Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Covid vaccine

Forum for kitesurfers
Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Covid vaccine

Postby Dave_5280 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:15 pm

If you want a chance to get the vaccine early, search for a phase 3 trial of a vaccine near you and try to enter if you can, and they may even pay you to do it. I got in the Johnson and Johnson phase 3 trial and got the shot the end of November. I reacted to the shot so I know it wasn’t the placebo, and I had pain at the injection site, was tired for a few days, and had some nerve pains mostly in my legs, but overall it hasn’t been that bad. Still having some nerve sensation mostly at night, but again not that bad.

To start the process I had to answer questions online, then it told me I qualified and gave me an address where it would be done and that they would call me - but I called them and made an appointment. The first appointment was 3 to 4 hours, with lots of questions and explanations and forms, blood draw and nasal swab but the swab was shallow and not the deep painful one I’ve heard about. Then they gave me a shot of vaccine or placebo and made me wait 15 minutes to be sure I was ok to drive home.

They also gave me an app on my iPhone that I check in on Mondays and Thursdays to answer a question if I have had any Covid symptoms- if you answer no, that is all you enter so it is quick, if you answer yes then there are more questions and you start using the self testing equipment they give you - thermometer, pulse ox reader, and nasal swab test kits which they pick up at your home to analyze.

30 days latter I had my second appointment and they asked me a few questions and took a blood draw. It took about an hour. And they told me that I didn’t have antibodies in my blood they took during my first appointment- which if I did you wouldn’t think they would want me in the trial.

They say that 99% of those that get the vaccine have antibodies after 29 days. They were planning on enrolling 60,00o people from different countries but reduced that to 40,000 because there’s so much virus circulation that they will get the exposures they need with 40,000 people. But they started a second trial to learn if the results will be better with two shots 30 days apart (my trial is one shot). I’ve got friends in both trials.

It has been a good experience for me and it is reassuring to know I probably have been vaccinated. I’m still careful and wear the mask and take the same precautions.

You can search at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02194699

You can sign up for Johnson & Johnson trials at: https://www.ensemblestudy.com//?utm_...enwQAvD_BwE#!/

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Covid vaccine

Postby Topaz » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:32 pm

No wonder they may even offer to pay you. Early vaccination is pretty much being a guinea pig. I don't believe those VIP that appear on the new as being vaccinated.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:19 am

Topaz wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:32 pm
No wonder they may even offer to pay you. Early vaccination is pretty much being a guinea pig. I don't believe those VIP that appear on the new as being vaccinated.
Thanks, I think it’s good to be aware of the potential risks and they need to be considered against the alternatives. And they do a good job warning you when you enter the study.

I’ve got friends that have already gotten vaccinated, 2 by the Moderna vaccine, and one by the Pfizer vaccine. Fortunately, they are all doing well.

I’m worried about long term permanent damage or death from Covid since I know 3 people that have died from it, one was only 21 years old and didn’t have any other health problems. I’ve read that some have a delayed reaction to the infection and there’s an over reaction that damages organs.

But everyone has to decide what risks they are willing to take. Just like those of us that are kitesurfers and others who think our sport is too risky.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:03 am

Dave_5280 wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:15 pm
I reacted to the shot so I know it wasn’t the placebo, and I had pain at the injection site, was tired for a few days, and had some nerve pains mostly in my legs, but overall it hasn’t been that bad. Still having some nerve sensation mostly at night, but again not that bad.
I’ve had friends in both Pfizer and Moderna trials. Unfortunately you cannot correlate injection site reaction to placebo or experimental arms of the trial. Friends have had placebo with a reaction. Others received the vaccine and had no reaction at all. Most have a reaction in both arms of the trial. Their trials were unmasked on access to the vaccine for health care providers.

Most vaccines contain adjuvants to wake up the immune system. Hence the likelihood of an injection site reaction with placebo. The big differences between the vaccines will be how they present inactive virus epitopes to the immune system and what adjuvants are chosen. The adjuvants commonly used have many decades track record of safety. Moderna and Pfizer are using a new technique with mRNA vaccines. J&J is using adenoviral vaccines which is are well established.

Good heads up on how the get earlier access. The mechanism of this vaccine tends to safety so I would have no reservations about participating in a trial. My only concern would be loss of access to a known vaccine during the trial of the vaccine. The biggest risk is a non effective trial vaccine or receiving placebo meaning there may be a need to get inoculated again after the trial.

Risk of myocarditis in young athletes with sub clinical COVID 19 infection has me pretty convinced my kids will get inoculated as soon as I am able to provide. My wife and I have already had our first inoculation by local hospital (one Pfizer one Moderna). Finally vaccination is not only to protect ourselves but also people we care about who cannot get the vaccine due to health or access.

Finally for those who worry about unknown chemicals in the vaccine: why not worry as well about the unknown chemicals the virus will force your body to create using your own cellular machinery?
Last edited by jakemoore on Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post (total 2):
DAnderson (Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:11 pm) • golfaroo (Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:35 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dave_5280 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:20 am

I’m really happy about getting it so early, and while I still have to be careful given uncertainty around new variants and other possibilities, it does help.

In the study they mention they will give you the vaccine or placebo a second time when and if it is approved, to keep it blind. The J&J studies called Ensemble and Ensemble 2 (for the 2 shot study) are expecting early results mid- January and approval in February.

My wife and some friends have got appointments for the 2 shot study, since they couldn’t get into the first study because they got everyone they needed.
These users thanked the author Dave_5280 for the post:
jakemoore (Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:24 am)
Rating: 3.03%

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:40 am

Dave_5280 wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:15 pm
... I reacted to the shot so I know it wasn’t the placebo, and I had pain at the injection site, was tired for a few days, and had some nerve pains mostly in my legs, but overall it hasn’t been that bad. Still having some nerve sensation mostly at night, but again not that bad.

Sometimes placebos are saline solutions. Sometimes they're actual vaccines for different diseases.

https://theconversation.com/coronavirus ... ebo-146365

Redmachine
Rare Poster
Gear: Twintip and Surf
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Redmachine » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:31 am

is getting 2 different vaccines better than 1?

dont know how you can get 2 different vaccines in a trial. if you get a long term reaction you would not know which on did it. if you are protected you would not know which one helped.

oregonkiter
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: Foil stuff

Postby oregonkiter » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:55 am

Thanks for the link. No trials in my area, unfortunately, but I am on the list if that changes.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dave_5280 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:00 am

Redmachine wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:31 am
is getting 2 different vaccines better than 1?

dont know how you can get 2 different vaccines in a trial. if you get a long term reaction you would not know which on did it. if you are protected you would not know which one helped.
The study I’m in is a one shot program. If the vaccine they gave me is approved, they will give it to those that got the placebo.

They are also doing a second study with a 2 shot program, both shots with same vaccine, probably 30 days apart, to see if that gives more protection than the one shot program.

There’s no data on using 2 different vaccines but they are going to study it and Britain has decide to do that if the first vaccine given isn’t available when needed for the second shot. NYT Article on Britain: https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiE ... id=US%3Aen
These users thanked the author Dave_5280 for the post:
jumptheshark (Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:30 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:40 pm

I work in healthcare at a hospital. I got the first dose of Pfizer and no side effects beyond a little shoulder muscle soreness at injection side. No issues. I kited the same day. Will receive the second dose in a couple weeks.

The number of previously young and healthy Covid patients with long term health effects scares the $&@# out of me. So glad to have an opportunity to get the vaccine!

I’ve said since the beginning I feel safer at work face to face with an infectious (but masked) Covid patient while wearing my full PPE than in the grocery store with unmasked idiots walking around. They’ve gotten better, though.

Return to “Kitesurfing”