Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Need help with landing jumps (video)

Forum for kitesurfers
Philicious
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Gear: North NEO
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Need help with landing jumps (video)

Postby Philicious » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:10 am

The load and pop is important because it will make the kite pull you more vertically than horizontally/downwind. After I learned to load and pop I notices a big improvement in my jumps.

In your second and third jump of your latest video one can clearly see that you need to improve your stance. You still have a beginner's stance, aka "sitting on the toilet". Your upper body is bent over your knees too much. Lean back.
These users thanked the author Philicious for the post:
Indulang (Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:58 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

1234567Simon
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Freeride , and Wave kites

Postby 1234567Simon » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:17 am

Actually it looks super good (for 30kn with a five meter).

I learned with a 17m (only kite I had)
Then with a 12m
Then with a 9m
7 and 5 are pure Wave kites... it is so super difficult to create lift while going down...

Your not popping, but you are keeping the edge.
You sheet the bar in at the right moment.

My advice take a 12, practise popping, get rid of your electronic stuff. Make your stance wider - a lot wider.

Learn how and where to place the kite for landing.

And now, don’t get me wrong, on a three meter jump, don’t play a round with your bar. Keep it sheeted in until touch down.

And for landing practise kiteloops (at first not even jumping)... you will learn that going Full Speed down Wind is not scary.

Most important : wear a speedo unter the wetsuit.👍
These users thanked the author 1234567Simon for the post:
Indulang (Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:57 pm)

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:22 am

Popping:

Popping will only make you go much higher if you combine it with preloading, that is where you use the edging of the pop preparation to build line tension, not your worry at the moment. The popping you should be looking for at your stage is a controlled release, followed by rotating the board back downwind for a tail first landing. The other most important point of the popping at your stage is to kill most of the forward speed during the carve upwind. (Arguably you should be able to do an aerial transition on a 12m before you start jumping in 30 knots.) At the moment you are just using the kite to rip yourself off the water. If you don’t start sending the kite from too low down the carve into wind will kill forward speed without building line tension.

Kite pulling forward:

Yes it can be dangerous. At your stage you are looking for a mostly vertical pull. From the videos I suspect you are not that aware of where the kite is and how it is flying. You probably don’t even see it! I suggest you park your ass in the water with board on your feet. Then practice sending and redirecting whilst laying back watching the kite. Do it when underpowered to start with but still be prepared to be pulled up. Experiment with the sheeting and see what happens when you choke the kite.

Speed for landing:

Because there are so many variables in jumping it is easy to misinterpret advice. Forward speed makes it easier to ride out a landing in style providing you are in control of the board and the downward velocity is low. If it is going Pete Tong forward speed just adds to the pain. It is a good skill to be able to jump and land virtually stationary, with the kite in control so you could ride off either way - more easily done off a ramp imho.

PS it is not essential to be able to see the kite during a jump as it is mostly done by feel but being able to glance at it can be useful. Being able to look at the lines can also be useful imho while you are building the feel.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:09 am

as others said, dont beat yourself up, very few people have the skills to land soft on 5m kite, this would imply precisely timed heliloops.
unless you weight 40 kilos, you should be on a bigger kite in 30kts.. like for 80kg it's a 9m..
9m is the golden size, imho.. 7m and smaller starts dropping you like a rock if you don't dial the timing and don't fly the kite..

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 190lb
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12
Long Ocean 136, Cyclone 138, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:22 am

deniska wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:09 am
as others said, dont beat yourself up, very few people have the skills to land soft on 5m kite, this would imply precisely timed heliloops.
unless you weight 40 kilos, you should be on a bigger kite in 30kts.. like for 80kg it's a 9m..
9m is the golden size, imho.. 7m and smaller starts dropping you like a rock if you don't dial the timing and don't fly the kite..
Disagree a little.

First, you can land smoothly with a 5m, even from height and without doing loops. You just need to do a quick figure eight. That’s what I do in Cape Town when it blows above 30 knots and I have to go down to my 5.5m.

Second, I don’t think it reasonable to expect him to ride a 9m in 30 knots, I ride 7m for 25-30 knots and the landings are sweet. Sure the pros and big guys can handle 9m in 30 knots like the KOTA, but not me and definitely not a relative newbie to jumping.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:24 am

I have a different take on load and pop for boosting. I see that its important to learn because it gives you control of the direction and rotation within the jump. E.g. do you want to jump vertically and land back at the same spot for something like a transition jump or do you want to take off and land further along the same path perhaps to jump over something. Load and pop teaches you the control you need for this and also the control you need to avoid unwanted rotations during takeoff
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:34 am

Had another thought about your worry of the kite pulling you forward making you land fast. As previously I said it is because you are just getting the kite to rip you off the water. Think about your pop and send timing. You should remain in contact with the water until the kite has reached Z or my preference BZ at this point you should have carved into wind (which kills the forward speed) and sent the kite sheeted out to Z. It is at this point you stomp the back foot and sheet in for lift off. You should practice this with little sends to get your timing right. You can use this for hopping over white water etc. If you only jump 1m in these hops it does not even matter if your redirect finishes after landing.

Your forward speed is generated at take off not by the what you are doing once in the air!!!!!!!!!

PS once you have mastered this you can start edging harder while carving along with a longer and more powered send. Then once this is dialled you can reduce the amount of carving up into wind and start contemplating bunny hops and bum swings to edge even harder.................double movement, heliloop for landing.........and beyond..........
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:

Indulang
Rare Poster
Weight: 64kg
Local Beach: Taiwan
Style: Just fooling around
Gear: Duotone Rebel

Postby Indulang » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:05 pm

1234567Simon wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:17 am
My advice take a 12, practise popping, get rid of your electronic stuff. Make your stance wider - a lot wider.
What do you mean by wider stance? More space between left and right legs?
1234567Simon wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:17 am
Most important : wear a speedo unter the wetsuit.👍
Agree 100%. Will probably wear 2 speedos from now on :D

Indulang
Rare Poster

Postby Indulang » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:19 pm

Hugh2 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:22 am
First, you can land smoothly with a 5m, even from height and without doing loops. You just need to do a quick figure eight. That’s what I do in Cape Town when it blows above 30 knots and I have to go down to my 5.5m.
When exactly do you do this figure 8?
Hugh2 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:22 am
Second, I don’t think it reasonable to expect him to ride a 9m in 30 knots, I ride 7m for 25-30 knots and the landings are sweet. Sure the pros and big guys can handle 9m in 30 knots like the KOTA, but not me and definitely not a relative newbie to jumping.
Yeah, I'm 61-62kg and once tried an 8m on a 30kt day and it was totally out of control. And the worst part was trying to self land by walking the power lines. In Taiwan, we have extremely consistent and strong winds Oct-Mar, with 90% of the days blowing 25-40kts
Last edited by Indulang on Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indulang
Rare Poster

Postby Indulang » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:33 pm

Herman wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:34 am
Had another thought about your worry of the kite pulling you forward making you land fast. As previously I said it is because you are just getting the kite to rip you off the water. Think about your pop and send timing. You should remain in contact with the water until the kite has reached Z or my preference BZ at this point you should have carved into wind and sent the kite sheeted out. It is at this point you stomp the back foot and sheet in for lift off. You should practice this with little sends to get your timing right. You can use this for hopping over white water etc. If you only jump 1m in these hops it does not even matter if your redirect finishes after landing.

Your forward speed is generated at take off not by the what you are doing once in the air!!!!!!!!!
That's a good idea to practice with smaller sends. Thank you.

I tried popping (without sending the kite to 12) a few times but never really got the hang of it. I've seen a lot of youtube videos but that didn't help! It just seems the timing is very tricky with the pop

Return to “Kitesurfing”