SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Help a big guy pick out a big board for big air

Postby SolarSet » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:46 pm

good question is how much is your equipment limiting your big air and how much technique.
I'm riding Core XR6 8/11m kites for last few months and Nobile NHP board and I can't go more than 7m which I'm blaming on lack of technique, I'm sure that I should be able to jump 15m or more on gear I have before I need to upgrade board.
These users thanked the author SolarSet for the post:
SMJ (Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:53 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Postby SMJ » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:06 pm

SolarSet wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:46 pm
good question is how much is your equipment limiting your big air and how much technique.
SolarSet,
No doubt my technique is (at least) 90% of the problem! I'm trying to address the technique issues with boosting specific lessons from my local kite instructor.

If you look through my lineup of current boards, you'll see none are ideal for boosting. When I switched from Switchblades (that I still love and use all the time) to AV8 kites, I immediately added ~2m to my jumps (also own a XR5 and Soul, but the AV8 just suits me best). I feel like I'm ready for a bigger air board, so I'd like to gain that 10% or so that a good boosting board may offer - which I plan on having for years to come.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:47 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:13 am
Can i suggest losing weight. It may make a massive difference to your kiting. I did 10kg.. huuuuuuuuuge difference.
hahahahahah!

Unfortunately, very true. I notice a huge difference in ease of riding down just 5kg.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:54 pm

SMJ wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:06 pm
SolarSet,
No doubt my technique is (at least) 90% of the problem! I'm trying to address the technique issues with boosting specific lessons from my local kite instructor.

If you look through my lineup of current boards, you'll see none are ideal for boosting. When I switched from Switchblades (that I still love and use all the time) to AV8 kites, I immediately added ~2m to my jumps (also own a XR5 and Soul, but the AV8 just suits me best). I feel like I'm ready for a bigger air board, so I'd like to gain that 10% or so that a good boosting board may offer - which I plan on having for years to come.
Smaller boards are much easier to release from the water. I always found LW or big boards to stick. I think just a smaller board will give you that 10% without even going for a Big Air specific rocketship. If you can, give a bigger riding 138/137x41/42 board (like a Monarch) a go and see how you like it before committing to a 146x44.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:43 pm

Wanting to boost with help from a board that will be kind to your knees will not happen. You must concentrate on good technique and the kite. Think big overpowered kite.
SMJ wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:43 am
Seasons Greetings all,

I currently have a few twintips (OR Mako's, OR Smoothy, LF Overdrive, Duotone Spike Textreme, and a couple old doors that collect dust), but none excel at big air, and that's the direction I'm moving towards.

Here are some factors:
1. Bigger rider (107 kg / 235 lbs)
2. Older (over 50) - knees aren't what they used to be
3. Intermediate level rider (sending 5 - 7m jumps, downloops but not doing powered kiteloops)
4. Conditions are typically 13 - 23 knots at our local spots
5. Plan to use the board with straps not boots

What I'm after in a board by priority:
1. Bigger board (at least 145 x 44)
2. Holds an edge really well (grippy) and releases well
3. Soaks up chop (minimal spray and easy on the old knees)
4. Good pop
5. Fast

Boards I'm considering (other big board suggestions are welcome):
1. Carved Imperator 6 145 x 44
2. Core Fusion 4 147 x 44
3. Vanguard Axis 148 x 46

I really like these boards but have crossed them off the list, since they're too small for my size given our local wind conditions:
1. Duotone Jaime Textreme 142 x 43
2. CrazyFly Raptor (LTD & Extreme) 142 x 43
3. Naish Monarch 143 x 42.5
4. Cabrinha Ace Hybrid 141 x 43

I'd appreciate comments from bigger riders (100 kg and up), but all opinions are welcome. Please refrain from suggesting smaller boards (less than 145 x 44) that are of no use to a heavyweight in moderate winds. I'd love to hear from anyone who has time on the Imperator / Fusion / Axis.

Thank you & Happy New Year!
-SMJ

Guttorm
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Favorite Beaches: El Medano, Sardinia, Rædergården, Trones, Leksdalsvatnet
Gear: Ozone R1 v4 18
Ozone Edge 17 & 19
Core XR4 11 13.5
Core XR3 9
Core Choice 3
Slingshot Glide LW
Core SLC foilboard

Postby Guttorm » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:07 am

I am 110kgs and found the wery best board for me this
Summer 😍 the Choice 3 in 147x45 cm. It's fantastic 🤩 it makes everything better to have a board of the right size that is really fast with great pop and wery easy on the knees.

https://gleiten.tv/index.php/video/acti ... /page/350/

Try it, you will love it.👍😍👍
These users thanked the author Guttorm for the post:
SMJ (Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:26 am)

GJibb
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: SW Ontario
Gear: LF/Gong/Slingshot Kites
Duotone TT/SB
Gong HF

Postby GJibb » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:46 am

Hello

I disagree with everything everyone has said, I've also not read any of it.

I'm 250lb with gear, but sorry I'm only 35 years old
I ride a 143*44 Axis Vanguard for everything. 15knots-35knots ALWAYS HORRIBLY CHOPPY. It loads, it jumps, it lands, sometimes it does that cool freestyle guy SMACK which makes you feel cool when you're clearly not... IT FLEXES WHEN ITS SUPPOSED TO BASED ON YOUR WEIGHT, not some 180lb jerk off saying its stiff because they cant physically change it.
Anyone says change to smaller board size are either too light or too cocky. Sure you can "hold more power" but f***, you're on a bigger kite based on weight anyways so that's idiotic.
Wood CORE PLUS Carbon reinforcement... NOT full Carbon... NOT full Wood... I think thats the only way it will treat big guys properly while being man-handled

I bet you'd like it too :thumb:
Also because its older it might be cheaper because $1000 for a board is a joke

Also, if it helps you. IF/WHEN the board breaks, or other eventualities, I will probably go to a (old)North/Duotone Jaime even though i think the biggest size it like 140/42 ish area. But only because Liquid Force went out of business, I did like those guys a bunch.

Hope it helps a little
These users thanked the author GJibb for the post:
SMJ (Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:51 am)

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:55 am

GJibb wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:46 am
... IT FLEXES WHEN ITS SUPPOSED TO BASED ON YOUR WEIGHT, not some 180lb jerk off saying its stiff because they cant physically change it.

Anyone says change to smaller board size are either too light or too cocky. Sure you can "hold more power" but f***, you're on a bigger kite based on weight anyways so that's idiotic.
Most of the people replying are 100kg+. But, this is true. Boards are typically built with weights in mind, but also flex. In my experience, the same boards in larger sizes just have more flex. Some of the manufacturers (like Crazyfly) list their flex ratings, so you can see how the sizing compares in their arbitrary measurements.

Second you're completely wrong, but reminded me of something. The original criteria mentioned up to 23kn, which wouldn't really categorize for big air powered riding when a small(er) board would be useful. I still think people in the 110kg region would be well suited on a 143/144 when I'm perfect on a 138x41 at 100kg. At 15kn I can ride upwind on my 15m on a 138x41 Atmos.
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post:
SMJ (Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:47 pm)

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:08 am

GJibb wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:46 am
Hello

I disagree with everything everyone has said, I've also not read any of it.
Pure quality. :lol:
These users thanked the author iriejohn for the post (total 2):
GJibb (Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:39 pm) • Robsw6 (Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:58 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:24 pm

I only have old gear, but in upto 23 knots jumping session at 96kg I would pick my 135x47 and 15m kite. It seems that short and wide is harder to find these days from a brief scan of the net. Extra width is nice to be able to stand over in the lulls and it does not have much leverage over the backfoot in the carve as it is just poking up into the air. However it does make it harder to engage toeside if you want this option. Also with wide boards you have the option of running a little heelside bias with the bindings but of course this increases the difficulty engaging toeside. But this is oldschool thinking and it seems to me that your proposal of 145x44 is sensible and will be noticeable step down in size from the Spike. I don’t think the power requirement would be much higher than the Mako. (For just riding my135x47 requires about same, and my 143x48 a lot less power than my old Mako 150.). Personally I think ideal board width is related to footsize as well as weight.

Going smaller might work if you have steady wind to work with or if you are prepared to wait for good conditions. Sadly I have not tried modern boards. Just oldoldschool thoughts out of possible interest!
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
SMJ (Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:36 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”