Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite companies - please stop the Air Style / Big Air hype!

Forum for kitesurfers
cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite companies - please stop the Air Style / Big Air hype!

Postby cor » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:12 pm

pj sofine wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:09 pm
out of control jumps with the foil.
Do YOU even foil? Or are you just highjacking a rant to rant about foilers?

Because these accusations often come from people who actually never jumped on a foil or can´t foil at all.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:33 pm

cor wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:12 pm
pj sofine wrote:
out of control jumps with the foil.
Do YOU even foil? Or are you just highjacking a rant to rant about foilers?

Because these accusations often come from people who actually never jumped on a foil or can´t foil at all.
English must be your 2nd language ,sorry.If my attempt at a little humor and tongue in cheek levity went over your head !If english is your 1st language you must be a a real joy at parties lol.
These users thanked the author pj sofine for the post:
mrandrewandrade (Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:34 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:39 pm

@pj sofine It is my 2nd language and I am glad that it´s just a joke. After reading mrandrewandrade´s stupid post, I was not sure anymore if people are being serious here or not.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pj sofine » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:43 pm

cor wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:39 pm
@pj sofine It is my 2nd language and I am glad that it´s just a joke. After reading mrandrewandrade´s stupid post, I was not sure anymore if people are being serious here or not.
No problem ! And yes I do foil,Don't tell anyone! If my windsurfing wife finds out she may leave me !

Kerplow
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 64 Kg
Local Beach: EU
Style: Allrounder
Gear: North Reach 13, 11
North Orbit 10, 8, 6
North Focus 136+boots
North Atmos 133
Duotone Team 134
Duotone Whip 5'2

Postby Kerplow » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:06 pm

pj sofine wrote:
I think we may be ignoring the elephant in the room. The real danger that will end kitesurfing globally is gaining traction. The numbers are rising, what is this insidious malevolent danger ? Its the strapped in foilboarders using unstable/hard to control foil kites ,the recent pics are showing the insane out of control jumps with the foil/scythe swinging around like an executioners blade.The wingsurfers are now joining them with their kooky uncontrolled jumps/backrolls. Caution,the following 2 pics show a recent decapitation at our local spot.
Nice troll and the owner of this post actually thanked it :D

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pj sofine » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:19 pm

Kerplow wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:06 pm
pj sofine wrote:
I think we may be ignoring the elephant in the room. The real danger that will end kitesurfing globally is gaining traction. The numbers are rising, what is this insidious malevolent danger ? Its the strapped in foilboarders using unstable/hard to control foil kites ,the recent pics are showing the insane out of control jumps with the foil/scythe swinging around like an executioners blade.The wingsurfers are now joining them with their kooky uncontrolled jumps/backrolls. Caution,the following 2 pics show a recent decapitation at our local spot.
Maybe I'm the dense one but I assumed this thread was just a typical "stir the pot" silly post.Throw a silly rant out and see who bites !Maybe I misread the intention lol.Oh,and I'm not in the "troll"category,I like to think of myself as a harmless "agent provocateur".I do wear their under garments. Back on topic,look downwind before you jump !

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:24 pm

Oh I love the seasonal winter threads. Missing water time combined with deep brain freeze...
These users thanked the author knyfe for the post:
pj sofine (Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:41 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:01 pm

NotsoShort wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:02 pm
I find it’s those who don’t look around properly are usually the ones who have the close misses. They also seem to have the lack of awareness that when you jump you don’t land on the same spot and you do float down wind.

People need to find space and jump. It can be done safely. Jumping is definitely a fun part of kitesurfing which can’t be done in other sports. People just need educating, just like when I started kiting there were many accidents and kiting was getting banned a lot. It was through educating more on safety advice there a far and few accidents.

I was going to get boots and wakestyle board, but when four guys did their acl all in the same year and now where a knee brace . I’ll rather not risk the knees

My local areas get crowded , even more compact when someone with a camera on the beach appears. You can always find plenty of space .
i don't wear boots and do wakestyle but i am surprised about your ACL statement being related to boots,, in the snowboarding world, usually snowboarders knees are more protected than skiers from acl injuries, because they are attached to the board,,,, they wind up with all the upper body injuries though,, meanwhile skiers get way more acl injuries

i am just saying it seems like people using straps that one foot can slip out of leaving the other foot in would cause more acl/knee injuries than boots. but on the other hand,, you mentioned 4 guys who went with boots,, then all of them get acl injuries,, that says a lot

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:11 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:09 am
I say get out the way kooks, if there is a session going on, get in the queue, short tack and get told to f%% off, and kooks ... stay out the landing zone and riders once landed get away from it.

The same goes for a wakestyle session... which can easily be part of the same session.

This is normal behavior ... keeps things safe fair and organised!

Also, if you are turning around you need to look in the sky first too not just on the water, kiting is an air sport too so have respect and consideration of that.

Well that was grumpy.... because I am off the water for 5 weeks after breaking myself! :-0
what if a bunch of experienced, idiot kiters take the only path in and out of a cove and turn it into their personal flatwater jumping/showoff spot, and also where they land amongst all the civilian families swimming in shallow water? that's our situation here.

mrandrewandrade
Rare Poster
Local Beach: In Canada: Long Beach, Long Point, Turkey Point, Nickle Beach, Sauble Beach Oliphant
In France: la nautique, leucate, VN
Favorite Beaches: La nautique in France
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switch Element, Nitro and Helium
Been thanked: 0

Postby mrandrewandrade » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:16 pm

pj sofine wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:19 pm
Kerplow wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:06 pm
pj sofine wrote:
Maybe I'm the dense one but I assumed this thread was just a typical "stir the pot" silly post.Throw a silly rant out and see who bites !Maybe I misread the intention lol.Oh,and I'm not in the "troll"category,I like to think of myself as a harmless "agent provocateur".I do wear their under garments. Back on topic,look downwind before you jump !
I thanked PJ because his post had a foiler "killing it", and an unhooked rider eating dust (you can see from semi suicide leash). I appreciate their comedy, same with grigorib and therussian. They get it!

For those who missedit, the punchline is at the bottom of the OP:

>Have we lost our gress roots in the sport? What happened to unhooked jumps and looping the kite below you but only being a couple of metres off the group à la Lou Wainman? Why isn't old new shcool considered old school cool? What happened to style and varity in riding? Seems like it's just edge and hold, maybe I and the rest of the wake style riders are just turning old?

The misspelling was intentional: seems like pride and ego (and language barrier) get in the way of comedic genius, for those who missed the joke:
1. this post is a reference to: viewtopic.php?t=2397899 which I saw on Rygo's insta.
2. gress roots, is related to the gress, comes from Latin, where it has the meaning "step; move.'' It is related to -grad-, where the meaning is used in words like aggression but most importantly progression, graduation etc.
3. shcool putting cool in school... The grad above was a stretch ... I shouldn't need to explain that, come on guys.

Anyways, the point I'm making was as the sport progresses, things go in fashion and popularity moves to something. There are going to be haters for the new who still want to embrace the old (old school kool for new school, get it????) Snowboarders were once hated on at skii resorts, now they are hating on young skii racers going too fast so they can't do their carvey turns as they grow older.

Toby wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:26 am
Most of the times unhooked riders crash their kites, not hooked.

To Toby's point, no one here unhooks anymore, I'm the only one where I ride, and I havn't drop a kite on anyone (yet) since I ride alone and have no friends.
mattaiken MYS NKB wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:46 pm
cor wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:40 am
At first this post gave me a smile on my face because I thought it was some kind of prank or joke. Now, 5 minutes later, I am sad because I am still looking for the punchline.

This post is an emotional rollercoaster.
As I started reading it I thought it was a joke post too. Oh well, 2 mins of my life I'll never get back.

My tongue in cheek post's intention to have a more serious message around safety, some people got it, so it's not that much of a waste of time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Joke's arn't funny when you need to explain them, but never consider non native english speakers when I wrote the post. My appologies to those people. I didn't get a lot of French humor when I lived in France but I learnt to appriciate it as my "street" French improved.
knyfe wrote: Oh I love the seasonal winter threads. Missing water time combined with deep brain freeze...
And this too. I live in Canada, I should have known

Return to “Kitesurfing”