Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wave Kiting Right of Ways - still confused

Forum for kitesurfers
or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Wave Kiting Right of Ways - still confused

Postby or6 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:07 am

As much as I agree with downunder on being respectful, asking the local guru doesnt always make sense.

First of all, he's likely to be on the water, second, he might not speak a common language, but most of all, local rules can be rather...local...like in el Medano (Tenerife) where the better spot is windsurfonly, unless you're a local kiteboarder. I can live with leaving the surf for the windsurfers, but being told to leave by a kiteboarder didn't quite compute. Good thing I can swear in Spanish;-).

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Professional Online Kitebored Commenter.
Gear: Flysurfer VMGs 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18. Foilboard ( Masts 75 110 125 Wings 880 1100 1350) with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:46 am

or6 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:07 am
As much as I agree with downunder on being respectful, asking the local guru doesnt always make sense.

First of all, he's likely to be on the water, second, he might not speak a common language, but most of all, local rules can be rather...local...like in el Medano (Tenerife) where the better spot is windsurfonly, unless you're a local kiteboarder. I can live with leaving the surf for the windsurfers, but being told to leave by a kiteboarder didn't quite compute. Good thing I can swear in Spanish;-).
Choose your battles carefully I reckon. I have seen someone do this at a very famous wave riding spot, telling the local guru who is friends with everyone at the spot how it should be / should work. Big fail, not welcome back.

These things happen on small islands wuth limited resources.. more localism.

vela99
Medium Poster
Gear: North Neo 8 & 11, Slingshot Celeritas 5'8''

Postby vela99 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:27 pm

plummet wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:39 pm
I can't answer for those locations. This is how we roll locally.

While tacking out to sea assuming you are in an upwind enough position to get too the impact zone, whoever turns onto the swell first takes that swell and the wave associated with it.

Simple. Job done.

The tricky part is selecting the right swell that will turn into an epic wave. When you select it, it may be a stormer or may fizzle out. You are 500-600m out to sea. It is unknown at that point. But it is fair. Guy on the swell gets the wave. Wind surfer, kiter, foiler, wing foiler whatever.
+1

I really hate it when another rider, it does not matter if kiter or windsurfer, choses to ignore me jibing into a wave upwind of me and which I have been on for a couple of minutes already pretending that I get out of the way. I have seen this quite often and always wondered if they know the rules.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:36 pm

vela99 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:27 pm
plummet wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:39 pm
I can't answer for those locations. This is how we roll locally.

While tacking out to sea assuming you are in an upwind enough position to get too the impact zone, whoever turns onto the swell first takes that swell and the wave associated with it.

Simple. Job done.

The tricky part is selecting the right swell that will turn into an epic wave. When you select it, it may be a stormer or may fizzle out. You are 500-600m out to sea. It is unknown at that point. But it is fair. Guy on the swell gets the wave. Wind surfer, kiter, foiler, wing foiler whatever.
+1

I really hate it when another rider, it does not matter if kiter or windsurfer, choses to ignore me jibing into a wave upwind of me and which I have been on for a couple of minutes already pretending that I get out of the way. I have seen this quite often and always wondered if they know the rules.
If you are too down wind and are going to miss the best part of the impact zone then it stands to reason that another can turn in upwindof you. If not then I my instance that means there'l be 2 riders riding that wave...... Hehe.

vela99
Medium Poster
Gear: North Neo 8 & 11, Slingshot Celeritas 5'8''

Postby vela99 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:40 am

Normally I pick "my" wave far outside as this allows me to be at the right place with respect to the impact zone.

If a wave is very long and has several sections and break points I do not mind to share if there is enough space.

I do mind if others, usually the same rider again and again, always seems to ignore me not being in a better position on the wave at all. (In my modest opinion the rule of "better position" has the right of way over those who were "on the wave first" has issues; in real good conditions and top quality spots this is clear and quite defined but there are spots where it is not. Are we willing to accept that ruthless riders always interpret being in a better position? I am not.)

Return to “Kitesurfing”