Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Re: Light wind kite

Postby Blackened » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:10 pm

joriws wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:12 pm
Lawn moving is no jumps or tricks i.e. riding just back and forth in case you did not know like ploughing with hydrofoil.
We can probably agree to disagree. If all I had was sub 15kn winds 99% of days, I would give up my TT and take up foiling. If it was less than 10kn, I wouldn't kite at all.

Actually, that's a lie. I would move.

joriws wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:12 pm

I'd put newbie on a good foil kite just not Pansh...
I'm not saying foils are bad. I actually love them for the amazingly smooth power delivery and glide. But assuming you're learning in the water, newbies have a tendency to crash their kites. A lot. Can you learn on a foil? Of course. But LEIs are much more forgiving and easier to learn on the water. If I had to learn on a foil kite, I would've given up after the 3rd long swim back to the beach.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:01 am

Very simple. If you are in the POPCORN FART weight class which most on this forum are then take their advice. If you are in the CLYDESDALE class then use the BIGGEST Freaken kite you can buy. They are NOT slow Turing and hard to fly. That’s all bullwash!! Always better to have plenty of juice in reserve! Being underpowered is the WORST! I used to think use the smallest kite u can. WRONG! Mowing the LAWN is better than sitting on your A**

These users thanked the author 14ToeSide for the post:
oldkiter (Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:11 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Carlos_C
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southend, Lancing, Hunstanton, sea Palling
Gear: Fuels, Speed 4, Sonic 2
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Carlos_C » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:38 pm

If I had to learn on a foil kite,
funny - I learnt on foil kites years ago and the relaunch in those days was so much better - I used to pity see the tube guys madly swimming backwards trying to get the kite on its back - me i'd unhook - kite would reverse launch flip and sit on its TE and back up it'd go

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:18 pm

It certainly makes sense to have some bigger kit if that's your typical wind.
It'll give you more sessions on the water, which will speed up your learning.

I found a bigger board really speeded up my learning with easier water starts and turns.

Worth considering deepwater relaunch (and shallow water, for that matter).
You will become a master in time, but take care until you are more experienced.
Getting a big kite up in light wind can be a son-of-a b%^*!

I've had a lot of kit over the years and find really diminishing returns over a good 15m kite.
I rarely used my 17m's
I am heavier and my location wind conditions differ.
In most spots, the wind will pick up as the day progresses. By the time I've pumped a 17m, a 15m would be fine for a good few hours!

Good luck.

narwhal_bg wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:06 pm
Hi all! Happy holidays.
I'm new in kiteboarding, I have only one alone session after the lessons. I'm 85 kg or 187 pounds with 12 m2 kite (12-22 knt according manufacturer) and 138x42 board. On my home spot, most of the time we have low wind (between 8 and 10 knt). Does it make sense to buy bigger kite like 15m2 RRD Emotion and 163 low wind board for 8 to 10 knt wind?
These users thanked the author badgb21 for the post:
narwhal_bg (Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:26 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”