Please help to open SA beaches for kitesurfers

Forum for kitesurfers
Antonych
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kitebeach, Cape Town
Cuyo island, Philippines
Soma Bay, Safaga, Egypt
Macapa, Brazil
Style: Big-airs, slides, kiteloops. Airstyle.
Gear: Core kiteboarding
Brand Affiliation: Core
Has thanked: 0

Please help to open SA beaches for kitesurfers

Postby Antonych » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:50 pm

Hi!

Couple of days ago a lockdown level 3 was implemented in South Africa and all the beaches were closed for any activities. Regarding the fact, that it doesn't make any sense, please help to change this for better!
1. Please, sign the petition here http://chng.it/QsGtP7DM
2. Share it on FB
3. Tweet it on Twitter mentioning @DlaminiZuma and @CyrilRamaphosa

Please help to save this season in Cape Town.

BR, Anton.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Please help to open SA beaches for kitesurfers

Postby Havre » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:54 pm

Good luck!

Not that I think anything will change. In the name of Covid anything is OK. Doesn't matter if it makes sense or not.

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:38 pm

Ooooooh so it doesn't make any sense ??

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:44 pm

I can't sign, getting an error message. On Android and Mac.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:49 pm

Leon van Bergen wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:38 pm
Ooooooh so it doesn't make any sense ??
Assuming the information provided is correct - how does it make sense to keep cinemas open while restricting kitesurfing?

Well documented that transmission outside if extremely limited. We had absolutely packed beaches and places for sun bathing during summer in Norway and absolutely no increase in positive tests. Same in Sweden - which never even closed down.

But at this stage this is like discussing democratic principles with someone from North Korea. Any restriction is good because if "saves" lives. The fact that more people have died in Argentina per million than Sweden and Brazil is just conveniently forgotten. I'm just happy I decided not to travel to SA this winter. I do feel sorry for those that have travelled though - and even more sorry for those that suffer the financial consequences in SA for all the restrictions.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:16 pm

The beaches are being closed because people tend to socialize, and unfortunately drink, on the beaches, leading to dropped social distancing. If you allowed kitesurfers, who are almost exclusively white and rich, to use the beaches but forbade the masses from doing so, especially over this holiday season when Christmas Day and New Years Day are traditionally the times of massive beach going (I know because I am South African and lived there till 1982 and have spent the holiday season in Cape Town for the last decade), then you would be facing massive cries of outrage. Have you been on a Cape Town beach on either of those holidays in the past decade? Tell me what you saw. The government has a responsibility to try to contain the virus, especially in the face of an apparently more rapidly spreading strain and a weak public health system, and this is a reasonable way to help that cause, amoungst many other restrictions. I feel sorry for the foreign kiters like Langaree and Walker who flew there, I still wish I was there instead of waiting for my vaccine shot while nursing my rotator cuff surgery in cold Illinois, as well as my local friends and the local kite shops, but I fully understand what the government is trying to do - it is their responsibility to do this.
These users thanked the author Hugh2 for the post:
Anthonyshopguy (Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:56 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Havre
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Havre » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:34 pm

Exactly. Any restriction is good or "responsible". No matter if it makes sense or not. If you want to lock down at least do it properly.

I suggest the SA government give Argentina a call. Ask them how a military controlled lockdown worked for them.

Critical thinking is however not "responsible" these days. Complying to whatever random restriction is put on people is.

Obviously they are free to do whatever they want in SA. And I do not question their intentions, but it doesn't make it right (or in this case especially intelligent).

And yes. I have been to CT during these months.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:15 pm

Well, just have to disagree with you then, sorry.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Havre » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:48 pm

I doubt you are nearly as sorry as I am. Even if you almost convinced me they are doing the right thing in SA with you strong arguments.

wvickers
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay, Montauk, MIchigan
Favorite Beaches: Depends on the conditions
I love all beaches that aren't polluted, especially when there is either wind or waves
Gear: Naish, Ozone, Slingshot, Moses, Fanatic but bought, sold and tried many others
TT, foils, and surfboard
Old windsurfers and a wingy foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby wvickers » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:14 pm

Would have to agree that many of the restrictions and/or recommendation are not evidence based or even make common sense

For example like recommending and allowing bandanas or single layer clothes as masks in a confined space....but what to do as there really is NOT good epidemiological data on beaches and transmission

What about keeping the beaches open but restricting the amount of people that can congregate
I am believer that being on a beach or outside is important for mental and physical health.....and anyone in government should recognize this

At least then people can get outside and be healthy...unfortunately it needs to be monitored as some can make even an outdoor beach space "higher risk"

Geesh the depressing World we live in at the moment

Happy New Year

Hope KOA is not cancelled
These users thanked the author wvickers for the post:
Havre (Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:16 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”