Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite companies - please stop the Air Style / Big Air hype!

Forum for kitesurfers
mrandrewandrade
Rare Poster
Local Beach: In Canada: Long Beach, Long Point, Turkey Point, Nickle Beach, Sauble Beach Oliphant
In France: la nautique, leucate, VN
Favorite Beaches: La nautique in France
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switch Element, Nitro and Helium
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Kite companies - please stop the Air Style / Big Air hype!

Postby mrandrewandrade » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:16 pm

Sorry for the rant but companies need to stop marketing their new kites as dedicted height machines. This is causing unsafe riding to come to fashion and style (in the air), but none on the landing. See, large lofty jumps with massive hang time causes riders to drift downwind in the air uncontrolably and causes a danger to other riders and people in the area. I too am guilty of jumping too close to shore or going bigger than expected and end up nearly landing on someone. There have beeen many close calls at my local spot as well, people cutting in line which called for better ettiquete:

Big air/air style had other problems as well:

1. Board offs pose a risk of dropping a board and potentially injuring someone or something near the rider. Wake style boards with boots are safer since they are designed to stay on your feet, and higher rockered board are better for the knees anyway (for us older/grumpier riders).
2. Keeping the kite low while jumping makes it easier to anticipate for other riders, there is no quickly moving the kite to zenith and dangling, or jump transitions to tangle anyone else
3. When the chicken loop comes off, it flags out uncontroably and tangles other riders
4. jumping off or over objecsts has now become the norm and getting spots banned.
5. big air has moved to foil boards, leading to more injuries due to getting cut by the wing. Foil wings are designed to fly in the water, not in the air, let's keep them that way.

Wake style riders have developed year of experience in proper of etiquete from taking turns in flat water in the boats (reduce excess wake), hitting features linearly at the wake park, or taking turns on lines at the skake or snow park. Wake style geezers also wear helmets. Only now are wake riders sharing these rules with other kiteboarders:

Have we lost our gress roots in the sport? What happened to unhooked jumps and looping the kite below you but only being a couple of metres off the group à la Lou Wainman? Why isn't old new shcool considered old school cool? What happened to style and varity in riding? Seems like it's just edge and hold, maybe I and the rest of the wake style riders are just turning old?

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/91/101/111cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20/23” Guardian/Sentinel bars, 70/90cm carbon masts, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast, Moses 590/330 wing/stabilizer with fuselage plus 1200 sq.cm lightwind wing

Re: Kite companies - please stop the Air Style / Big Air hype!

Postby grigorib » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:29 pm

Stay upwind of stupid.

Look back before boosting.

Wakestyle/unhooked/new school is about dead. Tricks are extremely technical, uncomprehendable for uninvolved and not as spectacular for general crowd.
Hooked tricks are easy bait to sell and Dimitri/Nick/Kevin have happily been selling that advanced, yet realistic and spectacular riding style.

Simply put - riding a sport motorbike gets you way closer feeling to racing than trying to distantly achieve what Olympic gymnasts can do.

Also Wakestyle seems to have to do a lot with owning a boat and burning a lot of gas or paying cable park access which is way out of budget for most of riders.

Foil to save your knees

Don’t jump with a foil. It’s about as adventurous as taking a sword onto trampoline

Wakestyle is still kinda cool, especially when one can ride well.
These users thanked the author grigorib for the post:
mrandrewandrade (Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:37 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

mrandrewandrade
Rare Poster
Local Beach: In Canada: Long Beach, Long Point, Turkey Point, Nickle Beach, Sauble Beach Oliphant

Postby mrandrewandrade » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:55 pm

grigorib wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:29 pm
Hooked tricks are easy bait to sell and Dimitri/Nick/Kevin have happily been selling that advanced, yet realistic and spectacular riding style.
I don't think it's that advanced, mostly just holding an edge and having enough hang time to do things while dandling.
grigorib wrote:
Simply put - riding a sport motorbike gets you way closer feeling to racing than trying to distantly achieve what Olympic gymnasts can do.

Also Wakestyle seems to have to do a lot with owning a boat and burning a lot of gas or paying cable park access which is way out of budget for most of riders.
I don't disagree, but wake style makes use of the properties of a kite: it can pull you up and it can pull you forward (wake and kiteloop based tricks), and with the kite low, you can properly invert like a gymnasts does on flips. This can not be achieved on a boat or cable riding for the same level of magnitude. Electric winches arn't too difficult to make and will be the new norm for feature riding. The cable park I frequented in France was biking distance to my house and cheaper than the fuel I pay to go to a kite spot (in Ontario, the best kite spots are 100-300km away).

Kiting wake style is bliss and much safer from what I have seen than air style or big air riding. If I wanted to get a bunch of height and dangle from a diaper I would go paragliding.

NotsoShort
Rare Poster
Gear: 14m RPM
10m RPM
Has thanked: 0

Postby NotsoShort » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:02 pm

I find it’s those who don’t look around properly are usually the ones who have the close misses. They also seem to have the lack of awareness that when you jump you don’t land on the same spot and you do float down wind.

People need to find space and jump. It can be done safely. Jumping is definitely a fun part of kitesurfing which can’t be done in other sports. People just need educating, just like when I started kiting there were many accidents and kiting was getting banned a lot. It was through educating more on safety advice there a far and few accidents.

I was going to get boots and wakestyle board, but when four guys did their acl all in the same year and now where a knee brace . I’ll rather not risk the knees

My local areas get crowded , even more compact when someone with a camera on the beach appears. You can always find plenty of space .

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/91/101/111cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20/23” Guardian/Sentinel bars, 70/90cm carbon masts, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast, Moses 590/330 wing/stabilizer with fuselage plus 1200 sq.cm lightwind wing

Postby grigorib » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:04 pm

mrandrewandrade wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:55 pm
grigorib wrote:
I don't think it's that advanced, mostly just holding an edge and having enough hang time to do things while dandling.
I don’t mean mere jumping. Folks add backrolls, jumping transitions, some looping, frontrolls, darkslides and suddenly same flat water slick in OBX is great fun without having a ramp.
And of course, maintaining riding pattern is still important there.

My buddy messed up elbow with his unhooked addiction and if you add ramps then wakestyle becomes pretty risky, speaking of injuries

mrandrewandrade
Rare Poster

Postby mrandrewandrade » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:14 pm

grigorib wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:04 pm
mrandrewandrade wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:55 pm
grigorib wrote:
I don’t mean mere jumping. Folks add backrolls, jumping transitions, some looping, frontrolls, darkslides and suddenly same flat water slick in OBX is great fun without having a ramp.
And of course, maintaining riding pattern is still important there.

My buddy messed up elbow with his unhooked addiction and if you add ramps then wakestyle becomes pretty risky, speaking of injuries
I'm not pushing a pure park style agenda, but powered air tricks with the kite low can do most of those tricks sans the loops and slides. I think loops are problems if people got big and lofty or don't watch out for others, but slides by definition is not in the air... so not sure why people associate it with airstyle.

mrandrewandrade
Rare Poster

Postby mrandrewandrade » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:39 pm

I agree with your points about not paying attention, and jumping. It's the same here, once a camera shows up everyone seems like be attracted to it like flies. Problem is jump for height (to post height to social media) has people sending it off big perfectly formed open faces. If a ramp off a wave appears, most people don't look around, they send it for the higher score they can get for that jump. Just my observation :nono:
NotsoShort wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:02 pm

I was going to get boots and wakestyle board, but when four guys did their acl all in the same year and now where a knee brace . I’ll rather not risk the knees
You shouldn't be discouraged by knee braces. I would rather have bad kness then bad ankles (the most common injury since people are in straps. My friend this season tore his MCL due to one foot in staps, one foot out. Heck, if you get knee problems, that's your calling from above to start foiling.

Iridian
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Assateague, OBX
Favorite Beaches: Mauritania
Style: Free Style
Gear: Slingshot, Crazyfly, RE, Ocean Rodeo, Liquid Force

Postby Iridian » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:39 am

This is stupid. Why are you blaming kite companies for individuals' idiocy.

Personal responsibility.
These users thanked the author Iridian for the post (total 10):
knyfe (Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:14 am) • windmaker (Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:04 am) • Kerplow (Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:17 am) • Matty V (Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:27 am) • Leon van Bergen (Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:27 am) • cor (Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:27 am) • FLandOBX (Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:29 pm) • TheRussian (Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:32 pm) • Sun (Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:38 pm) • SENDIT! (Fri May 13, 2022 7:19 pm)
Rating: 66.67%

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
2020/21/22/ Orbits

Postby Blackened » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:00 am

No.

The problem you're describing the in inevitable introduction of the masses, and thus the appearance of mass stupidity. Kite companies aren't responsible for inconsiderate fucktards. It's up to the more experienced to attempt to educate as much as possible. Sometimes this is just explaining, sometimes this is in a telling off, and sometimes this is landing on someone. :)
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post (total 3):
windmaker (Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:13 am) • Matty V (Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:27 am) • TheRussian (Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:32 pm)
Rating: 20%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:08 am

What a stupid post.

Just one comment I will make:

Who is dropping kites on others ?
These users thanked the author Toby for the post (total 9):
Kerplow (Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:18 am) • Matty V (Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:27 am) • Leon van Bergen (Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:26 am) • cor (Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:27 am) • TheRussian (Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:33 pm) • Sun (Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:38 pm) • bigtone667 (Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:37 pm) • Kamikuza (Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:55 am) • SENDIT! (Fri May 13, 2022 7:20 pm)
Rating: 60%

Return to “Kitesurfing”