users thanked the author Hugh2 for the post:
edt (Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:48 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:54 pm

Nice demo Edt. I have been using both front lines rather than just the lower as I like the way I can keep it pinned down with some top line pressure. Also you still have the opportunity to pull the kite over with the top line or just release to the bottom line if required. Having said that I have never tried using just the bottom line. I will have to give it a try to see if I like it better. Perhaps it’s simplicity is the ticket. Have you ever had a kite get airborne on the single lower front line in a similar way that kite will fly in the smiley position on a fifth?
Last edited by Herman on Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:04 pm

It can flip over to the other side of you don't walk upwind that's it. I don't like using using both centers as much because the kite pulls more than single lower line.
These users thanked the author edt for the post (total 2):
Herman (Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:23 pm) • nothing2seehere (Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:41 am)
Rating: 6.06%

mr-markus
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Netherlands Maasvlakte,Rockanje
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Ozone R1V3 19m,
Gin Spirit 15, Gin Spirit 12,Gin Instinct HB 10, Gin Spirit 10, Ten Velox 8m, Ten Velox 10m, Vantage Vulture 7, Moses Fluente, Crazy Fly Chill, Lieuwe Shotgun ,Flysurfer Radical 7 and lots and lots other things.
Brand Affiliation: myself

Postby mr-markus » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:31 pm

Yep, this is the way.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:21 pm

I tried this the other day and the kite did fly and flip over. A single strut slingshot ghost 4m on a sloped beach, from experience I know this is about the worst case situation for a single line landing and really light kites are hard to convince to land. I know it would do the same thing if the top line was used.

I thought I was enough upwind but perhaps not.

Great video thanks for sharing.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:27 pm

Well done using a 14 sqm in 20-23kn
Yes compared to pulling the top line only in high wind in order to yank the kite belly down and try to make it stick on LE it is better

Yes there will be less pull from the kite on its back with the lower line grab but you are only holding one line
Walking to kite in upright position holding both front lines will have more pull but then again you have more to grip on
So it is a wash in my opinion

Try your method but do not detach from chicken loop
Walk up to kite with the bar near your knees
Keep that bar clean and in working order

By detaching yourself completely you do not have access to your QR
If while walking a freak gust happened and you could not hold on to that single lower line you would have a runaway kite bye bye

Like @ herman said if you hold both lines you have 2 options if you decide to go single upper or single lower line to land at a moment's notice
With lower line only and no access to your QR you have one option and that's it.... instead of 3

I do not see the point of limiting your options

Congrats for being hardcore in that kind of cold weather and showing it done in real wind to the upper range of a 14m

30...35...40 knots do not necessarily mean you must QR to land
If you have the correct kite size for conditions you can still walk up both front lines to the kite
40kn=5 sqm
35kn=7m
30kn=9m

Thank you again for taking the time of making that real nice video

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:41 pm

I don't want to be attached to the kite if something goes wrong. Just let go and sew it up if it gets a tear. Of course make sure nobody is downwind of you before hand. Two center lines is fine too I just like lower center better. Below 20 knots I switch to upper center line but there are a million videos of that technique

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:36 pm

I do this all the time, including this morning. If it's under 20knots I usually just pull the front line to get it to fall leading edge down. When it's windy I use this technique:

Make sure your flag-out line is on the bottom when at the edge of the wind window (next to the ground), then release your safety and run backwards simultaneously. This will cause the kite to flag from the front line nearest the ground, making it flip up gently and sit in place. Then walk yourself to the kite with that line.

Occasionally it will bounce back in the window (powerless) if you don't run back enough. Never loops. I do this from 20knots and up.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:40 pm

Thanks edt
Quick story from yesterday not quite on topic but related to landing
Soft sandy beach surfboard wave sesh with a friend
Sun had just set and i went in first
Landed my 8m with my usual walk both front lines all the way to bridles then grabbed my LE in 31-34 knots staying hooked in CL
Put kite down then put bar on top of canopy and bit of sand to weigh down kite
All good

My friend comes in and i offer to catch his 9m which looks very maxed out
He said he is fine and wants to test landing himself by attaching chicken loop to a real heavy bag filled with sand

I said OK as i was close by starting to pack up

I see him start walking quickly the 24 meters towards the attached kite and when he got halfway the @ 50 pounds sandbag is sliding away
My friend looked stunned and in disbelief saying noooooooooooooooo !

Immediately i ran towards fast moving bag and jumped on it and it stopped
All good
Kite was on his way to someone's yard with cactuses and bayonet palms

In retrospect in that much wind that bag should have been buried in a deep hole and covered in sand in advance while doing the prep at launch
Also even fully depowered and the bar all the way out once hooked in the CL the back lines were not disabled/ slacked enough
Would have been better to have attached at a much higher point right above the depower cleat or near low V split
That would have really sagged the steering lines to the point that only the front lines have load on them creating a lot less pull from kite

Additionally the wind was side-on
My friend did not sandbag launch his kite on the water side but on the houses side which has less buffer zone
So he landed the same way
If he would have launched and landed on the water side the kite would have traveled towards the water which is much safer in high winds

Just wanted to share

It was a great 2 hrs session and treated myself to a drive-thru McD large fries to celebrate

Return to “Kitesurfing”