Local Beach: El Gouna, Mangroovy Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ponta preta, Manawa
Style: Strapless
Gear: Neo
Brand Affiliation: None

Wave Kiting Right of Ways - still confused

Postby sickdog » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:50 pm

Hi

I've been wave kiting for quite a while in different spots (Cape Verde and Mauritius to mention the two most populars), and i'm still quite confused about wave kiting right of ways... for example, the first two things that come up to mind:

do windsurfers always have the right of way, even if they are in a worse position on a wave?
if i'm closer to the peak, i've always the right of way?

I can't find anywhere a precise guide of the right of ways for wave kiting, it would be great if anyone could help out...

Ciao

Roberto - Sick Dog Surf

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Re: Wave Kiting Right of Ways - still confused

Postby grigorib » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:07 pm

Compared to windsurfer you would be more maneuverable vessel so yes, windsurfers would have right of way.

Rules
1. Avoid collision
2. More maneuverable vessel yields to less maneuverable one
3. Maintain prescribed traffic pattern (channel/port/slick/etc)
4. Starboard is a king of seas
Last edited by grigorib on Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author grigorib for the post:
edt (Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:38 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom

Postby Strekke » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:10 pm

Good question. I have experienced similar confusing situations in Mauritius. Some people claim that because it's harder for windsurfers to catch a wave, they have the right to drop in even if a kiter is in a better position. However, when you then have 10 windsurfers all dropping into sets of 6 waves and doing double attempts if they miss the first one, then there are simply no waves left for the kiters. Now throw in the wingsurfers on foils and you can already imagine what a shitshow Manawa etc. will be on a good day.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:39 pm

I can't answer for those locations. This is how we roll locally.

While tacking out to sea assuming you are in an upwind enough position to get too the impact zone, whoever turns onto the swell first takes that swell and the wave associated with it.

Simple. Job done.

The tricky part is selecting the right swell that will turn into an epic wave. When you select it, it may be a stormer or may fizzle out. You are 500-600m out to sea. It is unknown at that point. But it is fair. Guy on the swell gets the wave. Wind surfer, kiter, foiler, wing foiler whatever.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:30 pm

The wave belongs to whoever is on it first, subject to the overriding rule that collisions are to be avoided at all costs. The problem sometimes arises that some dick decides to turn onto your wave upwind of you forcing you to take evasive action. A quiet word on the beach usually stops it happening again, but if it doesn't then a clear description of the damage that will occur to his usually expensive and pristine equipment in the event of a collision seems to work. :wink:

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:48 pm

I agree with plummet and iriejohn.

While kiters often yield to windsurfers as they have to work harder per wave in general, they do not have priority. I will often give a wave to a well behaved windsurfer who has been making the same circle as everyone else. But not if there's a big crowd and I had to wait a long time to get the right spot on the right wave. There are also windsurfers who purposely stall to let the next wave catch up to them after they made a bad choice selecting a smaller swell. I will not give them my wave.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:17 pm

Depends on the spot. Try claiming a wave from a windsurfer at Sunset Beach in Cape Town and you are in for a rude surprise. However, at Haakgat Plummet's approach rules, largely because you can get started on a swell far out and ride it all the way in, windsurfers and kitesurfers generally acknowledging each other's priority. But at Sunset Beach the swells form up really quickly and there is not time for that and once a windsurfer is on a wave and charging down the line even if you are already on the wave your best approach is to bail.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:19 pm

Mauritius (One-eye) is very orderly - everyone (kiters & windsurfers) goes out in a queue & furthest out picks their swell line 1st - never had any issues, aside from the odd kiter trying to get on a wave - but closest one to the break has the right of way, regardless of being a kiter or windsurfer

As mentioned, the quality of the wave is luck of the draw, except at One eye, as on a big day, its v obvious as the swell just gets bigger & faster

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:59 am

1 . Be respectful 2. Learn what short tacking is. 3. Ask the alpha guru locals the rules.

Rules are there to keep people safe and to make things fairer, i am not saying fair though - you cannot just come along and expect to be local guru status.. there is a heir-achy - just like in surfing. ease in gently - show respect to get respect.

i have never considered a windsurfer to have priority, but i will still apply the same rules above.

peppedurso
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Sicily / Cape Town
Style: Wave Riding and Freestyle Strapless
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters
Appletree Malus Domestica 4'11 / Luke's Leaf 4'9 / Appleflap noseless 5'1
Brand Affiliation: Appletree/Cabrinha

Postby peppedurso » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 am

Rule n.1 should be avoid collision at any cost, but lack of common sense in both kiters and windsurfers do not make things easy. Also among windsurfers the ones that are going against the wave got priority, instead surfers and kiters got priority if they are surfing a wave. I guess most of the frictions get started by that.
Use common sense, stay safe and enjoy!

Return to “Kitesurfing”