Forum for kitesurfers
Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Predictions for Ram Airs in 2021

Postby Matteo V » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:44 am

Pump me up wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:50 pm
....Another major weakness of the soft structure of ram airs is a lack of tactile feedback. Ram air kites are soft so the feedback is soft, sloppy, and imprecise. The more rigid a kite is, the more nuanced is the feedback to the rider, e.g. kite position, speed of turn, and gradations of power delivery.
Cheers,
:pump: ........... Pumpy
Ram air kites are actually more rigid than and have always had better feedback as well as "more controls" over the various flight charastericts of the kite, than SLE tubies. The extra rigidity of foil kites comes from the fully supported underside resulting from the le to te bridle attachments.

But yes, maybe the Legaignoux brothers are onto something with their high pressure kites.

And thanks for trolling up the discussion. With Aluula, it has become relevant once again.

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Ice101 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:02 am

Ram airs are only just starting to show you the advantages actually since the invention of the soul. The soul is easier to launch than a lei. The soul is easier to relaunch than an lei off water and quicker most of the time. The soul has more hang time than the vast majority of lei kites. The soul can boost from stand still, an lei needs movement momentum and speed to be able to boost. The soul boosts if it flies. An lei will only mo grass when it just flies. The soul can be flown in lighter winds. The days of sloppy feed back are gone with ram airs. They now control very good and loop as well.
The ram air has now evolved. Nearly every company has tried to copy the souls characteristics as they know is is the beginning of something awesome and since it’s invention which has only been 3 years the ram air market has increased considerably. once some more time has been put into perfecting this new addition to the kite world in the next generations you will see even more positives beyond with the lei. Aluula has obviously improved the lei significantly but When the first aluula rams are built well we will see then!
These users thanked the author Ice101 for the post:
Gestalt (Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:28 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Inflatables

Postby Pump me up » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:06 am

Ice101 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:02 am
Ram airs are only just starting to show you the advantages actually since the invention of the soul. The soul ... BLA BLA BLA lies and exaggerations
It's the same old, tired tune. Every year ram lovers make ridiculous claims about how the latest ram air kite will "dominate." Their kites then go on to get blown out of the water. For example, ram lovers claimed that various kites from Flysurfer (Psycho, Silver Arrow, Warrior, Voodoo, Titan, Soul, Insert Name Here..... etc) would beat inflatable kites on X, Y, or Z parameters. It never happens.

Ignore the lies. Ignore the propaganda. Ram air kites are aerodynamically inferior cf inflatables and nothing can change this.

Pumpy ............... :pump:

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:24 am

I don't care which kite is better, faster or whatever.. sometimes the feeling gets important too.. 8)
I like ramairs, singe skin foils and tubes.
Enjoy whatever you fly and grow up Pumpy.. :bye:

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:17 am

And ram airs win every race going and have done for a long time!

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:24 pm

Pump me up wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:06 am

It's the same old, tired tune.
You got that right!

Pumpy, you can at least take solace in the fact that less responses every year is a clear indication that your efforts have been successful!

And the bit about this all being old and tired... I'm only joking.

I see it more as timeless tradition, sort of like Santa Claus.

Best wishes to you, sir.
These users thanked the author Trent hink for the post:
Pump me up (Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:44 am)

NorthernKitesAu
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 84
Local Beach: Townsville, QLD
Favorite Beaches: Altona, VIC
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Peter Lynn Arcs, Flysurfer, Ozone, everything
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn

Postby NorthernKitesAu » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:15 am

Oh here we go again - foils vs tubes

Just one view: bladders pop.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:08 am

Pump me up wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:06 am
Ice101 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:02 am
Ram airs are only just starting to show you the advantages actually since the invention of the soul. The soul ... BLA BLA BLA lies and exaggerations
It's the same old, tired tune. Every year ram lovers make ridiculous claims about how the latest ram air kite will "dominate." Their kites then go on to get blown out of the water. For example, ram lovers claimed that various kites from Flysurfer (Psycho, Silver Arrow, Warrior, Voodoo, Titan, Soul, Insert Name Here..... etc) would beat inflatable kites on X, Y, or Z parameters. It never happens.

Ignore the lies. Ignore the propaganda. Ram air kites are aerodynamically inferior cf inflatables and nothing can change this.

Pumpy ............... :pump:
Ice 101 wasn't around for most of depower foils history, apparently.

Ozone had decent foils back in the 05's. And decent is an understatement as they were better than any inflatable at the time. HQ dominated with better designs than Ozone with the Montana (v5, v6, v7), and the Matrixx (v1 15m only) around 2010.

Then Elf and Ozone finally surpassed HQ with the entry of depower race kites to the market in the 2015's. Eventually giving us the Chrono 2. And that is where we are at right now

But up until a few years ago, Flysurfer was busy making everyone think big foilkites sucked. There was really no way to sell a Speed Series (2-5) to someone who actually tried one against another manufacture's big kite. Even Pansh kites caught up with Flysurfer Speed series in 2018 with the Pansh A-15. But lots of kiters ordered Speeds "sight unseen" back in the day and learned to hate light wind. So giving Flysurfer credit for finally catching up to 2010 in 2018, is a bit of a stretch. Maybe focus on the success of the "Peak". That is Flysurfer's only real claim to fame.

madworld
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Postby madworld » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:04 am

Ram air kites should be only used with boat support, the lines, bridles, and kites sewing of the kite are fragile and break all the time. You can not self rescue, they create quit a burden on the local rescue services were I kite.
These users thanked the author madworld for the post:
Pump me up (Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:40 am)

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:11 am

My Flysurfer 19m Speed3 Deluxe was pretty awesome with a large door, but I liked the 15m Sonic better

Return to “Kitesurfing”