Favorite Beaches: Viana , Fresh West, Le Morne
Style: Wave
Gear: Duotone, JP custom
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Please help to open SA beaches for kitesurfers

Postby alunj » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:17 pm

Onda wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:02 pm
Funny to see exactly the same discussion developing here like in Germany over the last months.
In Germany, we´re in the middle of the "2nd wave" now, after experiencing an intermediate phase (over summer) with very low infection rates. The isolation rules were loosened again, almost everyone was behaving like there was no virus any more.
The experts were saying: This is super dangerous, we will see a massive 2nd wave in autumn / winter if we don´t continue to restrict people´s mobility.
Everyone else were saying: Look, life is easy again, hardly any new cases, don´t worry!
The experts were right, however.
Now we have almost 1,000 deaths per day and 20,000-30,000 new infections per day. The (very good!) NHS is at the edge of breaking down. And things will get worse for sure.

It is unevitable to separate people, no matter if the rules make sense for each and everyone. Only general, brutal rules will manage to keep infection rates down until 85 % of the population will be successfully vaccinated. In every country.
It is terribly hard for the people and for the democracies all over the world, but is the only possible solution to avoid the terrible JoJo game of lockdown, all-open, lockdown, all-open...

And, BTW: No "flu" has ever meant any trouble for our NHS (or the NHS of Italy, France, Netherlands, USA etc). Never ever over the last several decades. So think about if Covid should be compared with the flu. IT IS NOT!
Every single winter in the U.K. the NHS is in near collapse .
Covid is the straw that breaks the camels back . ICU was allready 80% before our new variant hit
Where I live in wales we have pretty much the lowest rate of ICU beds per 100k population due to years and years of underinvestment and austerity. Those chickens have now come home to roost so the government must introduce these draconian measures to prevent collapse . I would add in U.K. we have a very active flu jab program specifically for the same reasons . Wildly one of the hardest areas to get uptake is healthcare workers !

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:07 pm

In Australia we have had Governments, both State and Federal, mandate lockdowns in certain areas or whole states, mandate masks in certain areas and all based on fact based medical advice with minimal politics.
We have kept the virus under control by and large with the occasional breakout which is jumped on by large numbers of contact tracers and selective lockdowns. Most virus incidences have been due to Australians living overseas and returning home. Although they have been quarantined in selected facilities, the occasional virus escape through transport or other staff has happened and is very hard to stop especially over Christmas and summer holidays which have been happening fairly normally in most states. These outbreaks are dealt with very rapidly and with lots of resources.

Some of the crap in this thread denying the severity of the impacts of this virus and carrying on about freedom and Government control defies logic and science. Australia, New Zealand, Vietnam and even China show that there are ways to deal with this virus without breaking the Health system and having millions die or suffer ongoing medical problems. The economies in all the countries just mentioned have been affected by the virus in one way or another but the impact has been way less than the rest of the world. Many businesses have actually been busier in Australia over the past year due to changes in workplace activity and associated sales of IT and other goods. One of my 85 yo parents was able to have elective surgery replacing a hip and repairing a carpal tunnel problem which was causing horrific pain even opioids weren't stopping. Only because our health system wasn't overwhelmed by COVID.

I, more than most people I know, dislike being told what to do by Governments or people in authority. But I'm not so stupid that I think that me getting my way won't have consequences which will come back to bite me with a vengeance. I believe the credible science on dealing with COVID and I've seen how effective it is in giving me and those around me a normal life until a permanent solution with regard to vaccination etc is found. And don't forget science will keep changing as we learn more about the virus and even vaccination may not solve all the issues in the short term.
These users thanked the author drsurf for the post (total 4):
sarc (Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:40 pm) • ELI (Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:03 pm) • Hugh2 (Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:50 am) • khaakon (Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:49 pm)
Rating: 12.12%

flyingfishza
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Global mostly caribbean and south africa
Favorite Beaches: gonubie reef
Style: Wave
Gear: pivot
Brand Affiliation: Kitesurf hooks

Postby flyingfishza » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:22 pm

2 kitesurfers have just been arrested in Blouberg, locals might want to avoid an entanglement with our finest protect and serve officials.

Some of the reply's on here show a trust in governance that does not exist in SA

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:46 pm

flyingfishza wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:22 pm
2 kitesurfers have just been arrested in Blouberg, locals might want to avoid an entanglement with our finest protect and serve officials.

Some of the reply's on here show a trust in governance that does not exist in SA
You would think a shower would work against Covid-19 as well.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:54 am

I saw that people were kiting yesterday...more than two.

So why those two and others not?

What are they facing? Jail???

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:18 pm

From what I could read they didn't comply with instructions to leave. If so that is rather silly. I don't agree with the restrictions and I think people should be allowed to peacefully protest, but if they had on kiting after being told to stop/leave then I think there are better ways to go about this. If for nothing else you are just placing the local Police in a difficult situation not complying.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post (total 2):
Toby (Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:49 pm) • cor (Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:44 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:38 pm

Local friend says there were lots of kiters out at Bloubergstrand on Monday without problems, so not sure what is happening. Great forecast for this entire week. DAMN, I miss being there.

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:11 pm

Anyone knows when the SA gov is going to announce what happens after the 15.1.?

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:55 pm

They do not telegraph their plans, have to wait till 14.1 I imagine, if not 15.1

Things are very fluid in South Africa like lots of other places. Cases are headed up, deaths inevitably follow, vaccine plans are opaque at best. Not a happy situation.
Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 7.56.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 7.57.23 AM.png

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:02 pm

Hugh2 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:38 pm
Local friend says there were lots of kiters out at Bloubergstrand on Monday without problems, so not sure what is happening. Great forecast for this entire week. DAMN, I miss being there.
Saw a couple videos from people there. Definitely a lot of kiters out. Had a look at the Woo boards and plenty of people posting sessions.

As much as I'm very pro full lockdown restrictions, restricting solo sports is kinda stupid. I understand the reasoning is to stop hospital visits and rescues, but f***.

Return to “Kitesurfing”