Gear: Ozone zephyr 17m
Switch Element 14m
Ozone catalyst 10m
Naish haze 144 x 45
SU2 Bigfoot 145 x45
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Help a big guy pick out a big board for big air

Postby fatkiter » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:15 am

I have very similar questions as to OP and thought to ask here rather than create a new post:

120 kg almost intermediate:)

I am between Nobile NHP 2017 143x48 or Nobile NHP 2020 142 x43

I read that these boards are good on chop, have good pop and good upwind

2020 model doesn't come in the bigger size like 2017 model.

Anyone has any thoughts or experience with these 2 boards?

Thank

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:59 am

I have a Nobile 143x148 XL. Probably since 2008. It has a nomex core so probably a different construction. I love this board. For a big TT it is good at everything except extended toeside. ( Fine for sliding to toeside before carved turns.). But somebody of your size may well be able to hold a toeside rail at this width. (I ride @ ~100kg) Particulary useful in less than perfect conditions, I will even use it in 30knt gusty onshore conditions and have little trouble holding an edge in the flats between white water steps, and the width allows you to use a small kite that can be worked hard in the lulls; but of course that has nothing much to do with getting big air.

You would have a lot of fun on this board jumping off ramps and it would not be a dud purchase.

However if you are truly seeking big air where you are trying to maximise the preload and you are doing core muscle training to cope with the stresses buy the board which will enable you to confidently hold the edge overpowered on a 9m.
Last edited by Herman on Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:53 pm

I went with a 142x44 to replace my 140x43 (which replaced a 138x42) and I actually think it's too big. My next TT will probably be a 138 again...

The 142 is fine when you're under- to just-powered but as soon as it starts getting fun -- ie. 25 plus knots on a 12m -- it's gets difficult to hold an edge. Or rather, I remember it being easier to be happily over-powered and still hold an edge for boosting with the 138 or 140.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:40 pm

Might be related to your size?

One of the local spots here is usually quite choppy. I'm no expert so I wouldn't know how it would feel loading up to jump 20 meters, but I can't say I feel like losing my edge on my 140x43.

Then again I'm not sure if there is a universal answer to this. All boards are not equal and there are different personal preferences. I can't help on any of the specific boards mentioned unfortunately.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:14 pm

116Kg 50+ bad knee - I've sought the same answer for a number of years.
My main board is a C/F Elite 140X42 - Love it! 9m to 13m
Had a couple of higher rocker boards for when my knee is bad. I find these to be power-hungry and not engaging enough.
I started to ration my time on the water and just stick to the C/F

I had a Shinn Bronq 136X42 and this was the closest thing to covering all bases, but was a tad small and need to be very powered on a 12m for it to work.
A great ride though. I'd consider a bigger sized one as my main board once the C/F dies!

Good luck with your search!
These users thanked the author badgb21 for the post:
SMJ (Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:31 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:03 pm

It’s not the answer you’re looking for, but I’m with stupids who are suggestion smaller boards.

If you want big air – it isn’t a bigger board that you should be after – but a bigger kite. Go for anything with really good high end and low bar pressure. North Orbit for example.

Board-wise, I started back when 135cm was considered a big board for a 200lbs rider… And to this day - that’s just about as long as I want to be boosting of when nicely powered.

If there’s no power to the kite – doesn’t matter how long of a board you’re on – you ain’t doing any big airs.

And when you’re riding well-powered, no board over 142cm will give you the edge hold you’re looking for to boost properly. Not to mention the fact that you aren’t doing your knees any favors by landing big airs on a door.

McLovin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 124 kg
Local Beach: The Columbia River Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Rufus & Rooster - sandy ones with smooth wind
Style: TT - Newbie Foiler
Gear: Armstrong FOIL - SS Dwarfcraft - North Code Zero 7,8 - CORE Section 4,5 XR 7,9 Ocean Rodeo RISE (A) 9/10/11 Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5(A), CARVE Imperator 151cm TT and Crazy Fly Raptor 140cm Neon TT - Ocean Rodeo Ignites Drysuit - Mystic Majestic 5/4 4/3 other stuff...
Brand Affiliation: Just stuff I like... THANKS Armie!

Postby McLovin » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:10 pm

Hey SMJ,

I'm akin to the poster that disagrees with everything he hasn't read, classic - but only in that I NEVER LISTEN TO THE LITTLE PEOPLE just as a matter of policy...

I am 125kg in season, a bit more for winter and avid kiter but only going into my 4th season - 20+ years WS before finding the light... and live in the Gorge, will be 50 this year, so kinda fit your profile...

I tend to ride similar to you, love to boost, carve, ride swells and chuck spray etc. don't have a WOO but have had many two story boosts where you think, "whoa I'm UP here..."

Board wise: My fav is my Crazy Fly Raptor - Carbon NEON 140x42 - I use it for 7m, 8m, 10m, 12m it's unquestionably my #1 and you can try to pry it from my cold dead hands someday - the board is SUPER SMOOTH and dances across the swell like no other, I am personally convinced that many of the TT hater's have never been on a truly good TT board - I LOVE IT 1000%

Notably I just got a new friend - the CARVE Imperator 151 v5 for use with my big 14.5m Flite - Yes there are lots of light wind days in the Gorge, well a few anyway. Will have to report in on it's usefulness later, but super stoked to have a big board with rocker and so light in the all carbon mode to replace my 1st learner CF All-Around 145x48 woodie which used to be my light wind option.

Hope that helps - once we kill this virus, love to share a 35mph gorge day, does make for some nice Airs :thumb:

Mc

:dance:
OGnnnn1kT56%KxP%+cC2lw_thumb_4d56.jpg
These users thanked the author McLovin for the post:
SMJ (Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:16 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:28 pm

badgb21 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:14 pm
Had a couple of higher rocker boards for when my knee is bad. I find these to be power-hungry and not engaging enough.

You're on a CF Elite with bad knees? Jesus f***.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:53 pm

Blackened wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:28 pm
badgb21 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:14 pm

You're on a CF Elite with bad knees? Jesus f***.
Riding around on the C/F isn't too bad, though the Solent chop can aggravate a bit.
The problem for me is having a session with it and not jumping, which is very difficult to resist ;)
It's 5 years old and love it!
The landings upset my knee. It used to be some Nurofen and it'd be ok by mid-week.
Age has kindly made my knee easier to aggravate and longer to heal. :( Resulting in less and less time on the water.
Just had an MRI and partial re-surface of my left knee probably next winter.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:20 pm

Havre wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:40 pm
Might be related to your size?

One of the local spots here is usually quite choppy. I'm no expert so I wouldn't know how it would feel loading up to jump 20 meters, but I can't say I feel like losing my edge on my 140x43.

Then again I'm not sure if there is a universal answer to this. All boards are not equal and there are different personal preferences. I can't help on any of the specific boards mentioned unfortunately.
Maybe.

I think I've come around to Toby's way of thinking on this... although my reasoning for choosing the bigger TT was for getting through the inconsistent wind and chop we have here... but now I've pretty much given up riding the TT here -- I think maybe one session last year, the rest were foil :lol:

"Back home", there's the estuary which is mostly flat so ok from 18 knots, or the beach -- which I'll only ever go to if it's 25 knots or more and cross shore.

When the wind really picks up and the kite is zinging, I'm having issues with the board, loading up and holding it... which I put down to the greater area of the bigger board.

Of course, I could just be out of TT practice :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”