Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wellington
Favorite Beaches: Perth, Los Roques, Sri Lanka
Style: Freestyle
Gear: North, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Other spots in Tenerife?

Postby lavueltalmundo » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:03 pm

Hi guys, anyone who knows other kite spots (even if they are more advanced) apart from Médano and La Tejita in Tenerife?

El Médano is pretty hectic and crowded, maybe other more adventurous spot, just trying to think out of the box of el médano.

Any advice would be appreciated! 🤙

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Re: Other spots in Tenerife?

Postby or6 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:48 pm

If you go downwind from Cabezo (el.Medano) you end up in an extremely flat water spot, behind sea walls of some electrical company. Its not an official spot, but I've been there a couple of times, and nobody was complaining.

There is some kiteboarding in Playa de las Americas, with supposedly chances of decent waves. Tried it once, no waves and personally, I didn't like the area much.

I don't think there are any other spots for kiteboarding. If you want some more variety or adventure, go to Gran Canaria.
These users thanked the author or6 for the post:
lavueltalmundo (Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:25 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

lavueltalmundo
Rare Poster

Postby lavueltalmundo » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:23 pm

or6 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:48 pm
If you go downwind from Cabezo (el.Medano) you end up in an extremely flat water spot, behind sea walls of some electrical company. Its not an official spot, but I've been there a couple of times, and nobody was complaining.
You mean the spot that is called Playa del Vidrio, upwind from el médano, where all the wind turbines are? Everything past médano is full on off shore. I just find Médano really crowded and to be honest it's a tiny spot.

I'm not too sure where El Cabezo is, another spot or it's another name for Médano?

Thanks for your input!

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:47 pm

go upwind and you have space enough.
At the harbour wall are nice waves.
Near the beach is hectic, beginners with radio’s etc.. just go out where the wind is better too.

Clarencephil
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride

Postby Clarencephil » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:56 am

lavueltalmundo wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:23 pm
or6 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:48 pm
You mean the spot that is called Playa del Vidrio, upwind from el médano, where all the wind turbines are? Everything past médano is full on off shore. I just find Médano really crowded and to be honest it's a tiny spot.

I'm not too sure where El Cabezo is, another spot or it's another name for Médano?

Thanks for your input!
El Cabezo is a bit upwind of the harbour wall in El Medano

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:36 am

Yeah, sorry guys and girls, its upwind.

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:00 am

El Cabezo has nice waves, too. But you have to be very careful due to flat water and very sharp lava rocks all over the place. You must not loose your board, as it will be smashed to pieces by the waves in the shorebreak / on the rocks. And soon after your board, you will be smashed to pieces as well... (wind is onshore, no chance to escape the shore without board). Use of a boardleash is mandatory if you surf the waves there.
Las Americas has great waves and can be kited in southern wind directions. But the launch / land area is super small with large and hard obstacles directly downwind. Any mistake will be fatal there. And the shorebreak is super dangerous when the waves are high. Plus: Rocky sea bottom all over the place, very strong currents. You have to know exactly what you´re doing there, only for expert riders.

If you want a decent choice of kitesurf spots, go to Fuerte. Tenerife is very limited.

duddd
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Flag Beach
Gear: wtb

Postby duddd » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:53 pm

I've been in Medano in full season in August and didn't really feel that crowded. If you want to stay near the shore, yes, it will be really crowded, but if you go out, there was plenty of room.
If it was really strong wind, i usually stayed more downwind, at Pigs Bay, where there were some great waves and people usually avoided that place.

lavueltalmundo
Rare Poster

Postby lavueltalmundo » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:30 pm

duddd wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:53 pm
I've been in Medano in full season in August and didn't really feel that crowded. If you want to stay near the shore, yes, it will be really crowded, but if you go out, there was plenty of room.
If it was really strong wind, i usually stayed more downwind, at Pigs Bay, where there were some great waves and people usually avoided that place.
I have never been here in summer, in fact this is my first season here ever, but maybe it's a combination of factors that everyone in Europe comes here for a winter break, maybe corona enhances the crowd even more, but believe me it's hectic! Thanks to you all for the advices

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:37 am

Most of europe is locked down and not allowed to travel to other countries so its probably long term visitors if its lots of europeans. Medano has always been a pretty busy spot - even in the off season (winter) except on the edge case days (foiling days or really strong winds when you might see normal levels of people). The problem with all the other beaches I have scouted has been the launch/land spots.

I haven't kited from them but a guy at my local spot said he has kited from the beaches on the north coast near Peurto de la Cruz (look on google maps and you can see the ones with beach towels suggesting a good enough launch). He is a soft kite flyer though so he might only be looking for 15 knots to play.

Return to “Kitesurfing”