Local Beach: Sag Harbor
Style: Like it all...
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha,Naish,North,Corevac surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Help me choose a new Kite

Postby Daversj » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:23 pm

Havre wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:44 am
My 2 cents would be look for a big air type kite. They are typically very good at going upwind and for someone 120kg (I'm around 100 myself) having that extra rigidity helps (or at least anecdotally that seems to be the case).

Not sure how much of a need you got for a wave type kite if you are on a TT? I like riding waves on a TT, but for me the need for a wave-type kite seems to be far less when you are on a TT than for example a surf-board. How much drift do you need when you are on TT? Honest question - not a rhetorical one.

As for turning speed a I think most 9ms will be acceptable. I have never tested a 9m or smaller that felt annoyingly slow. Unless you like your kite to be extremely fast I would imagine that would not be a big issue going "big air", but that I guess only you would know.
What he said..... big heavy guy needs a kite with structure in high wind. Five struts or at least 3 struts. Less struts than that and kite will deform when you load it up. Most big name kites of this type are so good its almost like pick your color. I would lean towards 5 struts for you since your not wave sailing.

Return to “Kitesurfing”