Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Predictions for Ram Airs in 2021

Postby Janus » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:34 pm

airsail wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:29 pm
As a long time foil kite user I only agree with Pumpy on one point, unassisted self landing of a foil kite in higher wind ranges. Unassisted meaning no hooks, anchors or other devices, just get to back to the beach and drop the kite on the sand. I keep an Ozone Edge in the quiver for those days when I may have to self land in high winds, much easier and safer but not the performance of a foil kite.
Personally I wouldn't unassist selfland my tubie in the described conditions either..

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:22 pm

Janus wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:34 pm
airsail wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:29 pm
As a long time foil kite user I only agree with Pumpy on one point, unassisted self landing of a foil kite in higher wind ranges. Unassisted meaning no hooks, anchors or other devices, just get to back to the beach and drop the kite on the sand. I keep an Ozone Edge in the quiver for those days when I may have to self land in high winds, much easier and safer but not the performance of a foil kite.
Personally I wouldn't unassist selfland my tubie in the described conditions either..
airsail and Pumpy are right on with this one. I'm also a longtime foil user but use inflatables on water now.

For anchored landing (not launch):

First choice is inflatable in high or gutsy wind conditions.

Second choice would be open cell foil.

Last choice on landing is closed cell foil.

But on the snow, I can usually find a wind shadow to get foils down if it is really crazy.

Atte
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Tablas island , Philippine's.
Style: Hydrofoil Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, peak

Postby Atte » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:48 pm

There is no reason to give up an argument just because you know that you are wrong

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:27 pm

ram airs have an open vent and mesh , like a flexifoil blade

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Inflatables

Postby Pump me up » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:47 am

dave1986 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:00 am
@Pump Me Up - I am impressed with your stamina and perseverance on this topic. You have continued this topic on Kiteforum.com for almost 18 years years now (see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5659).
Always makes me laugh when I see the topic pop up each year!
Thanks Dave!
But I'm actually approaching the 20th anniversary. I started posting in 2002 as a "guest".
Cheers,
Pumpy .................. :pump:

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:39 am

Wonder what your advice is to the growing number of kiters with both pump-up and ram air kites?...

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:06 pm

Pump me up wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:47 am
dave1986 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:00 am
@Pump Me Up - I am impressed with your stamina and perseverance on this topic. You have continued this topic on Kiteforum.com for almost 18 years years now (see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5659).
Always makes me laugh when I see the topic pop up each year!
Thanks Dave!
But I'm actually approaching the 20th anniversary. I started posting in 2002 as a "guest".
Cheers,
Pumpy .................. :pump:
The amazing thing is that this guy was spouting off this stuff back when foils were superior in every respect to tubies (pre-2005 to 2007). There is a lot to be said for someone who is completely wrong, but sticks with it until things change to where he is partially right. Once again, maybe Aluula will make him completely right.

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:06 pm

He will never be completely right. Foils kites will always be superior to LEIs for racing - they have superior lift to drag ratio and this is proven on the race course.

Certainly Aluula is closing the gap for light wind riding compared with foil kites. But I dont think it's quite there yet.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:46 pm

dave1986 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:06 pm
He will never be completely right.
I'm gonna steer clear of saying never. Maybe one day.

Really wish I was out in Utah right now up at skyline. That is the spot where there will be 20 kiters, 15 on LEI's, and 5 on foils, all struggling. Then it will drop 1knot and all the foils look the same, but the tubies are all down on the snow.

I'm hoping to see a gold leading edge making it work next to my 2011 foilkite one day. Then it's time to buy a new kite! Till then, I guess I'll just keep appreciating Pumpy's enthusiasm. Ya know, he's just little high spirited, that's all.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:31 pm

Definitely interesting times in kite development.

One year. Well, more like 8 months.

This time last year I was all in on tube kites. Had been for over a decade. Had C kites, wave kites, singlestrut, strutless, a delta and a few beaters for bashing around on the ice and snow. Then Peter Frank wrote a review of the Peak4 5m for freeride hydrofoiling and I took a chance.

Best move ever. Now I have 4 of em and have shed a pile of redundant tube kites. What's so funny, is my preferred kites (by a long shot) are not the highest performance kites by nearly any measure. They don't go faster, jump higher, point upwind better or any of that garbage. They may not be high performance, but they clearly outperform for chasing swell on a hydrofoil and come with a host of convenience and safety features I never could have imagined. Even relaunch has turned out to be a red herring argument I cant really be too bothered countering. If that is your main reason for not getting one.... you shouldn't get one.

Still have a bit of a kite gear museum. Can't part with a few things just yet, but truthfully have no intention of using them until the right novelty day comes along. For how I want to spend my time on the water... they just cant match my low performance single skin foils for fun factor.
Last edited by jumptheshark on Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”