Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How long is your drive to the Kiting Spot, how long is your Session, how exhausted are you after the session

Forum for kitesurfers
Pitu
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: 2020 Naish Pivot 7,9,12
CrazyFly Raptor
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How long is your drive to the Kiting Spot, how long is your Session, how exhausted are you after the session

Postby Pitu » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:55 am

1. For NNE to SSW winds, around 20 min drive. For S to SE 40 min drive... For NEE to SEE winds 2 hour drive. I hate eastern winds.
2. 1-4 hours usually daylight is the limiting factor.
3. Especially after a looping session my core is completely wrecked. I try not to laugh the next day because it hurts too much. :p

Constakite
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 84 kg
Local Beach: 5-6 spots in Denmark
Favorite Beaches: @Denmark, Holland and Spain
Style: Bigair, Oldschool.
Gear: Best Roca 7m2
CrazyFly Hyper 9, 10, 12m2
Duotone Select 135x40
CORE Fusion 139x39

Re: How long is your drive to the Kiting Spot, how long is your Session, how exhausted are you after the session

Postby Constakite » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:25 am

Great topic
@80-100 sessions a year for me.
1. Most often I drive 30-45 minutes to my favorite spot, however the drive for all wind directions is 1,5 hours max - I ride about 5-6 spots
2. Kiting time depends on the season, in summer my sessions average 4 hours, weekens are 7+ hours; In winter it's 2 -3 hours max.
3. Pretty run down after a long sesh, even more beat after 2 consecutive days.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:31 am

I think some might be exaggerating the time spent riding :wink:

1. 45-90 mins depending on the spot. Quite evenly distributed between 3 spots. Of course I prefer the two that are farthest away.
2. In Norway typically 60-90 mins on the water. Mostly because the wind is rarely amazing - and in the fall it gets dark in the evenings after work. Might get lucky during the weekend getting a full day of wind so that one can have several sessions, but doesn't happen often during spring/summer/autumn in the Oslo area.
3. Varies a lot depending on the conditions and how regularly I get to kite. I exercise every day so in terms of general fitness I am not very tired after a normal session, but the core definitely tires if there are weeks if not months between each session.

Extremely envious at those that can just walk or ride a bike down to the beach. Loved that bike with the board on the side!

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:59 am

1. 25 minutes to 75 minutes depending on the spot (mostly though either 25 minutes or 45 minutes)
2. I aim for 60 minutes on the water. 45 minutes to 90 minutes in general as I can't take too much time away from the family on a regular basis.
3. Fresh if I hydrofoil. Mostly feel destroyed if I ride twin tip (fine coming off the water but sets in on the drive home). Varies though based on what I'm working on. I try not to gas out on the water as I know I have a young family to be active with when I get home but its easy (especially in the winter when its cold) to stay out that little bit extra if the wind is good and pay for it the next day. Likewise I know I can't go two days in a row so I pick the best days only and go hard

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Skater, Motion, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:43 am

1) 45 Min to closest spots on the river. I go there if the forecast is strong enough, if I do not want to sit in the car for a longer time, in the summer after work during the week.
The better spots are on the coast which is 60 -90 min away.
2) 2 - 3 hrs
3) Pretty exhausted after riding twin tip or surfboard with lots of jumping or manoeuvres. That is fine, I would also be exhausted after doing other sports steadily for 2-3 hours. I feel pretty sore for 1-2 days afterwards. On the foil I am cruising and carving and find that not very exhaustive.

Baptiste_FR
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Normandy
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Rally (12-9-7m²)

Postby Baptiste_FR » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:48 am

1. 4 hours drive (the spot is near my parent's house in Normandy, so I spend the week-end or a few days with them). Once at their home, it's a 5 minutes drive ;
2. 2/2.5 hours session (around 1.5 hours during winter because it gets cold) ;
3. I'm fine after the session, but when come the evening I'm really tired and sleep. Abdominals hurt for a few days.

fatkiter
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Ozone zephyr 17m
Switch Element 14m
Ozone catalyst 10m
Naish haze 144 x 45
SU2 Bigfoot 145 x45

Postby fatkiter » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:00 pm

1,5 hours for North Winds and 2 hours for South winds One way...

Usual session 2-3 hours but with brakes

If wind was good and we kite like 2wice a week i feel fine but if I didn't kite for a week or more then whole body hurts for 2 days 🙃 Also my back always hurts after sessions but I have a problem with discs etc...

I leave only 500 m away from the beach but there is rarely kitable conditions locally... maybe when I learn to foil...

slide
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 78kg
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes , uk
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards ,souls , spd5s

Postby slide » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:11 pm

46 miles , an hour , yea my abbs hurt when i've had a good one which last saturday i did and they hurt for3 days ,and every time i'd get a twitch , it reminds me of that session :D i love that bit

and at my local any winds that have easterly's in are never smooth and the stronger they are the more bumpy they get -the fishing boat men there don't like them either

in the old days (early 2000's) i used to kite for 6 to 8 hours , but now after kidney cancer 2009 (removed), and then secondry to my brain in 2011 (shrunk) and a type 1 diabetic for 21 years and i had a mild stroke 3 months ago, so i'm bollicked after 3 or 4 hours , but i still intend to kite 3 or 4 times a week , but lockdown has stuffed that for a bit , but i did have a great session last week

i have my own gym in my garden and yesterday i did squats, leg raises and calf raises , and today i intend to some biceps and triceps , i try to do some most days and i do like to keep my self strong for kiting , i'm 59 in feb and keep positive and fit and thats how iv'e got this far :thumb: still kiting , still loving , still living , i'm staying alive
Last edited by slide on Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:23 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:17 pm

Out more than 250 days per year, not that often in the winter though, snow and ice and most problematic: Dark after work so mostly weekends possible.
Number of sessions?
Depends on how you define sessions on a given day - Each spot you drive to and ride?
Each time you get into/out of your suit/shorts?
Each time you take another type say waveboard/wavekite or wingfoil or kitefoil or TT etc?
Or each time you take another board and rig another kite or wing size?
If the latter, I am around 400 sessions per year, quite often riding waveboard and wingfoil and kitefoil same day same spot, and sometimes out at several spots the same day.

1. A few minutes walk or drive from home, max 25 minutes in all 360 degrees of wind directions locally, but often drive 45 minutes for good wave conditions or better spots. 1½ max 2 hour drive to really big waves sometimes. But we got almost hundred spots quite close max 45 minutes drive :naughty:

2. 20 minutes to 8 hours, as if wind dies or it gets dark, or you want to do something else, 20 minutes is better than nothing. 7-8 hours if a really good summerday. Most days a couple of hours average I think.

3. Yes, often sore in a good way, but not tired - feels good, afterwards, and can be slightly sore a couple of days after, if really hard sessions, but usually out the next day or the day after again.

#3 has been like that since I was 16 and started surfing, dont exercise much now (did earlier years ago when wave windsurf was only a few times a month) with so many surf options every day, as you get all the exercise needed when you surf a lot :thumb:
Only when you can not go out for a shile, like here in icy winter some days, I might exercise yes, but surf so much that it is better to take a break and charge the batteries again :rollgrin:

8) Peter

TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, & Moses Hydrofoil

Postby TheRussian » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:33 pm

67miles from my "local" beach & usually can get there in under 60mins, providing I leave early to miss the traffic, obviously never exceeding 70mph... your honour.

I kite for between 2-4 hours & find that after a hot green/ginger tea, I feel fine - abs used to feel like they'd had a workout, but since resuming Kung Fu regularly (one of the few benefits of Covid - all classes are on zoom), abs are fine.

Return to “Kitesurfing”