Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

line knife or hook knife, slightly bigger one recommendations

Forum for kitesurfers
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.76m
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9076° W (UK South Coast)
Gear: Lieuwe Shotguns
Ozone Enduro V2s
Flite 14.5 Aluula
Duotone Fish
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: line knife or hook knife, slightly bigger one recommendations

Postby iriejohn » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:51 pm

knyfe wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:48 pm
These knives all look good when new. The big question is how they perform after 4 years of saltwater and sitting in the harness pocket without any care or attention. I recall the early ones were all totally toast. My Dakine cut well the last time I checked - which was probably 4 years into usage.

Anyone tested a 4yo Ezycut knife?

I doubt these companies to a correct electrochemical lifetime testing. User experience and feedback is needed. G
Look fine when I replace them so probably not necessary, but I change the Eezycut blades every year.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:53 pm

knyfe wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:48 pm
These knives all look good when new. The big question is how they perform after 4 years of saltwater and sitting in the harness pocket without any care or attention. I recall the early ones were all totally toast. My Dakine cut well the last time I checked - which was probably 4 years into usage.

Anyone tested a 4yo Ezycut knife?

I doubt these companies to a correct electrochemical lifetime testing. User experience and feedback is needed. G

That's why ezzycuts come with extra blades... I also rinse mine with fresh water and leave it out of the sleeve to dry...

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:01 pm

JTKiter wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:29 am
Definitely a good idea. However, I'm still unclear on how often people use their line knives to save themselves in a kite accident. I've never done so and I've never heard of anyone doing so. I'm just trying to gather data, not saying it doesn't happen. I know that "all it takes is once" to make it worthwhile!

I don't think A knife is going to save you in a lofting type situation. It's more line tangles or getting wrapped where you will wish you had a good knife. You also can run into unexpected lines in the water. Better to have and never use than not have in an emergency..

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:03 pm

Kiting since 2005, I've never had to use it or seen anyone who had to use it. However, it doesn't hurt to have it handy. Yes, something that can cut any line would be better than the stock. And replace it before it's too rusty. I don't do it though. I haven't taken out my knife in a while. I guess it must be pretty rusty. Maybe a good time to get a new one.

I think something more useful than a knife would be to have a whistle, specially if you venture away from the shore once in a while.

Not long ago, while foiling a bit away from the shore, a motor boat dragging a sort of paraglide that they use to carry tourists around didn't pay attention and his line was perfectly directed to tangle with my lines. I shouted and waved but nothing. I ended up sitting my kite on the water to avoid the tangle.
Another time, cruising on a paddleboard, a big fishing boat was heading right to me pretty fast. I started to shout and wave my paddle. He finally changed course. I don't know at what point he started to pay attention and saw me, but I felt the boat was coming to me too fast and it got too close.

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:05 pm

matth wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:01 pm
I don't think A knife is going to save you in a lofting type situation. It's more line tangles or getting wrapped where you will wish you had a good knife. You also can run into unexpected lines in the water. Better to have and never use than not have in an emergency..
+1 If the kite is dragging you hard, there's no way you have time and freedom of movement to find the knife, pull it out, and start cutting lines.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:34 pm

I carry a Myerchin dive safety sheep foot knife, 🔪, which has a rounded nose. They do not have any handle mouldings so they are slim to carry, but you may feel the need for a wrist lanyard as they do not float. They are expensive, very sharp and a good tool in my experience. Japanese SS. Pouches/mounts available.

Only close to one case of use with kites. Guy got himself tangled, pulled but was able to cut his leg free during a lull in the dragging. I believe the dragging was not too bad but I seem to remember him somewhat concerned about how tight the line was getting. If you ride near dinghy sailors they sometimes get entrapment problems after a capsize...........

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:08 pm

I must hang out in the wrong places or at the wrong times. I had to use mine twice on others both times. One guy was tangled in a fishing net and was too close to drowning. The second guy had his lines tangled around a boat that was tied to a buoy and was being dragged underneath the boat. I think his primary release worked but the leash was stuck and the current was pulling him under. Both ended fine except new lines were necessary of course.
As an aside, it is far more difficult to cut lines with a kite attached to you in the wind with the current pulling you also. Much harder than working on your own lines that you are attached to. Be prepared for a struggle but in the moment there is plenty of adrenaline if you can control it. One star, Not recommended.

knyfe
Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:15 pm

I definitely want to have one with me. Wave mess ups and tumbles have a good chance to line tangles as well as loops where you hammer the kite on the water and ride joyfully straight into the lines —— done that but so far have been lucky. Also this summer we had a few beginners wrap themselves on the water. Scary without a knife.

Rob112
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hove
Lancing
Shoreham
Worthing
Goring
Gear: Pivot
Asylum
Mixer

Postby Rob112 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:14 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:54 am
matth wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:39 am
papasmerf wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:44 am

liking that double sidedness,,, winner so far, imo.
This should convince you.....great knives, I wear one on each side of my harness..
Me too.
Me three

Ventum
Rare Poster
Gear: Kites - Ventum Xcite & Xplore
Boards - Joyrider & Karma
Bar - Tough Bar
Brand Affiliation: Ventum Kiteboarding

Postby Ventum » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:49 pm

Topaz wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:05 pm
matth wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:01 pm
+1 If the kite is dragging you hard, there's no way you have time and freedom of movement to find the knife, pull it out, and start cutting lines.
True but you can safe someone in that situation by having one. So if we all have one, we can all help eachother in the situations where we are not able to help ourselves with these knives. But I still dont know if a 8-9mm PU covered depowercord can be cut with the one shown here. For sure not with the standard one.
These users thanked the author Ventum for the post:
Topaz (Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:18 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Return to “Kitesurfing”