Forum for kitesurfers
AirConnolly
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Eastern Long Island
Gear: Cabrinha and Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

Cab Switchblade vs Moto

Postby AirConnolly » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:29 pm

I am in the market for a new kite and looking for some feedback from the forum. I am approx. 200 lbs, intermediate kiter, usually ride a twintip with some strapless mixed in, and an interested in learning to foil to maximize the low end. My twintips are a 140-144 because I am tall and don't like the smaller boards. The wind range is usually 12-22 knots. It is rare that we get clean wind above 25 knots. I start having fund around 14/15 knots, but occasionally do downwinders on a directional when its at the lower end. I have a 9m and 12m cab vectors from 2014/15. I like Cabrinha gear and don't want to buy or mod my bars, so narrowed my search down to the switchblade and the moto. I am looking to replace the 12 meter kite. I am considering going up to a 14 meter, but past experience with larger kites have been bad; either underpowered and sluggish or quickly overpowered. Does anyone have any feed back on these kites in 12 and 14? Also, any feedback on the boost/hangtime of the two kites; I know the switchblade is better but how much am I really giving up with the Moto?

Thanks in advance!

mikelet
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: Yes
Brand Affiliation: No

Re: Cab Switchblade vs Moto

Postby mikelet » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:06 pm

I own 12m SB and 14m Moto , low end it's about the same . the SB has better upwind , tons of power/depower being a 12m,delivers higher board speed and loftier jumps , you can do it turn fast but it's bow/flatter profile DNA it makes for a fantastic park and ride style of kite
The Moto 14m it's a do it all, more playful faster turning kite , very good balanced in all aspects if you ask me
It only depends on the spot,conditions or what style of board i choose for the day to decide what to rig
You're not wrong with either of them ,avoid 14m SB if you can ,way too slow and heavy
I'm 190 tall and 95 kg, hope it helps!
These users thanked the author mikelet for the post:
Bearkite (Sat May 15, 2021 11:07 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:30 pm

AirConnolly wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:29 pm
I am in the market for a new kite and looking for some feedback from the forum. I am approx. 200 lbs, intermediate kiter, usually ride a twintip with some strapless mixed in, and an interested in learning to foil to maximize the low end. My twintips are a 140-144 because I am tall and don't like the smaller boards. The wind range is usually 12-22 knots. It is rare that we get clean wind above 25 knots. I start having fund around 14/15 knots, but occasionally do downwinders on a directional when its at the lower end. I have a 9m and 12m cab vectors from 2014/15. I like Cabrinha gear and don't want to buy or mod my bars, so narrowed my search down to the switchblade and the moto. I am looking to replace the 12 meter kite. I am considering going up to a 14 meter, but past experience with larger kites have been bad; either underpowered and sluggish or quickly overpowered. Does anyone have any feed back on these kites in 12 and 14? Also, any feedback on the boost/hangtime of the two kites; I know the switchblade is better but how much am I really giving up with the Moto?

Thanks in advance!
For this wind range look at getting Contra 15m and switchblade 11m. I own sb in size 10m and it's not as fast as many kite it does have good wind range.
You won't be able to ride Contra 15m from 12kts, more like 13-14kts.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:30 am

9 and 11 switchblades, and 15 contra. I have had some great sessions on the Contra. Also have a 17 but have never pumped it up yet since 15 has been so good. I don’t know much about the moto.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:37 am

Since you mention foiling:
Unless you want to ride really powered up for jumping or racing a 5 strut like a Switchblade isn’t a great fit.
It just won’t drift enough and on the low end it will be hard to learn on since the kite needs to much babysitting due to its weight (eg active steering and looping to not let it drop out of the air).
3 strut is a bit better but if you want to either explore the low end or want to ride waves you will look into getting a one strut/no strut/foil/single skin sooner or later.
Also kite sizing with foils is messed up, I usually ride half the size and or smaller of TT people (Moses 633 foil)
So especially a big 14m kite you would be potentially looking at flying that in probably 8-12 knots. Anything heavier then a one strut starts to be a pain to keep in the air, especially if you add in some waves or currents it might be impossible to learn on.

I would argue that the only kites that will properly work for you in this size for both twintip and hydrofoil are foil kites or the (3 strut) aluula kites. A one strut you will just fold in half when riding powered up on a twintip with your weight and a regular 3 strut won’t be great for foiling in sub 12 knot conditions.

appelton
Medium Poster
Weight: 190lbs
Local Beach: Belmont Shore / CA
Gear: Still looking for gear.
Has thanked: 0

Postby appelton » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:42 pm

AirConnolly wrote:

Thanks in advance!
Your wind conditions are exactly same as mine. 12-22knots most of the year. Don't make the mistake I did which is buying MOTO 14m. Horribile kite in light winds. Falls of the sky like a sack of potatoes. For this exact wind range I am using Cabrinha Contra 15m + Switchblade 12m. Contra is an amazing lightwind kite...I usually go with Contra 15m + big FLYDOOR board in the range 11 - 16knots. 17-22knots I go with Switchblade 12m and smaller board. Perfect combo.

appelton
Medium Poster
Weight: 190lbs
Local Beach: Belmont Shore / CA
Gear: Still looking for gear.
Has thanked: 0

Postby appelton » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:44 pm

SolarSet wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:30 pm
AirConnolly wrote:

Thanks in advance!
You won't be able to ride Contra 15m from 12kts, more like 13-14kts.
Contra 15m + big door + 2m line extensions and you can go out in 11kts.

Daversj
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sag Harbor
Style: Like it all...
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha,Naish,North,Corevac surfboard

Postby Daversj » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:44 am

I ride out east, do i know you? ... anyway 14m switchblade sucks avoid at all costs. Contra 15 will work as a light wind twintip or mowing lawn on surfboard but there are better choices, its slow. If Cabrinha made a 1 strut 14m....but they dont.... that would be a perfect for what your asking. One struts work great for foil and also surfboard. They would lack the grunt for twintip in lightwind at your weight.

So, for light wind twin tip(Yuck,don’t do it) get the Contra 15, or Ozone, zephyr(turns better).

For Foil and surfboard in light wind. 14m one strut. They are playful, turn fast, drift well and don't Hindenburg unless you screw up. They will pretty much sit over your head in light wind, amazing. So Ozone Alpha, Naish boxer, Slingshot Ghost...

See you out there....Dave, guy in the white truck 🤙

ELI
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom

Postby ELI » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:54 pm

Hi Dave, I don't think Connelly has gotten down to our area. Have invited him in the past to get togethers but he has not made it . Air, maybe this year see you at one of our get togethers .

AirConnolly
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Eastern Long Island
Gear: Cabrinha and Slingshot

Postby AirConnolly » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:34 pm

Hi Dave & Eli,

I live in Mattituck, and mainly ride in the Peconic, the sound, or occasionally over on Dune road. Hopefully, I can make it over there to at some point, but with young kids and the traffic it might be tough this season.

Thanks for the feedback. I settled on adding a 12M switchblade to twintip with and keeping the 12M vector for surfboard and eventually foil. If I really get into foiling, I'll get another kite next season. I've flown 14M/15M kites with a twintip before and it kind of sucks.

Return to “Kitesurfing”