Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave
Brand Affiliation: None

Another UK Fatality

Postby UKSurf » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:06 pm

Some sad news that another Kitesurfer died in the UK in September:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-54295893

From what I understand the individual drowned in heavy surf after releasing his kite (10 foot waves). Some people who witnessed the event said he was wearing Boots which might have complicated the situation. I was caught in a rip tide not far from the location he was killed a few years back, wasnt entirely sure I was going to make it in and was totally exhausted when I eventually staggered onto the beach. Locations that are exposed to the full power of the ocean add a lot of extra dangers if you have to swim back in.

RIP
Last edited by UKSurf on Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
These users thanked the author UKSurf for the post:
a99 (Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:59 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Another UK Fatality

Postby Toby » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:12 pm

sad to hear My condolences.

I hope it does not lead to a ban during red flags or Covid times...the article pretty much underlines that...

RIP

nherbold
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Ilha do Guajiru, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...

Postby nherbold » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:23 pm

Toby wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:12 pm

I hope it does not lead to a ban during red flags or Covid times...the article pretty much underlines that...

RIP
Yeez Toby....you care about him dying BUT only if it doesn't impact the kiting community there. How about those people that have to go out and provide these rescues? Surely you can appreciate that any restrictions on watersports or any other activities that have heightened risk for a need to be rescued are not as important as an individual's need to do what he/she loves. Yes it sucks but then it also sucks when there is no wind so just suck it up.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:28 pm

nherbold wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:23 pm
Toby wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:12 pm

RIP
Yeez Toby....you care about him dying BUT only if it doesn't impact the kiting community there. How about those people that have to go out and provide these rescues? Surely you can appreciate that any restrictions on watersports or any other activities that have heightened risk for a need to be rescued are not as important as an individual's need to do what he/she loves. Yes it sucks but then it also sucks when there is no wind so just suck it up.
I think you might be taking what Toby said out of context slightly. It is unlikely to change anything in this part of the UK - unfortunately drowning in the seas off cornwall is not that uncommon, the ocean is exposed to the full power of the Atlantic. Kitesurfers, especially on twin tips are likely to find themselves in a very difficult position in heavy seas in a location like Cornwall if they cannot relaunch their kite. The rip tides and constant pounding of the waves will very quickly exhaust you. Kitesurfers or Windsurfers (unless they are also surfers or open ocean swimmers used to paddling about in this type of location) might not fully appreciate the full power of the ocean once you are in the water without windpower. Being on a surfboard to provide some floatation would certainly help if you have to release your kite. Wearing boots with a twintip (unless you can release them quickly while being tumbled by waves) should be avoided.
Last edited by UKSurf on Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:48 pm

Very sad & RIP.

As we know, 10ft faces at Watergate in the Winter is not particularly big & whilst 25 Sept was definitely windy, as far as I can see, it was not a named storm - there were reports (https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/20 ... n-cornwall) of seafoam in Porth that day & not sure if this was a factor at Watergate. But accidents sadly happen & mercifully there are relatively few that are serious.

+1 Boots in strong winds & waves needs to be carefully considered, but going out in strong winds/large sea state is likely to increase the severity of any accident.

SWO_kite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Belle River, Ontario, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Yes
Style: Foil/Freeride/Big air
Gear: 11m Reedin SM V2, 8m & 6m SS Raptor
128 Shinn Sunburner + 75 AL-mast + K wing
140 Best Spark, 133 Cabrinha Caliber

Postby SWO_kite » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:16 pm

UKSurf wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:06 pm
Some sad news that another Kitesurfer died in the UK in September:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-54295893

From what I understand the individual drowned in heavy surf after releasing his kite (10 foot waves). Some people who witnessed the event said he was wearing Boots which might have complicated the situation. I was caught in a rip tide not far from the location he was killed a few years back, wasnt entirely sure I was going to make it in and was totally exhausted when I eventually staggered onto the beach. Locations that are exposed to the full power of the ocean add a lot of extra dangers if you have to swim back in.

RIP
Do you guys kiting in the UK Atlantic generally wear PFD's?... I'm referring to the real one's, not an impact vest.

I kite in the great lakes in NA. I ALWAYS wear a bright yellow (kayaker) PFD. It definitely helped me the other day in 6ft shore break with my kite down and a blown bladder.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:29 pm

No have never seen anyone using one - But a different thread.

SWO_kite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Belle River, Ontario, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Yes
Style: Foil/Freeride/Big air
Gear: 11m Reedin SM V2, 8m & 6m SS Raptor
128 Shinn Sunburner + 75 AL-mast + K wing
140 Best Spark, 133 Cabrinha Caliber

Postby SWO_kite » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:51 pm

TheRussian wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:29 pm
No have never seen anyone using one - But a different thread.
I dunno, seems pretty relevant to me in this thread.

Perhaps the individual who lost their life could have benefited from the use of a PFD, if they weren't already wearing one. Stories like this are always a good time to talk about safety and preventative strategies - similar to you mentioning your comment about boots & waves.

Cheers :thumb:

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:15 pm

Rest In Peace to our kitesurfing brother, and condolences to all who knew him.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:51 am

Rip

Even an impact vest will help.

But it isnt guaranteed . We had a local kiter drown in fairly big surf. Was wearing a wetsuit and an impact vest.

I have lost my kite and board in big tropical surf.. no wetsuit.( which helps buoyancy). if this happens at the end of a session when tiered especially when nastyrips.. not fun. A few close shaves.

Some waist harnesses will float you so you almost dont need to swim but if you are getting drilled... nothing is going to bring you up faster than floatation volume.. hence why tow surfers now wear inflation wetsuits or an impact vest with a wetsuit over it.. then another impact vest on top.

But make sure the vest cannot catch on uour kite lines/ bar.

I have know impact vests to get ripped straight off too in fhe impact zone.

I think i would prefer vest.. no zips.. but dont really want to advise others on this as it is a bit of an unknown to me

Return to “Kitesurfing”