Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Dealing with a real world death loop in 30 knot conditions

Forum for kitesurfers
Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Dealing with a real world death loop in 30 knot conditions

Postby Herman » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:31 am

What I took from the video was that slappysan was probably lucky in some respects. He was dragged for ~ 4 loops the the 5th loop lofted him enabling him to make the decision to flag.

Had he been dragged for more loops before being lofted, at some point releasing the qr, would not of flagged the kite because of line twists. He would then have been dragged or teabagged until he released the kite entirely losing both kite and board.

Trouble is the scenario is never the same.

The way slappysan stayed so calm and collected was impressive! Would it be worth attempting to unwrap the bar and re-ride is another question to ask yourself?
Last edited by Herman on Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:44 am

Poor judgement while kite is turning (deathloop is when the kite never stops turning in the air) in knee-high chop (we call them ankle biters).
If the kite turns when you don't want it to, you release to safety first and ask questions later. If you wait 3 turns or more the safety will jam. Don't be 'that guy'
I hope people don't take this video as a reference. Taking lessons from a qualified instructor is always a good idea no matter how long you have kited!

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:01 am

I think saying this was poor judgement is unhelpful imho. Particularly when you have 20/20 hindsight! It is not unrealistic to take some time and risk to sort a problem.

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:02 am

No offence Slappysun, this happened 3 month ago? Falling and twisting the bar. We can all only learn from your vids, i appreciate to see and remember things when they go south.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:37 am

Herman wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:01 am
I think saying this was poor judgement is unhelpful imho. Particularly when you have 20/20 hindsight! It is not unrealistic to take some time and risk to sort a problem.
No offense and in the interest of our community's safety (it can be a dangerous sports after all): if the kite does not do what you want it to do, release to safety leash FIRST and THEN figure out what's happening. Personally, the microsecond I know I'm not in control it's hasta la vista chicken loop and hola safety leash.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:42 am

If there was a an award for best forum contributions for 2020 I would definitely vote for Slappysan, and for second place I would vote for his bar!

sarc
I don’t wish to appear to be taking offence on others behalf but I would not want to discourage this sort of open discussion by, perhaps, a poor judgement of words. Your philosophy has merit but just with the kite in the water on slack lines you are not in control. Following your philosophy would require immediate qr release, I would be surprised if you actually meant that, unless I have misunderstood!

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:59 pm

Yes on the water, slack lines, even wrapped in lines maybe, then release, of course (worked for me)

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Postby edt » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:23 pm

I totally understand his reluctance to use the qr. He's 3km from shore and trying to save a long swim. I would have immediately thrown the qr but I've got no problem with his choices considering the situation. The video did a good job showing just how difficult it is to see where it's wrapped in a real life death loop. Only on the slow mo relay could he even tell what happened to the bar.

johnm
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby johnm » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:26 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:31 am
15 years on after the first death loop deaths we have seen barely any discussion of this from brands. It is almost as if their designers are so inexperienced that they don't actuallt know.
sad but true :cry:

any kite manufacturers / reps care to comment?

are brands motivated to 'design out' this known issue?

cor
Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:41 pm

One reason I don´t like the Cabrinha bar are these weird downward pointing "knobs" at the ends of the bar. Even if he would´ve recognized what´s wrong with the lines, they make it almost impossible to get the lines right again under the tension of 30 knots. With other bars like the core sensor it´s way easier to get the lines right again. It´s time that also brands take part in this discussion. The more kiters there are, the more death loops.

Thank you, Slappysan, for sharing and glad to hear you are ok. In my view, you did great handling the situation. However, it´s always easy to discuss and criticize this after, but when you are stuck in that situation, it´s a whole different story. I know. Have been there as well.

Return to “Kitesurfing”