Rare Poster
Local Beach: Buenos Aires - Argentina
Favorite Beaches: Laguna Garzón - Uruguay
Gear: F-One Bandit
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Carbon vs Wood made boards

Postby MrStrike » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:27 pm

Hi guys, I’m looking forward to change my F-One Traxx (paulina wood) for the carbon base Traxx, I ride with boots and during each session I mostly practise unhooked wakestyle tricks. Reading several reviews they mention that carbon boards are very stiff and I’m wondering if this would be uncomfortable for my knees.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
These users thanked the author MrStrike for the post:
apollo4000 (Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:15 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Carbon Vs Wood made boards

Postby Matteo V » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:53 pm

MrStrike wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:27 pm
I ride with boots and during each session I mostly practise unhooked wakestyle tricks. Reading several reviews they mention that carbon boards are very stiff and I’m wondering if this would be uncomfortable for my knees.
Same shape, with stiffer and lighter construction, always seems to beat me up more whether tt or surfboard.

But I just hate carbon.

Normal carbon grades aren't stronger than s-glass, and construction winds up being delicate. There are a few local lake kiters that have nice carbon boards and are afraid to really do anything with them. No beach starts or rail riding.

Stick with a durable glass board with a good old plastic top and bottom sheet. Even if a nice carbon board will let you rotate .1rpm faster, will you or anyone else notice?

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:10 pm

I’ve got 2 custom carbon boards at the moment and they both have excellent flex.
Don’t the vast majority of carbon boards still have a wood core though?

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Re: Carbon vs Wood made boards

Postby Blackened » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:26 pm

MrStrike wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:27 pm
Hi guys, I’m looking forward to change my F-One Traxx (paulina wood) for the carbon base Traxx, I ride with boots and during each session I mostly practise unhooked wakestyle tricks. Reading several reviews they mention that carbon boards are very stiff and I’m wondering if this would be uncomfortable for my knees.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
I have Trax Carbon. It cuts through the chop pretty well and a smooth ride for a carbon board.

Unfortunately, it's not made for boots and incredibly fragile. Carbon boards in general aren't made for any sort of beach carryon. As nice as the pop and ride is on the various carbon boards I've tried, my next board will not be carbon.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:28 pm

andylc wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:10 pm
Don’t the vast majority of carbon boards still have a wood core though?
Yes. High-end carbon boards from Carved to an economical brand like Litewave both use a wood core (usually Paulownia).
Quoted from Carved:
"Under the exclusive Cartan carbon fiber, you will find a heart of solid, CNC milled, Paulownia wood. Known by boat builders as the finest nautical wood available, it resists decay and has superb flex characteristics."
https://www.litewavedesigns.com/product ... -wind.html

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:31 pm

I don’t see why a well made board with a carbon layup shouldn’t be strong as well. It’s no coincidence that carbon fibre is used pretty much everywhere that lightness and strength are a priority.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:55 am

andylc wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:31 pm
I don’t see why a well made board with a carbon layup shouldn’t be strong as well. It’s no coincidence that carbon fibre is used pretty much everywhere that lightness and strength are a priority.
:thumb: :thumb: Carbon is lighter and stronger than fiberglass, it's used on airplanes, F1 cars, high-end bikes etc for this reason.

Off course it has to be used the right way and in the right quantity, not just for looks or marketing which is often the case with some products.

Regarding the Trax carbon, it is light, super responsive, and as strong as any glass board I have ever ridden. It just hurts more when you get a scratch or ding because of the price.

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Postby SMJ » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:52 pm

Yep, the carbon version will beat you up more. Carbon boards are stiffer and snappier than their counterparts, and they have better pop and hold more energy (load). Note that most carbon boards are built around a wood core.

So for wakestyle (which sounds like what you're into) a carbon board is going to be better for load & pop tricks, but your knees will feel it. Like everything else in life, it's a trade-off!

You mentioned that you ride boots, so be careful! A lot of carbon boards aren't meant for the stress of boots, so check the specs on the board first if you're going to boot it up. There's a real chance you can break the board or tear out the inserts with boots if the board is meant for straps.

I have a couple carbon boards but at my ripe old age I only take them out on smooth flat-water days. They really do beat you up more.
Last edited by SMJ on Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:50 pm

I also have two carbon boards and I’m happy with both. The custom’s flexi tips make for a comfortable ride in waves and chop which it’s designed for - the bit which I like and gets ignored in most observations is the lightness of the board when switching from heel to toe, I find I need much less force through the knees to change about. I don’t jump with the boards, so no observations there. The other is a light wind board.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:16 pm

SMJ wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:52 pm
Yep, the carbon version will beat you up more. Carbon boards are stiffer and snappier than wood-based boards, and they have better pop and hold more energy (load).
All boards to my knowledge have wood based core. Difference is in outline of the board. Carbon one is made out of carbon as name says and non-carbon are fiber glass and as a matter of fact both version are composite it's just carbon is more stiff and less weight.

Carbon board with high rocker should offset their stiffness for knees yet provide better pop.
Would love to try carbon board on high rocker like Nobile NHP carbon but they are quite rare

Return to “Kitesurfing”